The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Waterproofing turnout rugs

I just opened up all my blankets that I brought to be cleaned/waterproofed after last season, and realized one of them didn't get re-waterproofed. The blanket cleaner is a 2 hour drive away, so I want to attempt to do it myself instead of making that trek again. Does anyone have any suggestions for topical waterproofing that will last on a turnout rug? There are so many different ones out there, I'm interested in hearing which work best. Thanks in advance!

I wash and waterproof all of my blankets myself using penguin brand of waterproofing solution and spray. With this, you have to wash the blanket in the penguine sport wash, dry, and then apply the penguin water proof spray heavy let dry some, and then when its still damp you put it in the dryer to help bond the spray.

I paid someone to wash my blankets one year and my Classic Coverups HIB Gore-Tex blankets came back RUINED. So after that, I learned how to do it myself and have saved a TON of money and have not had a ruined blanket since.

http://www.penguinbrands.com/html/pr...rel_waterguard

http://www.penguinbrands.com/html/pr...arel_sportwash

I use the NikWax, they offer a specific horse rug product, but I've also used this version.

Note that these products often require heat to set & activate, so make sure you're able to dry on a low setting.

I've used the Spray On on coats - it's fantastic & doesn't require heat activation.

You do need to ensure that the jacket/rug is completely free of detergent or your $$ Nikwax product will not "stick" & no waterproofing happens

(call back the shop & ask what they use in the blanket wash)

wow, i give you credit for wanting to waterproof it..... i learned the hard (read expensive) way that most blanket cleaners ruin waterproofing and then put some rinky dink stuff back on.

nowadays i just hand wash (using cold water and a brush - no soap) ) my blankets and hang them on the fence to dry.... they so far have lasted years this way - no extra water proofing needed....

so sorry for you bad experience. - and good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

I do the same pretty much - Dr Bronner's or other very mild soap, a dandy brush, and a hose. Takes 10 mins and saves me $40/blanket. And they stay waterproof.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

These threads always make me think of my question (so far I haven't had an answer): does rewaterproofing every year extend the life of the blanket's waterproofing or not?

People say they rewaterproof and their blankets have been waterproof for X years. My question is, would the blanket have stayed waterproof for X years anyway, without the extra waterproofing??

I've stopped doing the rewaterproofing myself as some blankets failed even with diligent care; so far the blankets have been doing just fine and continue to be waterproof going on two years without retreatment.

What decides how well a blanket stays waterproof is what was used to make it waterproof in the first place. Most blankets have this rubberized coating on the underside of the exterior fabric. Dirt/sun (horse rolling and rubbing), will damage it and then it begins to dry and crumble. No amount of re-proofing will repair that. NikWax will not make something waterproof that is not. Some type of spray may help. As for re-proofing helping maintain the waterproof, yes I do think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    I do the same pretty much - Dr Bronner's or other very mild soap, a dandy brush, and a hose. Takes 10 mins and saves me $40/blanket. And they stay waterproof.
    exactly what i do... sans dr. broners.

oh and i also learned to buy the best blanket i can - so Horseware for me all the way (altho i buy the Amigo's and splurged on a couple Rambo's for the mare) these blankets last...... i used to buy a new blanket a year - now? rarely!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    wow, i give you credit for wanting to waterproof it..... i learned the hard (read expensive) way that most blanket cleaners ruin waterproofing and then put some rinky dink stuff back on.

nowadays i just hand wash (using cold water and a brush - no soap) ) my blankets and hang them on the fence to dry.... they so far have lasted years this way - no extra water proofing needed....

so sorry for you bad experience. - and good luck!
    Can't imagine where you find these Blanket Cleaners, the ones I've taken rugs into, use appropriate cleaning & water-proofing products actually designed/marketed for horse rugs

How waterproof a turnout is, depends on whether it needs to stand up to 12 - 23 hours of steady rain, followed by several more days of the same & a horse that actually stands out in the rain or is pastured without shelter ... under these conditions, even Bucas/Rambo need to be waterproofed regularly - even when only carefully handwashed etc.
    Recommended care/maintenance of waterproof fabrics includes keeping the fabric clean & using non-detergent/low residue cleaning products & either drying with or without heat depending on the waterproofing materials used in the fabric - this applies equally to human & horse wear

I just bought schneiders cleaner and reproofer to redo my two blankets (both originally waterproof and both over two years old) I also bought the repair kit/waterproof tape since it looked like something I could apply at the barn (ie no ironing or heat required). Because that way when my horse rips his blanket at 10 pm in the middle of a seasonal deluge, I don't have to take it home, dry it, patch it, haul it back to the barn, put in on the now soaking wet horse.

I'll let you know how the reproofing works, hoping to take my blankets to the laundry mat today. I went with the schneiders version instead of the nikiwax because I had heard some negative reviews on the nikiwax (directly comparing the two products) and I already had to place an order from sstack (hello free shipping!).

I am not impressed that the schneiders product requires me to drag a totally soaked turnout rug from the washer, spread it out across multiple dryers, spray it liberally with the reproofing product, and then stuff it in the dryer. The nikiwax says you just throw it in the washer with the blanket.

Oh well, having dry ponies is worth being the most hated woman in the laundrymat I suppose, lol.
    A student in all things.

I wash and re-proof my many rambos and weetherbeata every year (even a couple times a year if I am really with it and motivated), and have for over 10 yrs. Even the 10+ yr old rambos still repell water after I wash them.

I am a NikWax follower. Why? Because Rambo recommends it. Maybe that is stupid but that is why, and I have the numbers over the years to prove it. Up to 7 horses, wearing multiple blankets, 24-7 from about Oct or Nov thru about March or April in mud/trees/briars, etc in group turn outs

No heat setting required. Since OP's has already been washed, just run it thru the rinse cycle to get it wet again, then run another rinse cylce with the re-proofing, then hang outside to dry. Easy, Breezy. You can do it by hand with a bucket and sponge instead.

I understand about the inside rubber coating eventualy failing overtime. That is why I re-proof mine everytime I wash them. Just to be careful.

Oh, always, always, always, always use a front loader. Never, never, never use a top loader. Even on a gentle or hand wash. The agitator thingy will damage the blanket.

So, while not a pro, I do A LOT of blankets each year, and have for many many years.