The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    751

    Default

    [QUOTE=Frizzle;6649650]Darkmoonlady, I am absolutely there with you. There is SO much misinformation and people just swallow it whole and pass it along without spending the 90 seconds on Google to see if it was true or not...

    I am in no way a fan of MR ( I actually can't stand the man) but it does go both ways. The school where I teach just held a mock election, with voting during PE classes, results to be released on Wed. Keep in mind it's a junior high, but the reasons kids in one of my language arts classes said they didn't vote for Romney was because he's "gonna send all us Mexicans back to Mexico, build a big wall, and you know, put all those (pointing) Black guys in slavery again." Since these are all seventh graders, this is what they're hearing from their parents.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,173

    Default

    I was watching the news this morning and there was no talk at all anywhere about any riots by any side, anywhere.

    I wonder if this is just a baseless rumor?



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    11,125

    Default

    It's just some crap that certain outlets are running with because some Obama supporters (the kind who apparently look like the 47% Romney is always complaining about) posted on Twitter that there would be riots and some of those people said they were going to be leading them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    my question is, where are you going to run to? Canada? Mexico? GB Virgin Islands?



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2003
    Location
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    Force public financing of elections. The amt of money that has been spent by both sides is obscene and immoral.
    AMEN!!!! Whoever wins this election, I hope voters of every stripe will deluge every branch of government with demands to that effect. This $ = free speech BS has GOT TO GO!!!!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Well, the people going on about the riots and hammering me about it last night are back on. Let's see if they show themselves and explain.

    Like I said, there ARE people that think that way, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote. My crazy, abusive, nasty step-father who has been living off the government teat for 40 years because he was in the navy for 30 wants his gun so he can prepare for the "riots" because the people from Oakland are going to come over the bridge and get him. They have dark skin there.

    It reminds me of when I travelled to Honduras during the "overthrow of the government" and all of the rioting. Best time to travel. Peaceful and quiet. You had to go to the one square block in the middle of the capital to even find anyone "rioting."
    Sorry, your ~90 year old SF is getting the pension he earned in the Navy. If your figures are accurate he joined the Navy in 1942 and served through WWII, the Korean War and Vietnam. 2012-40=1972-30=1942. IMHO he earned every penny
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2004
    Location
    Carolinas
    Posts
    4,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Sorry, your ~90 year old SF is getting the pension he earned in the Navy. If your figures are accurate he joined the Navy in 1942 and served through WWII, the Korean War and Vietnam. 2012-40=1972-30=1942. IMHO he earned every penny
    Thank for catching that.

    keep in mind BTDT
    The Korean Vets were largely ignored when they returned home. The conflict ended with a resolution, instead of a confirmed victory ala WWII. It was the first time the US did not "win" a war.
    The Korean Vets were some of or the very first to recognize how badly the Vietnam Vets were treated.
    The Korean Vets reached out to the Vietnam Vets, they did Not turn their backs on their comrades in arms
    Going to war scars all, some more than others. Just a guess here but he probably suffers from PTSD.
    PTSD is its own little hell. And for the record the VA does not always diagnose this immediately. One person was undiagnosed for close to 20 years after serving and earning medals in Vietnam. Fortunately the VA has improved, somewhat, with the current vets.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Thank for catching that.

    keep in mind BTDT
    The Korean Vets were largely ignored when they returned home. The conflict ended with a resolution, instead of a confirmed victory ala WWII. It was the first time the US did not "win" a war.
    The Korean Vets were some of or the very first to recognize how badly the Vietnam Vets were treated.
    The Korean Vets reached out to the Vietnam Vets, they did Not turn their backs on their comrades in arms
    Going to war scars all, some more than others. Just a guess here but he probably suffers from PTSD.
    PTSD is its own little hell. And for the record the VA does not always diagnose this immediately. One person was undiagnosed for close to 20 years after serving and earning medals in Vietnam. Fortunately the VA has improved, somewhat, with the current vets.
    My guess also
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2005
    Location
    Black & white cow country
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Well, considering I live in a state where rioting is routine in metropolitan areas when the local sports teams win championships, let's just say I wouldn't be surprised and will be staying away from said metropolitan areas on election day.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2010
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    1,542

    Default

    Actually, we did have public funding for campaigning and limits on how much an individual could contribute and corporations were banned from contributing but the Supreme Court shot that down in Citizens United. Huge mistake, imho. The enormous amounts of money contributed to both sides by special interests groups and the super pacs plus the social media have made this campaign one of the nastiess, most divisive campaigns ever.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2003
    Location
    Nonsuch House
    Posts
    3,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Thank for catching that.

