The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best Army Posts Assignments?

I'll be commissioning in 6 months and my preferences for my first post assignment are due on Nov 16th.
    I don't come from a military background and know virtually nothing about the different bases around the country.

Please educate me!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, have you figured out what you are going to be doing in the Army yet? That plays a big role in which posting you should look at. Domestic posts don't look as good as foreign posts and a lot of people choose foreign posts based on what they can get out of living in the country like travel access to nearby countries and sights and all that.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Well, have you figured out what you are going to be doing in the Army yet? That plays a big role in which posting you should look at. Domestic posts don't look as good as foreign posts and a lot of people choose foreign posts based on what they can get out of living in the country like travel access to nearby countries and sights and all that.
    Ordnance (EOD)... so from what it looks like I have a lot of options, I just know nothing about any of them. The only army bases I've been to have been Ft. Lewis and Ft. Jackson.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Well, for that, after your year or so of training, you'd be going wherever there is an opening and not necessarily where you selected in your preferences, so your posting preferences may be irrelevant by that time. However, I would tell you to look at the foreign postings in Europe since that's where you are likely to be sent anyway given the Middle East deployments. If you look at those and find something you like, I suspect you would get lucky and it would look good on your record to choose a posting in that part of the world because it shows drive and a willingness to step up. Of course, you may also end up being rotated all over the place with that MOS. It's very hard to say since demand dictates what you would be doing and where you will be sent at any given time after your training. What are your other MOS choices?
    SPACE FOR RENT

ROTC I assume? Do you know where you stand on the OML? If you are in top 25% you should be pretty certain you'll get an active slot; top 10-15% and you will probably get station of choice. I heard that this year the cutoff for active is even tighter than it has been in the past, and last year was the tightest prior to this one.

Compared to the bases I have visited, Fort Jackson is yuck. Fort Benning is great and it's Infantry heaven. Fort Wainwright is not where you would ever request to go hahaha. Fort Gordon is also yuck.
    Lex, officers don't have MOS, they branch and once assigned to a branch it is just about impossible to change...it happens sometimes but not often.
    You can't go wrong with putting Italy on your OCONUS choices; maybe go by where you would like to be geographically here on the mainland? If you don't want to get an Airborne tab, don't put down Fort Bragg 'cause everyone that goes there needs to do Airborne first.
    Weisse that posts here occasionally is Army so maybe she will pop up 'cause I know she moved around alot during her husband's service career.
    My son was just commissioned last May...worked LTC at Knox during the summer and has been at Benning since September 1. Did Airborne and is now in week 4 of I-BOLC, followed by Ranger School...then to Fort Campbell w/101st Airborne. And my other son is a Sergeant w/1-25th ID, 176th Signal up at Fort Wainwright and did his BCT and AIT at Jackson and Gordon.

Well, I'd try to put Vicenza on your list. We were stationed in Aviano (AF) and I have had family at Vicenza and they loved it.

The US Army bases, I'm not so familiar with. But my brother and SIL are in the Army and have been posted all over...they are currently in Germany, previously Hawaii (they weren't very fond of Hawaii due to expenses and driving issues), Alabama, TX, etc....really, anywhere you go, you're going to find great things and not so great things. Focus on the former and you'll have a good experience wherever you go! Best wishes!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Well, for that, after your year or so of training, you'd be going wherever there is an opening and not necessarily where you selected in your preferences, so your posting preferences may be irrelevant by that time. However, I would tell you to look at the foreign postings in Europe since that's where you are likely to be sent anyway given the Middle East deployments. If you look at those and find something you like, I suspect you would get lucky and it would look good on your record to choose a posting in that part of the world because it shows drive and a willingness to step up. Of course, you may also end up being rotated all over the place with that MOS. It's very hard to say since demand dictates what you would be doing and where you will be sent at any given time after your training. What are your other MOS choices?
    Yeah, it's going to be a LONG training for sure, so I understand that my preferences probably won't matter by the time I get done. But I still have to turn in preferences either way so I might as well put something I want down just incase. Since I'll be an officer we are given a branch, not an MOS. My branch within the army is already set (Ordnance (EOD))... so other branch choices don't really matter at this point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by slp View Post
    ROTC I assume? Do you know where you stand on the OML? If you are in top 25% you should be pretty certain you'll get an active slot; top 10-15% and you will probably get station of choice. I heard that this year the cutoff for active is even tighter than it has been in the past, and last year was the tightest prior to this one.

Compared to the bases I have visited, Fort Jackson is yuck. Fort Benning is great and it's Infantry heaven. Fort Wainwright is not where you would ever request to go hahaha. Fort Gordon is also yuck.
    Lex, officers don't have MOS, they branch and once assigned to a branch it is just about impossible to change...it happens sometimes but not often.
    You can't go wrong with putting Italy on your OCONUS choices; maybe go by where you would like to be geographically here on the mainland? If you don't want to get an Airborne tab, don't put down Fort Bragg 'cause everyone that goes there needs to do Airborne first.
    Weisse that posts here occasionally is Army so maybe she will pop up 'cause I know she moved around alot during her husband's service career.
    My son was just commissioned last May...worked LTC at Knox during the summer and has been at Benning since September 1. Did Airborne and is now in week 4 of I-BOLC, followed by Ranger School...then to Fort Campbell w/101st Airborne. And my other son is a Sergeant w/1-25th ID, 176th Signal up at Fort Wainwright and did his BCT and AIT at Jackson and Gordon.
    Yes, ROTC. I got Active Duty and branched Ordnance (EOD). My second choice... but I'm thrilled that I was selected for EOD and am thankful for the opportunity. Now I just have to make it through that training

I'd be interested in going to airborne school and feel it is a good thing to do but at the same time I wouldn't be heartbroken if I never got the chance.
    Ft. Jackson is definitely not at the top of my list. Ft. Lewis was alright, although I was there for LDAC so I didn't get to see much (although you sure can't beat that view!). I do love rain.

