The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I love my husband but OH MY GOD, he needs to stop "cleaning"!

Ok. So he had a bad day, came home, had a few beers, watched his team lose on TV, and, while I was STILL AT WORK, started "cleaning." And I use the term "cleaning" in the full blog of unnecessary quotation marks sense.

For instance, he decided to clean my bathroom (I have a downstairs bathroom w/shower off our laundry room that is mine-all my girly stuff is there, and that's where I undress when I'm particularly...aromatic when I come home after work etc.) our kitchen, and the fridge. Anyway-he decided to randomly throw things away, mop the floor, do ??? something else, and here's hoping there was profit in it.

Some of the things he threw away (I'm sure there are more, we also use that bathroom for storage since it's so large, these are just the things I found while looking for the iPod)

--aforementioned iPod
    --box of Super absorbent Tampax (apparently, I only have "lite" days now. I WISH! lol)
    --his cat's insulin (um, hello YOU ARE AN MD. Granted, I give the insulin most of the time and I'm sorely tempted to believe there is some truth to the old adage about surgeons:'Strong as a bull and twice as smart' but really, who throws away the insulin and not the can't remember how long it's been in the fridge Chinese takeout?)
    --case of Cherry Pepsi
    --my loofah
    --my Dove for Men citrus bodywash (only thing that helps cut the three day old rotten afterbirth smell that occasionally accompanies me home)
    --my NEW Spy Optics sunglasses with the yellow lenses I use instead of safety glasses when I'm working
    --a pair of black Wrangler show jeans (but not the holey schooling breeches they were underneath in the hamper)

Does anyone else have a somewhat sporadic less than helpful helper?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

4 members found this post helpful.

YES!!! LOL

I have finally drawn the line and said that he is not allowed to throw away anything that is mine. He can put it in a pile, a box, a bag--I don't care. But DO NOT THROW AWAY.

When he got on a feng shui kick a couple of months ago, he decided to clean our home office. He shredded important papers and went so far as to pull all of the duplicate things out of my checkbook. Dude, I have duplicates for a REASON. It's so I can keep track of stuff!!!

That said, he is really good about doing laundry and vacuuming. He is WAY more on top of it than me.

It's just the spur of the moment and somewhat compulsive "organization" projects that drive me batty.

ETA: can you recover any of these items from the garbage? Especially the ipod, glasses and jeans?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Yeah. Got one, too. He thinks he's really clean, but he's not. He goes on "cleaning frenzies" where he mops the floor, vaccuums, and straightens the stuff on the table.

When I clean, seriously, I do it from stem to stern. I had to completely take everything out of every cabinet in the kitchen, wash it, throw it out, and clean to get rid of moths! It's a good job. I do this regularly throughout the house.

I gave him the ONE job of doing the small bathroom, because all he will do is take the bath tub drain strainer outside and wash out my hair, that I've usually pulled most of my hair out of. (He never washes it when it has toilet paper remnants in it from him using the shower after major toiletries.) He won't even sweep the floor or get the dust bunnies behind the toilet. So he starts noticing the mold on the shower curtain and the ceiling from his forever showers and how "it" needs to be cleaned. Yep. That's why I gave YOU the job. When I clean the bathroom, I scrub every wall and floor surface, wash and bleach the curtain, and get EVERY surface.

Well, at least he does the litter box regularly now.

1 members found this post helpful.

AACCK! Were you able to retrieve any of that? Most especially the Spy Optics? I have that same pair, they rock! Very few eyewear made for small/narrow faces.

Are we related because I use that body wash too. Or try the Irish Spring Cool something...body wash. Cuts a lot of yuck but I've never tested it on afterbirth. Not much of that around here...but it works on summertime 3 day old dead animals.

My husband is the opposite of yours...he gets mad when I throw out his useful stuff. Like the basketball we had 10 years, nobody ever touched it once, it couldn't hold air anymore and if you dropped it it went Splat and not Bounce. Mr Blue claims it was still useful and he might play basketball some day.

Same with a "state of the art" racing mountain bike. 15 years, 3 moves of our time together. Packing and moving that thing into garages where it got in the way. Nobody touched that either. And it was state of the art...in 1978 when he bought it!!!! Admitted he rode it once, it wasn;t comfy and he's clumsy. It was over 30 years old when I gave it away. Almost had to revive him...I "threw away" a "very expensive" bike that he planned on riding on our wooded property. Someday.

