The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would be a candidate, but really don't have many places I could wear the stuff they recommend. I think the feed store guy would think I was lost if I showed up in cashmere or silk and heels

I would also venture a guess that there are a lot of us who would be like some of the guests and faint at what they spend on a sweater, shoes or slacks, but drop that without a second thought for breeches or show/hunt coat or boots Same with accessories, but spend serious $$ on tack and equine accessories.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh My God am I ever! I am only ever seen in my T shirts, jeans,sweatshirts and barn boots. I work from home and my work involves animals , so really what is the point of putting on clean jeans everyday? .

I loathe shopping and when I lived up in NH, my friends who love to shop, would buy stuff and bring it home for me to try on. If I didn't like it or it didn't fit, they would just return it for me. God , now I loved having my own personal shoppers!

If my DH wants to go out to dinner, I always ask him if I REALLY do need to get gussied up a bit. Then I do put on clean clothes and wear my Dansko clogs. Yup, fashion doesn't get any better than that! No dresses here.

A shishi friend of mine took pity on me and took me to a " fancy" salon to get my hair cut and colored. Well, I have to say it does look a bit better but for the money I could have bought a ton of hay and got my hair cut at Super Cuts. Same with my DH.he bought me a beautiful diamond bracelet for Christmas and the first words out if my mouth were " can we trade this in for a new stove?" See? I really do need the help!

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

On a daily basis, yes I am a candidate. I love jeans and cute v-neck t-shirts, long sleeved in the cooler months. I have appropriate outifts for every other thing I may ever go to, but I live in the jeans and tees.

I don't like how they never encourage women to buy stylish pieces that are timeless. A pair of nice fitting khakis, a pair of well made dress slacks, a tailored white blouse and a black sheath dress can take you almost anywhere in life.

I suck at accessorizing. I dislike buying cheap fashion jewelry. I have a couple great chunky turquoise necklaces, pearls and pearl studs, black and white and diamond studs
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

At last, there are other people who don't own a skirt or a dress, yippee. I'm not a good candidate for the show, because I never go anywhere, and when I do well: When we first moved out here we were invited along to the Ag Dinner, the premier social event on the local calendar, when I asked about dress code, and was told, "Probably best is you wear clean jeans" I knew I was in the right place.
    Mother of the son of UsedtobeHaffy

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

There is nothing wrong with shopping at Goodwill. Some very expensive and classic clothes are donated to Goodwill. You can really score in a larger city if you go to the Goodwill that's close to the rich areas.

I wouldn't ever go on those shows, because trendy or being humiliated on national tv aren't my idea of fun. Most of the people on there aren't just unfashionable, but wear things more appropriate to a teenager and many sizes too small, and end up looking sleazy. There was a worse show, How Do I Look, I think on Style or one of those. They had a stylist, and a friend or relative on there and they picked wardrobes for the person, and they had to pick one wardrobe that included 3 outfits, and hair restyling. I actually saw a woman who did dress way too young and borderline sleazy be told by her adult daughter that she was ashamed to be seen in public with her. That was when I stopped watching, because after the makeover the lady didn't look any better, and hated her new hair (she went from fried platinum, to dark brunette that looked worse to me) and clothes. She said she only did it so her daughter wouldn't be ashamed of her, and the makeover subject hated the results. It was one of the cruelest things I've ever seen on tv, and I stopped watching then.

I wonder how many people tell the shows where to get there, and give them specific directions to hell. The fact that they follow you around without your knowledge for a couple of weeks, seems actionable as stalking, and I woundn't be amused by my personal information being released to strangers like that either.

The important thing is to dress for what you do, and not to accumulate a bunch of clothes you'll never wear. I never wore the skirts or dressed I had, so I donated them. And if you have business clothes you never wear, then keep one nice suit, and donate the rest to a charity that dresses women from shelters, or retraining programs for business situations, so they can interview and get a basic wardrobe. There's no point to wasting a bunch of money, and storage space for clothes you'll never wear.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

If I didn't wear a uniform to work I'd be lost. And my "uniform" is laborer's garb. Company logo t-shirt, Wednesday's it's company ad t-shirt (free to me) Fridays it's union local t-shirt (also free to me). Four pair of elastic waist shorts, black, blue, green and grey. Uniform socks. You can track the days of the week by the shirts.

Honestly if I go outside around here I get coated in rabbit fur or hay or mud or grass clippings in about five minutes, and I don't really go anywhere much that needs nice clothes plus I'm too fat and old for the nice sexy ones that are in the back of the closet. I've only seen the program once or twice but without the kind of job or social life that needs the clothes, what's the point? (and don't get me started about my coworkers with the nice nails - they fuss about doing my job because it ruins their nails. Sorry ladies, we rotate and you know it.)
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'd certainly qualify for the complete and utter lack of style. But I'd never agere to their terms. Since I have Fibromyalgia, I'm super picky about the texture of my clothes, and I'm sure as hell not throwing out the stuff that's comfy to make way for things that would probably contribute to my pain.

And I also wear scrubs a lot, especially around the barn.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Oh, I LOVE skirts and dresses, and would wear them all the time...but I suspect what *I* think is a suitable dress or skirt does not equate with what THEY think is suitable. (Dear Stacy and Clinton: Pencil skirts are not universally flattering. Ever. Do not make me get the clue bat.)

Yeah, I think that's the point - timeless clothes that last for more than one season. They often SAY that's what they're selecting, but it's not. I have a burgundy t-shirt that's well made (it's an LL Bean pima cotton long sleeve) that I've had for years, that I can wear with jeans or khaki's, and it looks GOOD. I can dress it up or down, and it's got a nice finish, and is versatile. The color is perfect, the neckline is good (looks great with a long necklace) and it's just...me.

I have a wrap dress that's similar. THAT'S my style and I know it.

Smile Aaahhh!

Soul Sisters, all of us!
    I totally agree about the fact they put people in things that are not timeless. Some stuff looks great but others, Ick.
    I know they are always stressing pops of color but gads, there are times when I want to stick my finger down my throat.
    I think it is unreasonable to think people cannot wear nice casual on a daily basis. At least I don't dress like the Wall Mart people that seem to circulate in the emails. Now I need the barf emoticon.
    Notice they have never had a rider or an animal caregiver on there, Vet??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I try to dress classically and I think I have pretty good taste. Sometimes it works, sometimes I pass a full length mirror and go "OMG What was I thinking?!?" My husband would classify me as a fashionista.

But, I admit I am hopelessly attracted to those aplique seasonal sweat shirts with chicadees and falling leaves on them and I own at least two Christmas sweaters that I think are absolutely gorgeous but many people would wear to an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party.

And look what I found...http://www.dillards.com/product/Bere...90386_zi_black

I have not worn anything without legholes in it since my own wedding. Truly - that is the last time I wore a dress. I have one black "timeless" dress that I've had for years, but if I ever needed to wear it I'd have to borrow shoes from my mom.

Today I have on a pink turtleneck, black jeans, and pink suede Mephisto (this is where I will spend $$) sneakers. Nothing ratty or torn. I could have worn the same outfit 20 years ago and it would have looked fine, and I could probably wear it in 2032 and still not stand out like a sore thumb.

I'm one of those people who can dress up if I absolutely must, but when I do I feel as if I'm wearing someone else's skin.

Hell yes. I watch it with my gf and tell her there is NO WAY I would bring my hoodie collection with me if I was put on the show. I spent years finding hoodies that I love. I live in them.

I no longer work b/c I was medically pulled from work so a lot of days I don't even get out of PJ's. I just put on a hoodie. I have been known to take my daughter to day care that way, run to pharmacy, etc. Heck, I wore grey sweatpants to church on Sunday b/c my jeans were dirty and my stomach was bothering me anyway.

I'm not sure I want a wardrobe make over. I know HOW to dress better for the most part. I just choose NOT to.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

(lol) yes, indeed. I just scored big time because a friend of mine has a rich sister who has closets stuffed with clothes, many with the price tags still on, that she just gets rid of periodically, and my friend (is it mean to be happy?) gained weight and none of them fit so she brought them all to my house yesterday. Yippee! She brought them to me because she knows I'm a disaster in the clothing line.

Anybody else think the woman on that show doesn't dress well herself? I think she should be reviewed on her own program.

I don't watch the show all that much, but agree with most of the statements here-most guests on the show end up with the same basic hairstyle, and in clothes that will be out of style in a year. Waste of money.

