The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Election Day...riots if Obama loses??? REALLY??

Anyone think there is a risk of this actually happening? Wow, I never would think of such a thing! Friend told me I was whacko to travel out of state just in case some utter craziness happens I should be close to home.....geez. Anyone else even half afraid of this?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not even remotely worried.

9 members found this post helpful.

No
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

4 members found this post helpful.

If I lived in an area that was typically one LE excessive use of force incident away from a riot then I would be worried. So, I'm not concerned.

Some people are just way out there with fear.

One of my neighbors refused to drive anywhere near our airport after Bush sent troops to Iraq because she believed that in retaliation they would most likely send missiles this way.
    Last edited by luvmytbs; Nov. 4, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

4 members found this post helpful.

During the early voting news reporting last go round, ABC Diane Sawyer I think is her name and one other anchor then were talking about the word being out Obama was losing in, I think, PA and that some town had people ready to riot if he did lose nationally, they had someone interviewing them.

No telling what people may do, those that are so wild about their politics as to become a bit unhinged.

One thing about dictatorships, if you don't follow government orders and behave, you get summarily shot.
    That tends to be a good deterrent.

Here, we are free, within already legislated norms, even free to do stupid things.
    Some take that to extremes those freedoms were not intended to go.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not concerned. This being brought up on another thread was the first I'd ever heard of it. I Googled a bit and found that the fear is based off of some Twitter comments posted by a relatively small number of near illiterate mental midgets...stupid bragging and trash talk of the type that is all too common on Twitter. Some drama heavy/short on facts, websites, like Infowars, picked it up and made a big deal out of it. The Twitter accounts in question seem to have been shut down.

11 members found this post helpful.

That type of concern strikes me as a bit on the "people of color can't control themselves" side.

16 members found this post helpful.

LOL, what a stupid idea.

I don't see any election outcome as leading to riots. If there were extensively documented and non-partisan reports of massive election fraud that changed the outcome of the election, I can imagine people of either old party demonstrating, though not rioting.

There was some speculation and worry that in 2004 the Bush-II administration might confect some "terrorism-related" excuse to delay the November elections -- although seen as highly remote, it was a serious concern upon the part of some very calm and well-educated folks -- but short of the government interfering with the election itself, it's just not remotely plausible. Nobody has been concerned about that kind of scenario since 2004 that I know of.

There are circumstances where I can imagine there could be civil unrest in future apart from the elections, but that would occur only if the government engaged in some outrageous abuse widely seen as intolerable even across party lines, and attempted to implement it with force. I can't guess what that would be. And I can't guess which of the two factions represented in Washington would be willing to do that. I also think that if they did, there would be the risk to the government that its orders wouldn't be consistently obeyed, because this is America and the people wearing the uniforms are Americans first.

Civil unrest is not all that much of a stretch looking back to the Viet Nam era when the country was highly polarized in the way it is now, but over the war and the draft -- and there were demonstrations, riots and even periodic bombings over a stretch of years.

But this coming week, no.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't think it's gonna happen anywhere but the ones who are pontificating about taking such actions are...well let's just say they aren't tied to the majority of Obama voters and are more along the lines of the OccupyWallStreet crowd. If Romney does somehow manage to win, the only thing I'm going to do is trust the government even less because I believe that he will push through some serious right wing legislation to secure his voter base with feel good measures just as Bush did in his first term after 9/11.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I don't think it's gonna happen anywhere but the ones who are pontificating about taking such actions are...well let's just say they aren't tied to the majority of Obama voters and are more along the lines of the OccupyWallStreet crowd. If Romney does somehow manage to win, the only thing I'm going to do is trust the government even less because I believe that he will push through some serious right wing legislation to secure his voter base with feel good measures just as Bush did in his first term after 9/11.
    Just as Obama did with Obamacare?

That is what presidents do, they do what they want to do, pass what they want to pass, as much as they can, so those that support them keep supporting them.
    That is the way the game is played, how they are elected, all of them.

10 members found this post helpful.

I almost wish people had enough concern about the country that they would demonstrate. I don't see it happening, except maybe in some big cities where people riot if they win the world series.

The first I heard of an US administration attempting postpone or cancel an election was this year. I found that to be a rather outrageous comment and believe the same about the 2004 comment.

However I do have a certain distrust of all governments, our's included. Power has a corrupting influence, so we should keep a watchful eye on

IMO we are in the process of completing the 1960's. We never resolved the many arguments of that era.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I can see some places, like wherever Obama-phone-woman is from. A certain subset of Obama voters think he's like Santa Claus (I truly hope, though, the one caller to Michael Savage who wound up on YouTube was just trolling him, and doesn't genuinely believe that Obama gives people money out of his "stash"-and FTR she sounded like a flaky white southern girl so it's not a racial thing-because that was so many levels of fail it's impossible to know where to start) and that often overlaps with the subset of the population prone to riots and to demonstrations that turn violent (Occupy, the freaks who chase summit meetings and riot wherever they happen to be, etc., the people who are looking for an excuse to cause trouble.)

I'd say Detroit, but I'm not sure anyone there has the energy or resources left to riot about anything. Much as I hate throwing good money after bad, it really is time for the state to step in and take over. The best idea anyone there's had recently for revitalization is 'sell off a 125-acre neighborhood, demolish what's standing, and plant a tree farm.'

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    I almost wish people had enough concern about the country that they would demonstrate. I don't see it happening, except maybe in some big cities where people riot if they win the world series.
    Good point. I think there should be a full citizen/taxpayer revolt no matter which candidate wins. Force congress to do their job, not for the rich or poor , not for the religious right or liberal left, but for the whole country.
    Force public financing of elections. The amt of money that has been spent by both sides is obscene and immoral.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Oh, I can see some places, like wherever Obama-phone-woman is from.
    Ah, the Obama phone. Fact check says http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/

But then, don't let facts get in the way of a good story, right?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    Good point. I think there should be a full citizen/taxpayer revolt no matter which candidate wins. Force congress to do their job, not for the rich or poor , not for the religious right or liberal left, but for the whole country.
    Force public financing of elections. The amt of money that has been spent by both sides is obscene and immoral.
    I agree, except that you too fall for the divisiveness without merit, as in that "religious" attached to the right, just because there are religious extremists there.
    That doesn't mean that many that don't want extreme social programs put in without seeing a way to pay for them, that are stuck on the right, are religious.

That remark would be like saying all "atheists" liberals on the left, when we know many there are religious people.

I think it would be more like riots in the streets if Obama wins again!

3 members found this post helpful.

Oooooo, a baseless accusations post! Fun. Ok, let's see--I read on Twitter that one of the posters on this thread has a latex fetish and one likes to dress up like a giant baby. Let's start some random speculating as to which is which, whip everyone up into a frenzy, and then have the news report it, which will of course make it true. Wheeeeeeeeeee!

10 members found this post helpful.