The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oakcroft vs. McGuinn Trunk

Hi guys, is there a huge difference between the quality of a McGuinn trunk and an Oakcroft. Oakcroft has the options that seem to make is on an equal level as the McGuinn (ie varnished interior) or is it really the quality of the construction that separates the two. Also, does the McGuinn trunk come standard with a top panel or is that an add on. Thanks in advanced!

From what I've seen, the McGuinn trunks are of better quality. I also prefer Phoenix West to the Oakcroft as well.

If I had to rank in order, I would rank McGuinn, Phoenix West and then Oakcroft. It seems that the east coast trainers do a lot of business with McGuinn and west coast with Phoenix West.

My Oakcroft looks nice from far away, but on closer inspection some joints don't match up perfectly, and some spots on the vinyl aren't as level. I would go with the other companies, especially since Oakcrofts customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by Libby416; Oct. 22, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

I am a dealer for Phoenix West so if you want any info about what we can do PM me!

I have one of each, although the Oakcroft is a wooden trunk and not vinyl. Both trunks are very nice, but overall the quality of the McGuinn is better. Everything seems to be reinforced better and the wood is heavier. Unless you are moving the trunk around a lot, to and from shows, the Oakcroft may suit your needs.

McGuinn trunks are more expensive, and the vinyl top is an upcharge, as is piping on each panel. I think my trunk cost about $1400, including shipping. For comparison, I bought the wooden Oakcroft trunk from Dover at a tent sale and paid less than $400. Both trunks are about the same size.

If you don't have a catolog already, call McGuinn. Lots of ideas and shows you the options and what they cost.

Weight will kill you and/or the people who haul your horse and trunk to shows.

So if you are buying an "on the road" trunk you will also use at home? That would be the McGuinn or I guess, the Phoenix West.

But of it's mostly for at home? Get wood if you want. But beware of size. trunks are like purses-you fill up what space you have so don't overbuy on size or empty weight.

I like the fact you can sell the McGuinns to somebody else in your barn and the buyer can just get a new panel for it with their name.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I have ordered trunks from both companies. Better, faster, and much more professional people (Liz) at McGuinn.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have both brands - a wood Oakcroft premier (plain wood with brass) and McGuinn (vinyl.) I would say the weights are fairly comparable, i.e. heavy!

But the McGuinn is definitely the nicer trunk in terms of fit & finish. Don't get me wrong, the Oakcrofts are nice trunks but the McGuinn is made like a piece of furniture - way nicer (and priced accordingly. sigh.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Default I like my Oakcroft

I can't compare to McGuinn's but I bought an Oakcroft large vinyl trunk with bandage lid for my daughter for Christmas last year. It has held up well, but obviously it is only 10 months old at this point. It's only been hauled to two away shows so far but our trainer really liked it because it's got more interior space (see comments below re: bandage lid) than a large Phoenix West trunk with bandage lid that got hauled to the same shows. So there was room to fit saddles in it and lock them in there overnight at the show.

I ordered it through netequestrian.com. When it arrived it was amazingly well packaged for shipping (which came direct from Oakcroft). However upon unwrapping it, I noticed that there appeared to be a visual flaw in the vinyl on the front panel of the lid. I called netequestrian and they were able to work with Oakcroft to get a brand new lid shipped out (they felt replacing that piece of vinyl on the lid would be too difficult to do with good results). So I am pleased with the customer service.

I will say to those that are considering bandage lids to really think about whether you need that extra space. It definitely makes the lid much heavier to open. The Oakcroft bandage lid is about 2 inches taller than the Phoenix West bandage lid. That extra height makes a noticeable different in weight of the lid itself. I can't speak to the sizing of the McGuinn's bandage lid but something to think about.

I believe my overall price tag for this large Oakcroft trunk with bandage lid was around $1300. The options I got included the bandage lid, vinyl on all sides, double piping of the border design and wheels. Hope that helps in comparing pricing to the McGuinn's. Again, not owning of having seen a McGuinn's personally, perhaps there are elements to the quality of the construction of the McGuinn's trunks that make them cost more than the Oakcroft. But I also think that the Oakcroft is well constructed and should last for many years.

Thanks everyone for the help!

McGuinn hands down. We had ONE oakcroft given to my trainer and it looks like POOP after the same amount of time our trunks have been on and off the road.

My barn purchases their trunks from McGuinn and when I tried to purchase an expensive custom piece for my trainers as a barn Christmas gift, I received the worst customer service from Liz. All of the trunks I have purchased have been from Phoenix West. Great quality and great service.