The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 22, 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    319

    Default Chaffhaye with broodmares/young horses

    http://www.chaffhaye.com/horses

    I have a few friends that switched their horses to chaffhaye and they love it. Especially for their hard keepers & older guys. I know it is a bit cheaper than hay due to our drought this year.

    So I was considering trying a bag to see what I thought but with all my horses either being young or broodmares, I'm not sure.


    Has anyone used chaffhaye & if so how did you like it? Pros vs cons?



  2. #2

    Default

    we were asked to be a dealer for this stuff years ago
    we declined,mainly as it was 40% moisture
    you can do the math on how much actual dry matter your horse is getting once
    you subtract 40% of the total as water...or if you like 30% which would bring it in line with the moisture of dry hay in a barn.
    half the dry matter = twice the intake.
    it was not a product we wished to represent for that reason
    tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2012
    Posts
    748

    Default

    we declined,mainly as it was 40% moisture
    In regard to this, I would inquire the company about the Digestible energy in their products (MJ/Kg). Hay's around 10MJ/kg, so if its higher, it means it gives you more per kilo, regardless of the moisture content.



  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    In regard to this, I would inquire the company about the Digestible energy in their products (MJ/Kg). Hay's around 10MJ/kg, so if its higher, it means it gives you more per kilo, regardless of the moisture content.
    DE has nothing to do with it
    do not forget that a horse requires a percentage of it's body weight every day in dry matter.....thus a horse requires less hay than grass (due to it's high moisture) in LBS intake

    this Chaffe stuff gives you neither and charges you for the privilege.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2012
    Posts
    748

    Default

    do not forget that a horse requires a percentage of it's body weight every day in dry matter....
    Yes, but if you can give a higher energy haylage (or silage, or hay) you can complement the rest of the needed dry matter with a lower quality feed. That's actually what feed companies do when they design a feed.



  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Yes, but if you can give a higher energy haylage (or silage, or hay) you can complement the rest of the needed dry matter with a lower quality feed. That's actually what feed companies do when they design a feed.
    and if you read the advertisements for this product they suggest it as a 100% diet..ergo if you feed the way they suggest,you will have to pay more to feed more and have the same (or less) result.

    Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Location
    Western South Dakota
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    and if you read the advertisements for this product they suggest it as a 100% diet..ergo if you feed the way they suggest,you will have to pay more to feed more and have the same (or less) result.

    Tamara
    There is a dealer for this stuff in our area. They claim that 1 bag of Chaffhay, which is, I think 50 pounds, is the equivalent of a 90 pound bale of alfalfa. I thought that was a "recipe" for colic. And that 50 pound bag is $13.75 so, at least in our area, higher than good alfalfa hay



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    I have been feeding it for 3 years now and am very happy with it. My horses love it, even more so than plain alf hay. Feed it to everyone on the farm, including 2 older broodies who always keep their condition and look great and the young horses.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2004
    Location
    Cairo, Georgia
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    How much does it cost per bag?
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2008
    Posts
    2,451

    Default

    I am bumping this old thread because I have some follow up questions about Chaffhaye, and I hope someone will know.

    My easy keepers have been doing well on a (low quality) round bale in a small-mesh net (plus supplements). I am intrigued by Chaffhay, but I can't think of any way to slow feed it -- and having hay out throughout the day is important to me.

    I've read that it's not all that tasty, and some horses do nibble at it.

    If you use this, do your horses snarf it up like grain or do they nibble at it and make it last?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2008
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Does the molasses make it attract flies?



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    If you use this, do your horses snarf it up like grain or do they nibble at it and make it last?
    Mine LOVE it and snarf it like grain. I have a couple that will leave their grain to go to the chaff if I put it out at the same time. All 5 of mine prefer the chaff over their normal alicia/timothy bermuda mix hay and even regular alfalfa hay (when I feed it). It did take my older gelding a bit to get used to it - it has a strong, distinct odor - but once he did, he loves it now.

    To the other poster who asked... I don't notice it attracting flies.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 27, 2006
    Posts
    529

    Default

    I read that the hanging extra-fine haynets were created for the purpose of feeding haylage which is pretty common practice overseas. Shire's manufactures some of them in different sizes.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shires-Very-...item564d3d8468

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I am bumping this old thread because I have some follow up questions about Chaffhaye, and I hope someone will know.

    My easy keepers have been doing well on a (low quality) round bale in a small-mesh net (plus supplements). I am intrigued by Chaffhay, but I can't think of any way to slow feed it -- and having hay out throughout the day is important to me.

    I've read that it's not all that tasty, and some horses do nibble at it.

    If you use this, do your horses snarf it up like grain or do they nibble at it and make it last?
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,059

    Default

    Maybe http://www.derbyoriginals.com/produc...roducts_id/943

    I thought I read some where these work well
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2008
    Posts
    2,451

    Default

    I appreciate all the ideas.

    I am all set up for slow feeding round bales, and that is working well. I hate to start all over again, getting new netting and/or feeders. But I have become entranced with chaffhaye lately.

    I just don't want them snarfing up their day's feed in two hours and having 22 hours with nothing to do. And if I'm going to feed Chaffhaye, what's the point if I still have to put hay out to give them something to chew on the rest of the day?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2008
    Posts
    597

    Default

    We are interested in looking into it also. So if the molasses doesn't make it attract flies, is the sugar content still higher than regular alfalfa? Those were the potential negatives that concerned us but there did seem like there could be some positives.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2008
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    But I have become entranced with chaffhaye lately.

    I just don't want them snarfing up their day's feed in two hours and having 22 hours with nothing to do. And if I'm going to feed Chaffhaye, what's the point if I still have to put hay out to give them something to chew on the rest of the day?
    Are you hearing that most horses are eating it really quickly or just the occasional one?



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2008
    Posts
    2,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by password View Post
    Are you hearing that most horses are eating it really quickly or just the occasional one?
    I'm getting both answers.

    I do have an answer on the molasses/sugar question. The sugar is required to feed the yeast. The same as if you are making homemade bread: you put in a tiny bit of sugar so that the yeast will do its thing and the bread will rise. It's not enough sugar to affect the taste or the NSC count. In fact, I would guess that the yeast has "eaten" the sugar before the horse gets it. I read somewhere that it's like 1 tablespoon of molasses per bale of hay. Not significant.

    The company will send you a free sample. Mine is on its way.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2008
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Thanks for the info and please keep us posted!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2008
    Posts
    2,451

    Default

    Well, since you're interested, I am considering getting a porta grazer to use as a slow feeder with the Chaffhaye. Otherwise, I'm afraid they'll scarf up the day's feed in one hour.

    My only issue with the Porta-Grazer is that only one horse can stick his head in it at a time. Mine are used to sharing a round bale, and one horse is afraid of the other. The round bale gives them an opportunity to spread out. I'm not sure how this feeder will affect the herd dynamics.
    Last edited by Cindyg; Jan. 19, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden



Similar Threads

  1. Chaffhaye - Weight dry (less moisture content)?
    By grayarabs in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
  2. Breeders, at what age do you present for inspection your young broodmares?
    By TrotTrotPumpkn in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jul. 1, 2012, 10:32 PM
  3. Free Horses - broodmares as well
    By Show Hunter in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb. 3, 2011, 09:15 AM
  4. Chaffhaye alfalfa... anyone?
    By Boomer in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May. 23, 2010, 11:35 PM
  5. Feeding Chaffhaye?
    By VaLisa in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug. 12, 2009, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •