The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Over the moon, are you playing secret santa? ASK FOR IT!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh and farm king imitation peanut butter. I think it is long gone.. I will think of more.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Over the moon, are you playing secret santa? ASK FOR IT!
    Fantastic idea!! I think I just might!

[QUOTE=Simkie;6647841]This seems to be available on the internet:

I get really annoyed when looking for something in a real store and being sent "to the internet".
    Typically, if it's on the internet, the mailing cost exceeds the value of an item...case in point: an already overpriced $10 ink ribbon for a time clock that totals $23 with postage & "handling". Oh sorry, isn't packaging the item & writing a label part of your daily job? Oy.

And worse, when a catalogue penalizes you for not meeting their $100 minimum, charging you an extra service fee.

Besides, often you need to actually SEE the item-terrible when you're buying an item "blindly".

This one is even horse related Corn Huskers Lotion.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Oh, this is EASY. Shot or two of brandy with whatever cold medicine you like and you'll be set
    Oh, this sounds much better than my DH's cousin's idea, which is to consume a cup of hot bourbon with the cold medicine. I am such a teetotaler that I was afraid I'd never wake up using that method! Thanks!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    Vermont Country Store has a lot of things that are old-fashioned and/or hard to find.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store
    Yes, a great source for many seeming gone-forever items!
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Oh, this sounds much better than my DH's cousin's idea, which is to consume a cup of hot bourbon with the cold medicine. I am such a teetotaler that I was afraid I'd never wake up using that method! Thanks!
    My step-grandfather who wasn't a teetotaler but rarely had more than one drink or glass of wine at holiday meals -- didn't affect him, but alcoholism ran in his family -- was a convinced user of medicinal whiskey when he was coming down with a cold. He would consume three or four shots (not in combination with any other medication) just before going to bed. (I don't know if that was in hot water or straight or what.) Then he would pile on about three wool blankets. Apparently the alcohol and sweating under the blankets would frequently knock down the cold.

I really miss the original formula of Bigeloil containing capsaicin. They silently reformulated to remove that following the ridiculous substance-banning by FEI, etc. Not only did the aging and slightly arthritic horse I rode at the time like it, but in the winter, rubbing it on him before a ride would have the added benefit of making my hands warm enough that I didn't need to wear riding gloves in the winter. And it was also pretty fine to use on sore shoulders, arms, calves, etc.

Many years ago because tons of phosphates were being dumped into the water supply from millions of people doing laundry, trisodium phosphate (TSP) and other phosphate components were removed from most laundry detergent formulas. Not having it used by everyone reduced the then-serious problems with algae, I think.

TSP is still available because for certain purposes in heavy-duty cleaning nothing beats it, and because those uses are so minute in the scheme of things, there's no ecological problem from the waste water.

That said, it is a great additive for cleaning really soiled or grungy clothing. (There's a good reason the detergent manufacturers used it in the first place.) TSP can be purchased in many hardware stores in the cleaning supply area, and a little added along with laundry detergent to individual laundry loads that could benefit gives a nice result while doing no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    This one is even horse related Corn Huskers Lotion.
    What's that?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Corn Huskers Lotion was a liniment that I bought/used for the horses. It came in a clear bottle, the liquid was kinda cloudy white. . . have no idea what was in it, but it was the very best liniment ever. I used it for myself (often) as well, and would love to have some to help my arthritic hands. But it's been about 20 years (or more) since I last bought it.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    Corn Huskers Lotion was a liniment that I bought/used for the horses. It came in a clear bottle, the liquid was kinda cloudy white. . . have no idea what was in it, but it was the very best liniment ever. I used it for myself (often) as well, and would love to have some to help my arthritic hands. But it's been about 20 years (or more) since I last bought it.
    You got me curious and I googled. If it's this...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/corn-huskers-lotion-/ID=prod6057966-product?ext=gooPersonal_Care_PLA_Hand_ampersand_Bo dy_Lotions_prod6057966_pla&adtype={adtype}&Kpid=pr od6057966&sst=7ccd1d59-197a-bd69-1be2-0000621094b5

It's for sale lots of places online!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    I really miss the original formula of Bigeloil containing capsaicin. They silently reformulated to remove that following the ridiculous substance-banning by FEI, etc. Not only did the aging and slightly arthritic horse I rode at the time like it, but in the winter, rubbing it on him before a ride would have the added benefit of making my hands warm enough that I didn't need to wear riding gloves in the winter. And it was also pretty fine to use on sore shoulders, arms, calves, etc.
    I hear you. Wonder why they just don't do two versions? "Original" and "Non-Test"?

I miss just about every perfume I have fallen in love with, except for one... they have all been discontinued. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I miss those little triangular vent windows on the front doors of vehicles (and no, I don't smoke) but you could crack those open slightly and angle the airflow to the direction you wanted. Now, you have to run your car fan and fiddle with directing/aiming vents...

I miss Marshall Field's department store and Miller's catalog.

I miss a good solid meal served on a plane (even the short flights). Most people have never experienced taking a 4 hour flights and having a nice hot lunch or dinner served on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Well, there's the obvious ones like Sudafed. DH's sinus medicine of choice and I had to give up my firstborn practically to get some from the pharmacy in the grocery store.
    I could still get blueing at the Kroger not too long ago, I miss Boraxo and Borateem and twenty mule team borax. I know that somewhere they are out there but not like back in the day.
    20 Mule team borax is at Krogers, Ingles and Walmart. Love the stuff.
    Washing SODA (not baking soda, washing soda) is hard to find.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Nivea moisturizing spray. Smelled great, and super easy to apply on difficult to reach areas (ie your back).
    Saw some not long ago, maybe a month or so at a local drugstore (Co-op, I think). Tried Shopper's or Pharmasave? Sometimes it isn't so much availability with Nivea as them just not ordering
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I can get 20 Mule Team Borax at WalMart, Target, and Kroger. Washing Soda is harder to come by, but I can get that at Kroger.

I miss the old-style NyQuil that used to completely knock you out and you woke up feeling great.

I swear i had not seen your post when I posted mine, lol!!!Seems I am not the only one that makes her own clothes soap.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Washing soda, borax, blueing, and fels naptha bars are all on the shelf at Walmart.

Frog bra from Title 9. I have a few stashed, but they can't find the fabric anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Washing soda, borax, blueing, and fels naptha bars are all on the shelf at Walmart.
    Mine doesn't seem to stock the bluing. Though it does have the bar soap, which I also LOVE.
    ~Veronica