The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Since you're not writing in English, and commenting on "real" riots around the world has NOTHING to do with this topic, nothing of this makes any sense.

How about just never responding to me. Problem solved.
    ah, the irony.

You FIL served his country. Nasty or not, he did. He earned that money, whether you like it or not, he did.

5 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, Thanks for all of the sympathy. Just to be clear, my step-father was a navy pilot and on ships the whole time, and did things from afar. I'm sure he has some PTSD, but he never did anything hand to hand. He went into the military to get away from home and to avoid responsibilites of his first family and fool around on his first wife. He has been doing NOTHING for the past 50 years, getting a pension and full medical care paid for.

Whether he earned it or not is not my point. He's living "off the government" teat, getting "subsidies," yet acting like a crazy nut and voting every which way deny everyone else that. THIS is the guy afraid of riots. Not good company to be in.

If you're quite good with him EARNING doing nothing for more than half of his life while others pay, I really don't get how people proclaim government waste on things like healthcare, education, social services, etc.

Brought this "riot" thing up at the lunch table at work today. No one could believe it. Kind of amazing who will believe in what.

5 members found this post helpful.

M dad describes my grandfather, his father, as bad ass hell raiser when he left Walker County and a worse one when he got back from Korea. He was a terrible father and a terrible husband. But something in me and mine doesn't dismiss time served.

3 members found this post helpful.

katarine--Well, they may have some similarities, and in no way do I dismiss his time served. What I have a problem with is the hypocrisy of being OK that he has his, and being perfectly good and arrogant about trying to take it away from everyone else.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not sure about riots if Obama loses, but there's a Tea Party county judge in Texas who's gearing up for armed rebellion if he wins.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/us/tex...ing/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsoMatt View Post
    Not sure about riots if Obama loses, but there's a Tea Party county judge in Texas who's gearing up for armed rebellion if he wins.

And that guy is a judge?! And people are sticking up for him and offering him moral support? I don't even know what to say to that. Madness.

Yeah, Thanks for all of the sympathy. Just to be clear, my step-father was a navy pilot and on ships the whole time, and did things from afar.
    Being a Navy pilot was no promise of a long and cushy life.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Slightly off at a tangent but curious as to the answer, heard a news report on BBC today that said it was unprecedented there was no white Protestant candidate, which got me wondering if/why religion is such a huge issue and if ever an atheist could be president? The reason it caught my interest is that we have smaller election for officials running just now and I was researching where to place my vote but didn't give a thought to the religious beliefs of the candidates.
    thanks for any replies.....carry on!

katarine--Well, they may have some similarities, and in no way do I dismiss his time served. What I have a problem with is the hypocrisy of being OK that he has his, and being perfectly good and arrogant about trying to take it away from everyone else.
    He is getting a retirement pension correct? How is that sucking off the gov't teat? He worked for it. He earned it. You work as a teacher, correct? If you retire, won't you be doing the same thing that you accuse him of?

My dad put 20 yrs in the Navy and 8 yrs for it/civil service. He went in at 17, and fully retired from service at 45. He got a pension and disability due to a service related incident. He could have stayed home and never worked again and still drawn a pension-why is that wrong? Because he started early, he got to "finish" early? I don't understand why you have a problem with a pension.

As for the concept of everyone getting their own....it is called personal responsibility. I am responsible for me and mine. You are responsible for you and yours. Yes, we should help one another, but when it is forced because someone just doesn't want to work, or can't get a job because of bad choices (drugs/jail etc), that is not helping-that is enabling, and THAT is what most folks have problems with. I am all for helping someone, and giving a hand UP. I don't believe in a HAND OUT.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

The way I understand it, he believes that there will be riots if O loses, and he is preparing to defend against them. Face it, PC or not, some folks will riot if their sports teams WIN, so why should we expect otherwise from them if their candidate loses?
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Back to the original question, I don't know about riots if Obama loses, but I expect Fox News will implode if he wins.
    I'm a moderate, leaning Republican, and I approve this message.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnalli View Post
    The way I understand it, he believes that there will be riots if O loses, and he is preparing to defend against them. Face it, PC or not, some folks will riot if their sports teams WIN, so why should we expect otherwise from them if their candidate loses?
    From the article:

Obama, Head said, will "try to give the sovereignty of the United States away to the United Nations. What do you think the public's going to do when that happens? We are talking civil unrest, civil disobedience, possibly, possibly civil war. ... I'm not talking just talking riots here and there. I'm talking Lexington, Concord, take up arms, get rid of the dictator. OK, what do you think he is going to do when that happens? He is going to call in the U.N. troops, personnel carriers, tanks and whatever."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Oooooo, a baseless accusations post! Fun. Ok, let's see--I read on Twitter that one of the posters on this thread has a latex fetish and one likes to dress up like a giant baby. Let's start some random speculating as to which is which, whip everyone up into a frenzy, and then have the news report it, which will of course make it true. Wheeeeeeeeeee!
    Awesome answer

I have absolutely no concern and I think if there was concerns to be had, we should discuss the possible reactions of both candidates' partisans, not just one side...
    The one thing I remember from 2008 are the horrible comments from KKK leaders after the election. No riots that I remember of, but words can be pretty violent.

I'm actually more afraid by my virulent Romney-supporter neighbor and her "send Obama back to Kenya" sticker. It says so much about her IQ, that I wouldn't be surprised if she goes around the neighborhood flattening a few tires tonight... This is the only reason why I'll be keeping my car in the garage.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Oooooo, a baseless accusations post! Fun. Ok, let's see--I read on Twitter that one of the posters on this thread has a latex fetish and one likes to dress up like a giant baby. Let's start some random speculating as to which is which, whip everyone up into a frenzy, and then have the news report it, which will of course make it true. Wheeeeeeeeeee!
    Nah. Everyone knows that equestrians are into leather.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

The key words are Tea Party, county judge, Texas. All that doesn't add up to the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

4 members found this post helpful.

Mods ...

Request for next forum upgrade: In addition to the thumbs up/down thing, can we have a designation for "Stupidest thread topic ever?"

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dodedo View Post
    Had to go back and re read what I wrote that started all of this....amazed that my crazy question asking if anyone has heard these crazy rumors seems to have caused a riot of its own.
    If this chatter on a message board is your definition of a riot, then yes, there will be "riots" on election night. And every other day of the year.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well , gee the Donald Trump is proposing "revolution".... too funny, we need to revolt and allow the rich to rule, shall that be "let them eat crostini "...

6 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.