Now we have some sort of mammoth ridiculous stationary bike that uploads GPS and tilts to simulate pedalling in the actual Tour De France.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    ETA: can you recover any of these items from the garbage? Especially the ipod, glasses and jeans?
    I found everything but the iPod and the iHome remote. I didn't even realize the rest of the stuff was gone until I was like "huh? Where's my iPod OH S***, he's been CLEANING...!!" and went outside to check the garbage, wherein I discovered the box of tampons (only used one of them) the Pepsi, etc. Unfortunately it was too dark to see where the intrepid "I've survived two mins in the washing machine" iPod and her sister the "I just got adopted by the Grataan family" iHome remote went. Luckily, our trash pickup isn't until Monday afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

Are we related because I use that body wash too. Or try the Irish Spring Cool something...body wash. Cuts a lot of yuck but I've never tested it on afterbirth. Not much of that around here...but it works on summertime 3 day old dead animals.
    Maybe we are long lost cousins lol! I'll have to try the Irish Spring. I'm not a traditional Irish Spring fan but I'm open to new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post

When I clean, seriously, I do it from stem to stern. I had to completely take everything out of every cabinet in the kitchen, wash it, throw it out, and clean to get rid of moths! It's a good job. I do this regularly throughout the house.
    Me too! I just hope I can find the iPod or the iHome remote because now I'll have to re-clean and I need my music lol.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful but seriously. It's not like I never clean, I just haven't touched that bathroom other than laundry in a while because I arranged 2 weekends of days off back to back so I could go spectate at US Nationals and then I've been at work all this week, and I usually clean on my Sundays. Le Sigh.

Good thing he's cute and good with animals.

Mine periodically gets these cleaning urges too. And then things get put in strange places. And then I look for hours trying to find the dang thing. Fortunately, he doesn't throw anything away. But, geez, put the knives in the same drawer they've always been in for the last 10 years. . . His thing is he never puts the same thing in the same place twice. I've learned to get creatively gifted at search and rescue.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

My DH doesn't do that. When he cleans, he moves things from one flat surface to another, or stacks it all in my office. Erm?? But that's when he cleans. He gets good for a while, slacks for a while, gets good for a while. You can imagine what falls in between the slacking and not slacking periods (read: me, pointing vigorously and/or threatening with the Swiffer).

The only time he thrown away gobs of useful items was when he moved in with me. He of COURSE picks the weekend I'm out of town to pack and move, and most of the house stuff made it...but barn stuff? He tossed a full bottle of Laser Sheen concentrate and other assorted barn things because he was "tired of packing." From the house, three very nice bath mats that would have been useful, I'm sure some towels didn't make it, some of my clothes??, and all sorts of other things. For the first couple of years I'd ask where such-n-such was, and be told "it didn't make the move." Now, three years later, he asks where such-n-such is or didn't we have a such-n-such? I just look at him with one eyebrow raised until it clicks, then move on.

I'm still scared to go in the attic...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Mine does the same thing. He's "all at one time" cleaner and I'm a "little now and little later" cleaner. He also thinks he's tidy, while I know I am not. I except there is a certain amount of clutter that just is. If the bar is cleaned off within half a day there is stuff back on it (when the kids were young it was more like 2 hours). But if you leave a small amount of clutter there it seems to ward off large clutter. Or at least that's what I believe! I just hate that he thinks he is neat and tidy where as I know I'm not but I'm not terribly messy either. His daughters thought it was funny until they got married. Now they know!

Curious, Grataan... did you ask him if he MEANT to throw out your iPod? Or was it just a frenzy of pitching things that took the iPod with it?

Have to admit this is a timely post. DH is in such a state of depression I can't even get him to fill his own dog's water bowl much less clean anything without a huge fight ensuing. I've seen my future and it looks like an episode of 'Hoarders' if I'm ever incapacitated and unable to throw stuff out myself.
    Last edited by Sansena; Nov. 4, 2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: posting before coffee

RMy dad threw away my mother's diamond earrings that were on HER dresser. He would "dust" by sweeping anything and everything that was not in a container (and sometimes even then) into the trash. He had to buy her new ones.
    My mother and grandmother kept our home near spotless so there was no reason for him to be cleaning. The only thing he was allowed to do after that was mop floors and vacuum.

P.S. sorry you didn't manage to find all your stuff.
    Last edited by GotGait; Nov. 4, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
    You are what you dare.