I basically wear jeans, sweatshirts in vibrant colors, or 3/4 sleeve tops now that it's Fall. I wear Dockers slacks and a cotton sweater to church on Sundays. Hubby and I went to a wedding this past Saturday, so I "splurged" and bought a "new" dress and pumps.

The shoes I bought at-Payless (?), I think that was the store. $19.99...The dress, at Goodwill (marked down to $7.99), a simple A-line black dress with a design down the 3/4 sleeves and on the front that had turquoise and other colors in it, so I wore some nice simple pieces of Navajo jewelry that I own. Got many compliments. Googled the dress, and found out it costs $300.00+ new.

Go Goodwill and thrift shops!

Cool

One of my "secrets" is that I'll wear workout clothes to run errands- love wearing my nikes in Costco. I always have some makeup on because I'm a permanent makeup artist and have been known to hand cards out when I'm in the mood! I just ordered some clothes from Eddie Bauer because they make cargo pants with a wee bit of stretch(I'm a size 10) and I like a tailored look. Scrubs are wonderful for working on clients and I just end up wearing them thru dinner. Although I see some girls wearing riding clothes at publix, seriously- who can do that? After grooming , fly spraying, riding, cleaning horse and tack there is no way I would run to the grocery store. I have a couple of cocktail dresses that I rotate that I do enjoy wearing. I guess I do love looking at fashion , but comfort and function are the most important things that I look for.

Quote Originally Posted by arabracer View Post
    One of my "secrets" is that I'll wear workout clothes to run errands- love wearing my nikes in Costco. I always have some makeup on because I'm a permanent makeup artist and have been known to hand cards out when I'm in the mood! I just ordered some clothes from Eddie Bauer because they make cargo pants with a wee bit of stretch(I'm a size 10) and I like a tailored look. Scrubs are wonderful for working on clients and I just end up wearing them thru dinner. Although I see some girls wearing riding clothes at publix, seriously- who can do that? After grooming , fly spraying, riding, cleaning horse and tack there is no way I would run to the grocery store. I have a couple of cocktail dresses that I rotate that I do enjoy wearing. I guess I do love looking at fashion , but comfort and function are the most important things that I look for.
    I wish I could have a makeup artist come and work on me!
    I used to not need makeup, and hardly ever wore it, now I have hardly any eyelashes, and have no clue how to do eye makeup.
    Sucks getting old.
    On the other note, I have worn breeches to the grocery store, But not often.
    When I used to keep my horse at a friends house I would go by the store after cleaning stalls, We never notice it, but the Smell really clings to you when you have been standing in it mucking out.. Stacey and Clinton would faint dead away!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Back when I actually had TV and watched that show, I definitely would NOT have been a candidate! Loved to shop for clothes, took pleasure in dressing nicely for work (I worked in an office with a VERY relaxed dress code but I always wore dress slacks/shoes/nice clothes except on fridays) and generally enjoyed fashion.

But now I work from home and have a part-time barn job as well as my own pony to ride, so I bounce from bed to the barn, back home to work, back to the barn, and home for dinner before calling it a night. I basically live in sweats and breeches. I was once someone who would never DARE leave the house in sweatpants, but now I find myself running to the post office or pharmacy in sweats or running tights and Danskos and not caring. The budget is also WAY smaller, so I have absolutely no money for stuff like new clothes! Sometimes I am a bit envious of my SIL's who are total fashionistas and always look absolutely fabulous and trendy and are constantly adding new pieces to their wardrobes, but I manage to make my old stuff work.

But what I wouldn't give for $5000 worth of new clothes and a place to wear them to!!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Yeah, I am raising my hand, I do welding and some of my clothes have burn holes in them. I have no pride and will run into Meijers after work to return cans. I have people offer me money and put cans in my cart. I think they think I am homeless?
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I sure am! The thing is, I work from home, I have no social life, I go the the grocery store, the gym, and to ride. So what's the point?
    I know Stacey and Clinton say because it says the kind of person you are. Well, I am a jeans and breeches and shorts kind of person. I do not even own a skirt or a dress. Truth!
    And I hate to shop, I am like all those women on that show in a department store, Terrified, depressed and confused.
    I have no clue what looks good and what doesn't. Am I alone??
    No, you are not alone.
    I have considered signing myself up for it....but then I look at what these people wear and I am frightened!

Yes, I am a prime candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.