The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keurig Machines

I am thinking I'm getting one for my birthday. I'm not a coffee drinker, but heard they're good for tea and cocoa. I also think it would be nice for the coffee drinkers who do come to my house so I could offer them some coffee. Do you guys who have them enjoy them?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I LOVE mine! LOVE it! I use it mostly for coffee but I make tea and cocoa with it too

I have the mini-Keurig as it is just me at home.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

We both tried it and were not impressed with the coffee or the cocoa quality. The machines are handy though.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Ohhh...I don't buy their brand coffee. The Costco K-cups (San Francisco dark) are fabulous and about $30 for 80 cups and I use *cough* Swiss Miss K-cup cocoa. And Green tea.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Love mine as I can only have one cup a day. I also love the Chai Latte
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

We just got the latest machine using the V Cups.....I love it! Just discovered Starbucks makes coffee in this format and am in heaven!!!!

I'm a one cup a day coffee drinker, also. I have had my Keurig machine for several years, and just love it. Just remember that, when you make cocoa in it, you have to run a cup of plain water through afterwards. Otherwise the machine can get clogged.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I somehow lost the filter cup for my Keurig this past week. NO idea how I managed that. Probably one of my common: I'll put this away so I don't lose it moves and may never find it again.

I bought a new plastic insert filter for it at Stop&Shop. Surprisingly more awesome than the Keurig one I lost. It's a plastic reuseable k-cup. Snap lid up, fill, snap closed and drop it in the cradle like a k-cup. The original one you had to remove the cup cradle and then pop in the grey filter holder and it wasn't simple to refill either. Like this one MUCH more.

I got the Keurig as a Christmas present a couple/few years ago from my youngest. Complete surprise, never mentioned or wanted one. I used it to humor her, but turns out I really like it. I'm a heavy coffee drinker, but it's also handy for fast hot water too. Only downside for me is when I have company or family over...by the time yoou make 10 cups of coffee, the folks with the first 3-4 cups are done with theirs, LOL! So the percolater comes out. I never bothered having my coffee maker installed here (I have a big restaurant one, it requires being installed and hooked to a water line...now THAT one rocks but it's kind of overkill, LOL) so use a regular pot or percolater...percs make great coffee.

But I enjoy the Keurig...now every cup is fresh brewed. The k-cups get expensive for someone like me who drinks 4-6 mugs per day. But I use the filter and then it's a few pennies per cup.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Love my Mini-Keurig machine. Got it for my bridal shower this past spring. I'm the only one in the house drinking coffee, so makes it much easier to just make 1 cup.

I did have some issues with it not brewing at one point, but customer service said you can't use cold water with the Mini model, only room temperature. Other than that, works great!

I get k-cups cheap, too, at our local Christmas Tree Shop.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I love ours. We got it as a wedding shower gift and it's perfect for us because I only drink one cup a day of flavored coffees and when my husband drinks it - he prefers dark roasts.

It recently stopped working and after trying every tip I'd seen on the internet, I took it back to BB&B and they replaced it with a brand new one for free.

My dad has a Keurig, and my barn just got one. From a fellow non-coffee drinker but cocoa lover: the Green Mountain and Cafe Escapes cocoa K-cups are *gross*. The Swiss Miss ones are acceptable. The Ghirardelli ones are quite good. Well, as good as you can get without adding milk to your cocoa. (Important disclaimer: I'm kind of a cocoa snob. I have Askinosie cocoa powder, made by the only American small-batch producer that makes cocoa right from the cocoa bean instead of distilling it from cocoa butter.)

At 75 cents a pop, I greatly prefer to just use the Keurig as a glorified hot water machine and brew my own cocoa from powder. It's easier than having to clean out a reusable K-cup. If you're into the reusable K-cup thing, a lot of my coffee-drinking friends like the Solofill and Ekobrew reusables; many of them were frustrated by the Keurig brand reusable K-cup.

Personally, I would not buy a Keurig just for tea and cocoa. I own a $25 Black and Decker coffee maker that gets trotted out for guests, and that is a heckuva lot cheaper to own than a Keurig. I suppose you could also keep some Starbucks Via packets handy--it's a little pricey but it's very, very good-quality instant coffee.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Love mine as I can only have one cup a day. I also love the Chai Latte
    How are they for Lattes and which specific machine do you have?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

We have one in our horse trailer (DH lives out of it when he's on the road for work) and it's AWESOME for that setup- doesn't take up much space, no/little mess and quick coffee/cider/tea/cocoa. There's also one at our boarding barn that sees quite a bit of use. I like them, they are great for only 1 or 2 servings but, as previous posters mentioned, not good for lots of people/social gatherings.

Love my keurig and have waxed lyrical on the subject on past ot days. I use it TONS during the colder nights for tea (never have bought the tea k cups, just use regular bags in the mug). Knock on wood ii haven't had any issues with it yet.

The best part of the keurig is that in the mornings it requires a fantastic lack of mental and physical cooperation on the user's part. A button, a lever, pop a cup in, and press another button. And no cleanup! It's almost fool proof for a half-asleep person like me. I say almost foolproof, because you DO still have to remember to put a mug underneath it..... oops! Yes, I'm terrible with mornings ;-)

Gotta add.... I would LOVE one in my barn! It's much too casual for a coffee maker, and there's a café two miles away, so I'll deal without ;-)

I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I love it because I drink a lot of real coffee and DH drinks decaf and it does away with fighting over what pot to make . I hate it because they are NOT reliable. I've been through three Keurig branded machines (all crapped out around when the warranty expired) and my current Cuisinart branded machine. The Cuisinart is still working, after two years, but it is PICKY. If I don't unplug it, not just turn it off, unplug it each night, it won't work for 48 hours. And, it needs a ridiculous song/dance/voodoo routine to get working again if it's left plugged in. Unfortunately, this is the only one I've found that continues to work long term.

They make OK coffee IF you buy "extra bold" strength cups and brew them on 8-10 ounces, not 12. Too weak otherwise. I can't really speak to tea and cocoa, as I don't drink those. My 10 year old loves the cocoa, but he's not picky at all about taste, I think he's more into the instant gratification thing.

Strangely enough, for once I was ahead of a trend and bought my Keurig about three years ago. I LOVE it and wouldn't be without it. It's a full-scale model, $89 at Target (shows how long ago I purchased it), because everyone I know loves coffee and it has a large water tank.

Handiest appliance I ever bought!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

We got ours probably about 3 years ago as a gift, never had any problem with it (and I think I've de-scaled it twice?? lol) .... LOVE it as we can make our own coffee; I like dark, he likes coconut...and the glorified hot water machine deal, yep, we do that for cocoa, too. And tea.

I'm thinking of trying one of those new reusable cup thingies. We have the one from Keurig, the grey one with the filter basket, but they get their latch pieces eaten up by coffee grounds. We're on our 4 th one and they're $18 now! Started at $13....grrrr...

Is the red one such that you fill it and pop it in the brown holder used for the disposable k-cups?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I would love to use the reusable K-Cup, but I can't seem to make the coffee taste as good as the stuff in the disposable K-Cups. Is there some trick to it? Is the newer reusable K-Cup better than the "official" K-Cup? Is it the grind of the coffee? I've tried coarse grind and very fine, and neither seemed to work well.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could give me some tips, as there're some really good hometown coffee importers/roasters here that I'd love to brew in my Keurig!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I would love to get one for DH, but he drinks coffee by the pot. Is it worth it for a heavy coffee drinker?
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com