The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Where do you get your coffee?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starbucks

36 29.51%
  • Dunkin Donuts

39 31.97%
  • Other

47 38.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Second Cup's Chai Tea latte.

I hate their logo though "a little love in every cup" is a little creepy to me.

Ok, not coffee, but from a coffee place.

Also the Chai Tea at the Greenhouse near where DH works. Tea at a greenhouse...and the dog can join me. The best get away ever!

I also kind of like McDonalds coffee though.

The flavoured creamers are the best though! I like the Mint Truffle, and the Cinnabon flavours best!

Starbucks, McDonald's, Tim Horton's...however, I will go without (and I am serious coffee addict who will practically lick the filter if there are no alternatives) rather than drink whatever the hell chemical-tasting drain cleaner Dunkin Donuts serves. Honestly, the only other time I've run into the peculiar foul taste it has is in a K-cup blend from Green Mountain Roasters called "Wicked Winter". Also, you have to be insanely careful ordering--"regular" seems to involve a half cup of half and half and at least a quarter cup of sugar. (I use a small amount of creamer of some kind and never any sugar unless it's iced coffee, which I prefer to procure from Starbucks or ABP.)

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks so.
    I like Seattle's Best better. Have a little local
    coffee stand - Steph's Machias Espresso.
    The only Starbuck's one I like is the Pumpkin Latte - generally I think they're too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Don't like Starbucks at all, I think it tastes burnt. I call it Charbucks.

I like DD coffee but my favorite is from a little coffee place in Elkton MD that sits off of rte. 40 called Fox Hollow Coffee.

What I make at home (the secret is in the stove top vacuum method) is the best, but if I'm out and am anywhere near Fox Hollow that's where I'm going.

I voted for DD, but then remembered that I also like Green Mountain served at the local Mobil gas station, and their machine-made chai (vanilla, pumpkin, etc.). Starbucks is too strong for me.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I have a fancy coffee maker at home. Grinds & brews. Easy to adjust the strength.

But the beans...there is a local coffee roaster and it is amazing. I choose how dark I want it roasted and every wednesday there is a pound of coffee hanging on my front door.

If I buy a cup of coffee when not home, rare, I prefer Starbucks over Dunkin.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    I have a fancy coffee maker at home. Grinds & brews. Easy to adjust the strength.

But the beans...there is a local coffee roaster and it is amazing. I choose how dark I want it roasted and every wednesday there is a pound of coffee hanging on my front door.

If I buy a cup of coffee when not home, rare, I prefer Starbucks over Dunkin.
    Yeah, I used to love having Lexington Coffee Roasters when I was in college. I'd get the Chesapeake or Keydet blends and grind them myself or give them as gifts (and they made a mocha in-store that was incredible! I consider, btw, anything other than brewed coffee a food, especially since it has as many calories, so cocoa, lattes, mochas, etc. are not coffees, they're desserts.)

That is one thing--I think a serious coffee drinker will go for Starbucks, Seattle's Best, or McDonald's even (they've gotten good), while Dunkin has so much crap in theirs it's more for people who don't REALLY like coffee.

I will do Starbucks or Peets' if in a pinch or an emergency. They are fine when I'm on the road. I rarely buy coffees anymore though. I am economizing at the moment and drink Trader Joe's french roast at home, but will do peets or, preferably, a local coffee. Since Stumptown was bought by someone from brooklyn, I've lost my loyalty to coffee companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    FYI there was a law passed recently that makes it LEGAL to brew coffee at home.... No need to expend greenhouse gasses driving to a DD or SB every day..... I hear the grocery stores are even thinking of selling flavored creamers to go with coffee now that it is legal to brew it in your own kitchen.... And you can get a single serve French Press at Marshalls or for about, or less than, $10 or Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Presses...F8&node=289749 will deliver one to your door. Instructions for operating the french press can be found here....http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YCcT24eny99-wQ
    Who said anything about driving to one every day?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Who said anything about driving to one every day?
    No kidding. I don't get much in the way of coffee out any more because that's something I did when I was working in Boston or DC and walking (or when I lived in walking distance of a Starbucks, or in college when I could walk to town and didn't even have a car for three years.) It's never been something I'd make a special car trip for-if I'm out anyway, sure.

And it's always in ADDITION to coffee made at home. Like I said, I may have a small addiction problem. (I can stop coffee whenever I want. I just don't want to.)

Dunkin Donuts all the way ... Starbucks is way too strong for me. If I am stuck and have to go to a Starbucks, I have them fill it up 3/4 and add water.

I don't think we even have DD out here? I don't drink coffee but I do love Starbucks hot chocolate. Costco gets big cans of it every winter and I always stock up, it's so yummy. When I do get something from Starbucks itself it's usually when I am at the grocery store since they have little coffee kiosks everywhere, or when I am at Barnes and Noble. I really like the Hot Apple Cider with caramel.

I've never had either one. <shrug>

I'm usually pretty happy with whatever little privately owned coffee hut I can find locally.

I hopelessly addicted to Starbucks. It's the sad reality I live. There's one on campus and I got to admit, that's one of the reasons I'm here...just kidding, kind of. XD

I have to ask specifically for BLACK iced coffee or else they put sugar in it. I love their frappuccinos in the summer, mochas in the winter.

McDonalds vanilla iced coffees are awesome as well. I was very excited when they offered a no sugar option.

I love Starbucks hot chocolate. It's my treat if I'm having a tough day at work.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I am a DD drinker, when I drink it, and it has to be on the way to where ever I am going.

I am from the NE so WaWa is aweseome in my book.

Tim Horton's or a local place. There's only 1 Starbucks in my city, and the lines are usually long. (OK...3 if you count the kiosks in Safeway).

FYI there was a law passed recently that makes it LEGAL to brew coffee at home.... No need to expend greenhouse gasses driving to a DD or SB every day..... I hear the grocery stores are even thinking of selling flavored creamers to go with coffee now that it is legal to brew it in your own kitchen.... And you can get a single serve French Press at Marshalls or for about, or less than, $10 or Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Presses...F8&node=289749 will deliver one to your door. Instructions for operating the french press can be found here....http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YCcT24eny99-wQ
    I got 4 'Thumbs Down' for this?! No sense of humor folks!!

I got 4 'Thumbs Down' for this?! No sense of humor folks!!
    Frankly, the smartass tone and mention of greenhouses gases and driving in bold made it sound really self-righteous. If you were kidding, a smiley would've helped to clarify that.

Bygones!

3 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE Starbucks, but I also try to support local coffee shops. There are two around here that are GREAT so I try to go there a lot.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    There are two around here that are GREAT so I try to go there a lot.
    There's one within easy walking distance of me that I WANT to love--I'd like to support a locally owned business and the walk there is so pleasant through the historic downtown neighborhood where I live.

But I don't like their "house" coffee. It just tastes weak and watery to me. When I go there, I should probably just pay an extra buck or two for an espresso or something I guess.