You can send one you husbands over to my house...
    My dh's idea of "clean house" is go into the room take a look sit down and do something else. Or if I am lucky go in to a room and move something from one stack and move or make a new stack.
    And he has taught the DS's how to clean house his way..you should have seen my house, kitchen when i got home after I got home I thought of going to paper plates... But the idea of takeing trash out every night is lost even though I ask every night.. think I speak a diffrent language...
    Friend of bar .ka

I could have written this post Grataan! I have come home to find my husband has cleaned and I panic. Absolutely panic. I KNOW it means he's thrown my stuff away. This is probably the only serious thing we argue about. It makes me nuts. I feel like I need to hold onto stuff I don't want to try and increase the chances he will throw that stuff away instead of the good stuff.

The only way Dh & clean are in the same sentance:

DH leaves the house while I clean.

With all kids working it takes like 30 min to clean, washing walls/heavy stuff done 1x year.

He does fold a mountain of laundry--sometimes throws in a load if its something he cant wash wrong like towels. Soemtimes hell unload DW. Hey it works for us.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Curious, Grataan... did you ask him if he MEANT to throw out your iPod? Or was it just a frenzy of pitching things that took the iPod with it?
    Well, I mentioned it casually like "Um, honey? Where is my iPod? it was in the tray that I put my sunglasses/keys/mini wallet I carry running/change etc in?" and he was like "Oh...that's what that tray was for? (WTF honey, WTF. We've been married for how long and dated for how long and you JUST NOW NOTICED we have his and hers "change trays"??!11!? you use yours for the same thing I use mine for!) I thought it was trash so I took it out." So then I just HAD to ask why he felt the need to throw away my tampons when he KNOWS my period is coming-and he goes "Oh, well, I read the box and you're not supposed to use those super absorbent ones, you should just use lite ones and change more often" ( Hand to God, I am NOT making this up) I just burst out laughing-I couldn't even explain to him why it was so funny. Helloooo, what am I going to do "excuse me, I need to scrub out from this surgery so I can go put in a new junior absorbency tampon" every two minutes?

Have to admit this is a timely post. DH is in such a state of depression I can't even get him to fill his own dog's water bowl much less clean anything without a huge fight ensuing. I've seen my future and it looks like an episode of 'Hoarders' if I'm ever incapacitated and unable to throw stuff out myself.
    awww I'm sorry, I hope your husband will be able to find recovery.

Mine is very helpful especially with laundry. But, he loves bleach. I think dry cleaning everything might be cheaper than replacing stuff when he gets all bleachy. Ughh. Love the passion. Hate the now tie died salmon comforter cover that was a really pretty blue before. The brown and orange towels and bath robe are also not my favorite.

2 members found this post helpful.

If that's the worst of your problems with this guy, keep him.

I'm ROFLOL. My DH is military, and I KNOW he can clean, fold, wash, do dishes, file papers......... He cannot do those things at home. He stacks EVERYTHING in piles in my office. I just pulled out a shirt to wear tonight for a small dinner party, and he had hung up my dirty shirt in the closet!!! He piled ALL MY CLOTHES on the washer one day, "I couldn't tell which ones were dirty". *headdesk* I'm sure glad he's good with horses and a very nice guy otherwise he'd be in the doghouse
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Please stop these posts. I can't take it anymore. I'm either going to end up spitting my drink out on my keyboard or peeing in my pants from laughing so hard.
    Last edited by SnicklefritzG; Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Lol! Not that it's particularly a good thing to laugh about... but seriously, who just throws away an ipod, pepsi, sunglasses, jeans, etc??!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

OMG, incredibly frustrating!

My DH isn't too bad about that. It's incredibly rare that he cleans at all, and when he does he doesn't usually throw stuff out. He just stuffs all my stuff in awkward places underneath or behind his stuff so I have to go dig it all out again. Though occasionally he'll decide that some article of clothing I still find usable is too disgusting to wear, and he'll chuck it.

Same with my mother, though thankfully I don't live with her. Once when she was watching my son for me, she decided to be helpful and "clean" my truck. Which consisted of removing things like my tire guage and jumper cables. And then once she took my tow rope and put it in her basement because she "has more room to store things like that." WTF?

At least neither of them actually put things in the garbage very often, so I don't have to purchase anything. But if I get stranded somewhere because someone put my jumper cables or tire iron in a box in the garage, I'm going to be pissed.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland