The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Useful items that have been discontinued or are hard to find- that you love

You know what I love? Laundry bluing. Does the job of getting whites white better than most anything else. You used to be able to buy it in the laundry aisle of any grocery store but for months and months I haven't found it anywhere. How sad is this... I am buying it from DOVER SADDLERY not to use on white markings but for my LAUNDRY!?

What products do you love that have gone away or have become tough to find?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Well, there's the obvious ones like Sudafed. DH's sinus medicine of choice and I had to give up my firstborn practically to get some from the pharmacy in the grocery store.
    I could still get blueing at the Kroger not too long ago, I miss Boraxo and Borateem and twenty mule team borax. I know that somewhere they are out there but not like back in the day.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    You know what I love? Laundry bluing. Does the job of getting whites white better than most anything else. You used to be able to buy it in the laundry aisle of any grocery store but for months and months I haven't found it anywhere. How sad is this... I am buying it from DOVER SADDLERY not to use on white markings but for my LAUNDRY!?

I get bluing from Winn Dixie. $3.99 a bottle and honestly I bought a case because I am afraid they will stop carrying it one day.

Brasso in liquid form. Now its a paste and doesnt work as well.

I hate when they discontinue makeup or rename it. Drives me nuts. I love MAC, but if I have to play the match game one more time, it wont be pretty (pun sorta intended)
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Ah yes, discontinuing or renaming. I had some certan underthings that I loved, loved the design, the fit, all about them, and then they were discontinued. I guess not stylish enough or not current enough, but darn it, they fit and looked nice too.

I guess you can tell I am not always a fan of new and improved!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Vermont Country Store has a lot of things that are old-fashioned and/or hard to find.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Does this work well on whites that have turned that horrible yellow-ish color???? If so I'm ordering some. My favourite white tank top is a nasty yellow-ish/gray shade.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Does this work well on whites that have turned that horrible yellow-ish color???? If so I'm ordering some. My favourite white tank top is a nasty yellow-ish/gray shade.
    It works best on getting plain white things to look day-glow white... but yes it can help yellowed stuff too!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

This is probably not what is intended as a discontinued item, but MARATHON BARS! They were the best candy bars, ever....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    This is probably not what is intended as a discontinued item, but MARATHON BARS! They were the best candy bars, ever....
    Oh man I LOVED those things!

I miss Revlon Outrageous shampoo. Smelled great and made hair have a lot of body.
    Also liked the shampoo knock offs of perfumes like Obsession, Georgio, etc.

Really miss my Mocha Fusion coffee.

2 members found this post helpful.

Amazon has your bluing--free shipping with prime. Got to be better than Dover.

Marathon Bar here (and maybe World Market? They always seem to have stuff like this): http://www.oldtimecandy.com/curly-wurly.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Well, there's the obvious ones like Sudafed. DH's sinus medicine of choice and I had to give up my firstborn practically to get some from the pharmacy in the grocery store.
    I could still get blueing at the Kroger not too long ago, I miss Boraxo and Borateem and twenty mule team borax. I know that somewhere they are out there but not like back in the day.
    H'm. Can't help you with the Sudafed, we all have to jump through those hoops, but are you only trying the grocery store for Twenty Mule Team Borax? It's right with the bleaches at my neighborhood Target. Might be worth a try.
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Nivea moisturizing spray. Smelled great, and super easy to apply on difficult to reach areas (ie your back).

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

It works best on getting plain white things to look day-glow white... but yes it can help yellowed stuff too!
    Hm, thanks, will have to give it a try....
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Nivea moisturizing spray. Smelled great, and super easy to apply on difficult to reach areas (ie your back).
    This seems to be available on the internet:

http://www.dermstore.com/product_She...Spray_1591.htm

http://www.medshopexpress.com/020783.html

I can get 20 Mule Team Borax at WalMart, Target, and Kroger. Washing Soda is harder to come by, but I can get that at Kroger.

I miss the old-style NyQuil that used to completely knock you out and you woke up feeling great.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    You are officially my new best friend!! I have looked all over for that stuff, online included! Now to see if they deliver to Canada.

ETA: The first site will cost $20 to ship the $6 item, and the second site doesn't appear to be taking orders as it's discontinued. Sigh. I really like it but I don't think I like it for $30.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I miss the old-style NyQuil that used to completely knock you out and you woke up feeling great.
    Oh, this is EASY. Shot or two of brandy with whatever cold medicine you like and you'll be set

7 members found this post helpful.

We do not ship to Israel, Ghana, North Korea, Philippines, Thailand, Nigeria, Vietnam, Hong Kong or Canada. We reserve the right to cancel any international order.
    Damnit. Why not Canada? We're like the easiest "foreign country" to ship to from the States.

Well I guess that removes temptation even if I wanted to splurge.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Oh, this is EASY. Shot or two of brandy with whatever cold medicine you like and you'll be set
    Tried that several times after they changed the NyQuil formulation. It's just not the same. The doxylamine in Nyquil, combined with the alcohol, is what really "did it."

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Tried that several times after they changed the NyQuil formulation. It's just not the same. The doxylamine in Nyquil, combined with the alcohol, is what really "did it."
    Hmmm. Perhaps this, then?

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signa.../dp/B002L4M4M0