    keep in mind BTDT
    The Korean Vets were largely ignored when they returned home. The conflict ended with a resolution, instead of a confirmed victory ala WWII. It was the first time the US did not "win" a war.
    The Korean Vets were some of or the very first to recognize how badly the Vietnam Vets were treated.
    The Korean Vets reached out to the Vietnam Vets, they did Not turn their backs on their comrades in arms
    Going to war scars all, some more than others. Just a guess here but he probably suffers from PTSD.
    PTSD is its own little hell. And for the record the VA does not always diagnose this immediately. One person was undiagnosed for close to 20 years after serving and earning medals in Vietnam. Fortunately the VA has improved, somewhat, with the current vets.
    Yes, thanks from me as as well. My husband spent close to 10 years working with PTSD and mentally ill veterans in a VA hospital. Being a disabled vet himself and a Marine for 16 years, you can't imagine what life can be like when you're being shot at, no sleep for weeks and unbearable living conditions. Walk in someone else's shoes for a while. . . or better yet go volunteer at a VA hospital and try watching the movie "Article 99".
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

    "To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Actually, we did have public funding for campaigning and limits on how much an individual could contribute and corporations were banned from contributing but the Supreme Court shot that down in Citizens United. Huge mistake, imho. The enormous amounts of money contributed to both sides by special interests groups and the super pacs plus the social media have made this campaign one of the nastiess, most divisive campaigns ever.
    I just got a robocall from Pat Boone(I had no idea he was still alive) as a senior citizen for Romney. UGGGH
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2005
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Yeah, my Dad was in hand to hand combat in wwII. No one EVER touched him to wake him up. They hollered at him from the next room. At one point someone shook him by the shoulder to wake him up and he had him on the ground with his hands around his throat in about 2 seconds flat. He dreamed about it every night of his life. Also suffered from insomnia and probably smoked a pack of cigarets through the night as he would dream and wake up dream and wake up.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2008
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    yep, took my father a while to get used to my mother being in the same bed after they got married, for the same reason.


    as for riots, well, if Mitt wins, i plan to stamp my feet and swear a lot for a few mins. but otherwise no, haven't heard anything.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,730

    Default

    Exactly, Frizzle. Typical fear-mongering. Let's equate "Obama" with "riots."

    Them uppity folk might done git to riotin' iffen they don't git their way.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    I guess we are "sucking off the government teat" too. My hubby just retired in September after 23 years of service in the Marine Corps. He has earned every penny of retirement he gets in blood and sweat. And so have we. The sacrifices he has made are tremendous, and we are VERY lucky he is alive as a lot of our friends did not come back from combat deployments.

    BTDT, I'm sorry you dislike your stepfather. It sounds like you have bigger issues with the man than the fact that he is a military retiree. But until you give your best years and decades of your life to self-sacrificial service of our nation, I think you need to stop using him as an example of somebody who is "bad" for "sucking off the government teat."
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

    Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2002
    Location
    Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W
    Posts
    5,782

    Default

    Back to the original question, I don't know about riots if Obama loses, but I expect Fox News will implode if he wins.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Back to the original question, I don't know about riots if Obama loses, but I expect Fox News will implode if he wins.

    ABC newspeople will be so giddy they will be dancing in the studio.
    They are over the top anxious and passionate about this election.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Exactly, Frizzle. Typical fear-mongering. Let's equate "Obama" with "riots."

    Them uppity folk might done git to riotin' iffen they don't git their way.
    So the riots after the rodney king police officer's trial didn't happen..


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    [QUOTE=Antaeus;6650750]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Darkmoonlady, I am absolutely there with you. There is SO much misinformation and people just swallow it whole and pass it along without spending the 90 seconds on Google to see if it was true or not...

    I am in no way a fan of MR ( I actually can't stand the man) but it does go both ways. The school where I teach just held a mock election, with voting during PE classes, results to be released on Wed. Keep in mind it's a junior high, but the reasons kids in one of my language arts classes said they didn't vote for Romney was because he's "gonna send all us Mexicans back to Mexico, build a big wall, and you know, put all those (pointing) Black guys in slavery again." Since these are all seventh graders, this is what they're hearing from their parents.
    Antaeus, I never said anything about the misinformation being one-sided. I simply gave am example of some information someone tried to force down my throat.

    As I said, I *always* do my OWN research. I watch all of the debates, I print up a sample ballot weeks in advance and research all the candidates on the ballot as well as all of the proposed amendments. In fact, I just finished filling out my sample ballot "cheat sheet" a few hours ago because I had to look up all the judges.

    I find it interesting that some people disliked my previous post where I said I do my own research, think for myself, and think the ridiculous email chain letters are an insult to my intelligence. Seriously? I guess since I mentioned Obama? For the record, if I ever received an email chain letter about Romney (which I haven't), I would absolutely research the information presented and not just swallow it whole and pass it on without a second thought. My parents taught me to think for myself make sure my opinions are based on actual facts.


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Obama 2008 versus Obama 2012
    By Daydream Believer in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Sep. 6, 2012, 09:53 AM
  2. Poll; Does Obama deserve re-election?
    By riderboy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 347
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2011, 09:02 PM
  3. Riots in England
    By Bopper in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug. 14, 2011, 01:10 PM
  4. What? No election thread?
    By springer in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov. 3, 2010, 08:00 PM
  5. Thank goodness, Election Day is near!
    By Alagirl in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct. 31, 2010, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness