The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Permanent sterilization options (Essure vs. tubal vs. other)

I know there have been threads on this in previous OT days, but of course they appear to be gone now...

I am 39 years old, married, never ever ever ever want kids. Ever. Have been on hormonal BC for over half my life, but hate taking hormones and think it's probably a big part if why I feel like crap all the time. I'm seriously considering a permanent sterilization procedure. Had a doctor try to talk me into Essure a few years ago and I am wary of it for a number of reasons...feel like I would be more comfortable (maybe not literally, LOL) with a tubal ligation. Doctor suggested that my husband have a vasectomy, which he is willing to do, but I am paranoid enough and have heard enough stories of failed vasectomies that I would probably still want the tubal

I know there are plenty of posters here with experience in this. What did you have, and why did you choose it? What was the recovery time like? I am a veterinarian, fortunately in small animal (so much less physically demanding than large) and can't take a lot of time off to recover.

Thanks for your input. I found a new OB-GYN practice nearby that I'm planning to check out, but in the meantime I can always count on COTH as a wealth of information. I just want to get off these damn pills

After having twins at 35 and a miscarriage after that, I decided at age 40 to get a tubal. It was not a big deal - you have general anesthesia, which was a problem for me, but otherwise I don't remember anything being difficult about the recovery. I had 3 year olds at home at the time and I took it easy for a few days but that was about it.

Tubals do fail from time to time - just like vasectomies. But the rate for both is very low and comparable:

Method Used by TheoreticalFailure Rate* Actual
    Failure Rate† Advantages Disadvantages
    Vasectomy Man 0.02%-0.1% 0.02%-0.2% Very high effectiveness; no cumbersome methods to use before or during intercourse Should be considered permanent; some risk of infection
    Tubal ligation (tying off tubes) Woman 0.2% 0.2%-0.4% Comparable in effectiveness to vasectomy More expensive and complicated than vasectomy with higher surgical risk

If your partner is willing to get a vasectomy, I would go that route. As the chart above suggests, they can have it done under a local anesthetic with fewer complications.

Good luck!

I chose tubal ligation. I knew from when I was 18 years old that I didn't want kids, and had to wait out my gyn for years before she's do the procedure. It was out-patient. The worst was after it was done - the cramps were unbearable. I slept it off, and was good to go the next day. I chose tubal because it's permanent, do it once and you're done, and there are no hormones to take or mess up my body. I HATE BC pills!

After my 2nd child I had a tubal though I wanted a hyster. my insurance wouldnt do it though all the dr said I should.
    To make sure that there was no way I would get not preg. they cut, tied and coterized which at the time was pretty radical.
    It took me 18yrs almost 19 to finally get approval from the same insurnce co to get a hyster.
    If you can talk your insurance co into it get a hyster. get rid of the monthly,and the stuff that goes along with it.
    Friend of bar .ka

I had the essure procedure, it was simple. Did the follow up study to make sure all was where it was supposed to be and my tubes were blocked. Fast forward several years, i was having some trouble with bleeding each month, i go in. Ablation would have been the first choice, but couldnt be done with the essure in. So, i opt for a hysterectomy, thank god i did. one of my essure springs had migrated into my uterus. I would have died if I had become pregnant. I would get a tubal before i did the essure ( my dh would not go in!) love the hysterectomy though!!!!
    Horseshowmomma

Have you considered the Mirena? Its been around for 15 years, on average, I probably put in one a day and my patients love them, I have very few women with complaints.

The mirena does have progesterone but the systemic levels are trace ompared to oral contraceptive pills. Failure with Mirena is as good as tubal ligation. Putting it in takes about as long as a pap smear and you can go right back to work.

So really, the only risk is that you may not like it.

I got a tubal about a year and a half ago. Recovery time was pretty minimal. Actually, the worst part was that I had some kind of weird reaction to the band-aid adhesive and my skin sloughed off in those spots.

Like you, my DH was also willing to have a vasectomy. But where I was absolutely determined not to have more children (we have one), he was totally okay with only having one child. And although the likelihood of such a thing happening is small, if I died tomorrow in a terrible accident and he remarried, I would want him to be able to have more children if that's what he and his new wife wanted.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Personally, I'd go with your partner getting a vasectomy. It's outpatient generally.

I have a friend who had the uterine ablation done. (She was not just going for sterilization but also to eliminate some menstrual issues.) It took a little while for everything to work out (she had some bleeding initially and I think they needed a second procedure) but she's now VERY happy she went that route!

