The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Have the JC papers but they're not signed

I brought home an OTTB mare on Monday. I'm really excited about her as a sport horse prospect. This is my first OTTB that came with any sort of history. My previous TBs were all of unknown history, and being geldings, we never worried about who they might be.

The seller sent this mare's registration papers with her but the transfer section is not signed. Is this going to present any sort of problem for me in the future if I were to resell her or if someone wanted to do anything TB related (breeding, etc) with her? My plans for her are strictly sport horse oriented, planning on presenting her at warmblood studbook approvals next year, etc, but I don't know if I'm even asking the right questions....

For instance with every other registered horse that I've ever bought or sold, the registry wanted the papers submitted for a transfer of ownership. Does the JC record owners, or is that strictly only of interest while the horse is breeding or showing up at the race track?

Super excited about my new girl, but a little befuddled by the actual registry.

Here she is in her old life

Getting a start in her new life
    The rebel in the grey shirt

The only thing you can't do is race her as the papers would need to be signed for that. You are good to go.

Thanks! Her value is definitely as a sport horse.

You can also do a simple online transfer of ownership through the Jockey Club. You'll have to sign up and create an account, then once you're logged in the registry, look for the link Transfer of Ownership. Here's the page you will be looking for:

https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/...TOKEN=57074285

It's very easy to do and completely free.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    The only thing you can't do is race her as the papers would need to be signed for that. You are good to go.
    This is not necessarily true. The transfer section on the back of the registration certificate states the following; Transfers of ownership MAY BE recorded below. It does not state required, only “May Be”, nor does the signature need to be witnessed or notarized. I have found this section is mainly used by the racing secretary when a horse has been claimed and the papers and ownership is transferred by the racing office. If a horse has been sold at auction the auction company will transfer and sign. I have sold horses without signing this section because the papers were sent directly from the racing office and or trainer to the new owner. I have also bought horses without this section being signed over to me and have never had any problems racing them. The most important document to have when buying or selling a horse is a well written Sale and Purchase Agreement and a Bill of Sale

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    You can also do a simple online transfer of ownership through the Jockey Club. You'll have to sign up and create an account, then once you're logged in the registry, look for the link Transfer of Ownership. Here's the page you will be looking for:

https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/...TOKEN=57074285

It's very easy to do and completely free.
    Thanks so much! This was so simple.

The seller never said that I could not race her, and indicated that if she did not sell, she would race her again next year. That said, she wasn't a very successful race horse and I got her for a sport horse and although I've only had her in the barn a week, I'm more and more impressed with her every day.

What is her breeding?

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    This is not necessarily true. The transfer section on the back of the registration certificate states the following; Transfers of ownership MAY BE recorded below. It does not state required, only “May Be”, nor does the signature need to be witnessed or notarized. I have found this section is mainly used by the racing secretary when a horse has been claimed and the papers and ownership is transferred by the racing office. If a horse has been sold at auction the auction company will transfer and sign. I have sold horses without signing this section because the papers were sent directly from the racing office and or trainer to the new owner. I have also bought horses without this section being signed over to me and have never had any problems racing them. The most important document to have when buying or selling a horse is a well written Sale and Purchase Agreement and a Bill of Sale
    Which was my point. If she wanted to race the horse, someone would have to sign that. Could be the racing secretary or someone in the HPBA but the change would have to be noted on the papers. Most places require a bill of sale to transfer ownership in the program and some places even have their owner transfer forms that need to be notarized for the transfer to take place unless the horse was claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by flightcrash View Post
    What is her breeding?
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&referenc e_number=8065850&registry=T&horse_name=Money%20Hol der&dam_name=Ogygian's%20Dasire&foaling_year=2007& nicking_stats_indicator=Y

It wasn't exactly sport horse pedigree that would have particularly made me jump up and down - there are things I really like, but there are also elements that I could just as soon leave. That said, when I saw her, I knew I had to bring her home with me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151131744673182 Video lunging - she had never lunged before but she picked it up the very first day.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...33414938_n.jpg
    At the track in July

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...83115387_n.jpg
    Arrival day at home. - She's a tall girl.

If you transfer ownership on line...NO ONE will care what is on the papers. If it makes you feel better...sign the previous owner's name and the date you bought her and go on with it. JC does not do transfers like all the other breed associations. Enjoy your new horse!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

2 members found this post helpful.

The JC really isn't overly concerned about everyone signing the papers. They're more touchy about altering the win record on the last page. As mentioned it's easy to do on line, too (I'm Lucky's registered owner, not that I'd race him as I have no desire to spend money to watch him get his butt kicked at Mount Pleasant Meadows-he's much too good at being retired. Besides, even I could afford to claim a horse there if I just wanted to race something.)

JWB, she sure looks the part! Congratulations and good luck with her. I love to see an OTTB go on to what sounds like an excellent home.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    It wasn't exactly sport horse pedigree that would have particularly made me jump up and down - there are things I really like, but there are also elements that I could just as soon leave. That said, when I saw her, I knew I had to bring her home with me.
    Seriously? Caro tail male makes ME jump up and down (it's a shame her sire is dead) and the Damascus is also lovely. You've also got a BOATLOAD of Teddy and Blue Larkspur there, which is very nice. It's a bit more Raise a Native and Mr P than one would really look for, but there are really plenty of positive elements there...

Loved the Caro, and yes, it was the Mr. P and Raise a Native that I was a bit 'meh about. Didn't know about the other stuff to love so thanks for the insight! (this was my first OTTB) Going on the horse in front of me, I was smitten! She has a full sister racing up north somewhere and I just hope she ends up in a good sport horse program before the racing breaks her down - also not a superstar on the track, but running just the same.