Alaska interests me but I just don't know if I could do the cold...haha.

Vicenza isn't too bad. My BFF was there for several years before he got transferred to Ft. Meade and then Army Recruiting work in NC and now he's at Ft. Bragg, which he LOVES. The Army is closing many foreign bases over the next five years to reduce operating costs, so you may want to choose a centralized posting in Germany or Italy that is not likely to be shut down.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Really, you guys _like_ Fort Benning?? All I get from it is window-rattling noise, and we are miles away. I can't imagine living right on top of that.

Of course, if you *like* blowing stuff up, you might be very happy there.

Just don't expect there to be much in the way of culture. Or food. We have to go to Atlanta to get decent Mexican food, and don't even think about anything as exotic as Thai.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I just got to Fort Carson and I love it here. It's the best of everything. Lots of food choices clubs (haven't gone to then but heard good things), outdoorsy stuff.

"The root of all greatness is the Arabian." ~

Haha, my infantry 2LT son loves Fort Benning, precisely because he gets the chance to blow things up. He's only there until next spring and then gets to live right outside Nashville which is just about perfect.
    When we went down to visit I did notice the lack of interesting restaurants...can only go to Houlihans and B-Dubs so many times LOL.

1 members found this post helpful.

First, congrats and good luck!

One SIL is Military police. He liked his time in Stuggart. From there he went to Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. That was a nice post and the city of Colorado Springs was fun for a young married couple. They are now stationed at Fort Riley which they love because it's close to family and they appreciate the beauty of a 160 year old base. There are plenty of english riding possibilities near both those bases.

You can come visit me while your in EOD school Eglin is beautiful by the way.

I loved Germany! Lived in a small German town and loved the food, shopping, riding, festivals and easy access to every other part of Europe.

It may have changed by now but just fabulous. I was right outside of Stuttgart. I learned the language through the Army and had a blast. Almost any post there was fun.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Thanks guys, I will definitely look into each of those suggestions.

Germany would be cook but I hear it's very competitive to get. I could ADSO (add 3 years to my service obligation) to try and increase my chances of getting it but even with that I'm not sure I'd get it. It's worth a shot if I decide I am really interested in going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    I'll be commissioning in 6 months and my preferences for my first post assignment are due on Nov 16th.
    I don't come from a military background and know virtually nothing about the different bases around the country.

Please educate me!
    Not Army (I'm retired Navy ), but I've visited (in the recent past):

Ft. Campbell, KY. Sprawling place. Nice temporary quarters. Well stocked Commissary and Exchange. Convenient to Nashville (about 1.25 hrs. down the road).

Ft. Knox, KY. Older post, more compact. Some neat, old quarters buildings. Good Commissary and Exchange. Nice view of the Gold Depository. Not too far from Louisville.

Ft. Riley, KS. Was there in Sept. for National Cavalry Competition. Old post, very large area. Lots of history. Good Commissary and Exchange. Expensive booze (more than in TN, and that's saying something). Nearest "civilization" is Kansas City (about 2.0 hrs. away).

Ft. Levenworth, KS. Older post, lots of history. Interesting neighbors in the lockup. Not as well maintained as some others. Good Commissary and Exchange. Very near Kansas City.

My son graduated Boot Camp at Ft. Jackson in 2002. He was not all that thrilled with it. We saw him at Ft. Gordon when he was in AIT. It was OK, but he said that there wasn't much "civilization" once you got past Pizza Hut. I'll have to take his word for it.

If you get the opportunity to "see the world" I'd take it. Do it now before you get "tied down" with family, etc.

If you're not a member of the U.S. Cavalry Association you should be. Go to http://www.uscavalry.org/ The National Cavalry Competition needs YOU!!! Read up on it and, if you can, come on down. If an aging Squid like me can have fun so can you.

Best of luck to you as you begin your career.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I can only speak to the Ft. Lewis area, I was there with my now-husband for almost 2 years before he ETS'd. I spent very little time on post, but we lived in Olympia, about a 20-minute drive south of the main gate. Absolutely loved living there- great little shops/restaurants and the cutest downtown area. Unlimited access to the great outdoors. Post is also close to Tacoma, which has some nice residential areas and restaurants, and a little under an hour to Seattle (if you didn't hit traffic). The weather is significantly better in Olympia than Seattle, if you actually like seeing the sun more than about 4 weeks a year. We really miss living in Olympia, it was our "happy place."

Before Ft. Lewis, hubby was at Ft Benning, which he hated. He spent a lot of time at Bragg, which he liked, and said I would have liked, particularly with it's proximity to Southern Pines.

When he gets home, I'll ask him about other places he's been.

wsmoak and slp-try some of the new places in uptown Columbus-Black Cow is great, Hunter's Pub in Hamilton is the same owner, and wonderful, and I know what you mean about some restaurants not being available here. I want an On the Border, and we need a Cheesecake Factory and PF Chang's, but I don't think that's happening any time soon.

Wsmoak-I live in Fort Mitchell, and get the airborne craft all of the time, but I don't mind that. However, I also get a lot of ground smoke from the controlled burns in January, and sometimes other months, so I guess it all even out in the end.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 4, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White