1 members found this post helpful.

Good questions- Both have pros and cons but the easiest, safest method is vasectomy. They are outpatient, take less than 40 mins and are done with local, and some Valium. Some people do no-scalpel versions (less pain & no sutures), others add sutures which hurt. Men ice, watch football for 48h and then do "specimen collections" three times to check sperm count before all contraception can be discontinued (gen about 10-12wk).
    Tubals fail. ANY female who has had a tubal gets a pregnancy test preop or in the ED if shes there for abdominal pain. Plus tubals are done in the OR, have a signifan recovery period. Essure fails too- I'm in fam med and a friend is in obgyn at UVA & has seen lawsuits because of Essure failures.
    Other option is an IUD but if you've never had a vaginal delivery, your cervix may have to be dilated to place it.
    Obv all decisions are personal and yours. If it were me, knowing what I do and doing what I do, I'd pick a no-scalpel vasectomy.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I had one tube removed entirely along with an ovary, and the recovery was about 2 weeks. I was back to work in a week but wouldn't have been able to do more than an office job at that point, and probably should have taken another week to rest honestly.

Interesting- I was just in for my annual and my doctor talked to me about options. She said if DH wanted a Vasectomy that is by far the easiest and safest. I just have to jump from 99.5% to 100% sure I'm done Maybe for DH's 40th I'll buy him one.

There can be complications with vasectomies. I've heard about a 5% complication rate from our doctor.

I have Mirena IUD. Love it. Just got my second one inserted. I have not had children, and the insertion is not fun, but it's bearable. And, I'm one of the lucky 25% that doesn't have a period with Mirena.

I would NOT get a hyster. I have seen TOO many women go bat$h!t crazy after their bodies start to go through premature menopause, even when they got to keep their ovaries. And if you dont want to be pumped full of hormones there is a chance of having to take hormones to balance you again after a hyster.

Have your partner get a snippy snip and keep your plumping.

Besides getting a hyster is going to have a longer recovery time, several weeks to up to 3 months as your abs heal.

Anyone had the snipping done right after childbirth? My doc offered to tie my tubes after I deliver in April and I think I will take him up on it, but wondered if anyone has done it then. Everyone I know had it done separately.

I'm having a tubal and a NovaSure done very soon (biopsy next week then we schedule procedures). I went back and forth as to get an Essure (or Adiana before it was pulled from the market) but they can't do an ablation and Essure at the sometime where as they can with the tubal.

Edited to add that I also think its only fair that dear hubby get snipped as I delivered two very large babies (epidural didn't work for #2 and at 8lb 10oz-OUCH!!!) and was pretty miserable during both pregnancies. He owes me!!
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Ford...I am due in May and have already told my Dr I want a tubal when I have my scheduled c-section.

I had the mirena and HATED it...had it removed a few months after I got it. I gained about 10lbs, had awful joint pain, and was a raving monster.

This will be my 2nd child and we dont want any more, so Ive opted for the tubal since the Dr will "be in there anyway".
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I had a tubal ligation at 25 years old. I had lost one child and had another healthy one so chose to not have any more. It was a simple outpatient surgery and the only issues I had was the shoulder pain from the air that they fill you up with. I am still on the pill because I hate having periods so I take it continuously for 3 months at a time. My first choice would have been a hysterectomy but I was a healthy 25 year old so they wouldn't consider it but I am happy that I had a tubal ligation!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Related anecdotal story.

My cousin's wife had a tubal and an ablation after their first child. Their second child was born this spring. She was almost 6 months pregnant before she figured out why she had been feeling odd. I guess if its meant to be, its meant to be
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Related anecdotal story.

My cousin's wife had a tubal and an ablation after their first child. Their second child was born this spring. She was almost 6 months pregnant before she figured out why she had been feeling odd. I guess if its meant to be, its meant to be
    And that is why I would be asking them to remove my tubes, not just tie them! One oops baby is enough for me. Wanted and loved, but would have liked to plan her a bit more. Like maybe when I had a different job with a boss who isn't an uncaring asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Related anecdotal story.

That would be the worst nightmare in the history of the world....UGH!!!

I had a bilateral tubal last December. Was done on a Friday and I was back to work on Monday. The only negative thing is I don't have that regularity of my period that I did with BC (which I was on for over 20 years). But other than that I never once regretted my decision (procedure was done at age 38-no kids).