The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hurricane Sandy Lost Pets...please share!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Gov. Christie has set up a pet rescue hotline:

http://www.nj.gov/agriculture/news/p...ess121102.html

The Christie Administration today announced the establishment of a hotline for residents affected by Hurricane Sandy who left their pets behind when evacuating their homes in advance of the storm. The phone number to call is 1-855-407-4787 (1-855-407-HSUS).
    The New Jersey Department of Agriculture has been working with the state Office of Emergency Management, U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) to help dogs, cats and other pets and owners in need.

There have been reports of residents separated from their animals during the evacuation of their homes as Hurricane Sandy approached. To minimize the risk of these residents trying to return to their homes in dangerous situations to retrieve their pets, a system has been established to make official animal rescue personnel available to assist these residents.

Those who call the hotline will be asked for information to assist animal rescue teams in locating the animals and bringing them safely to a shelter.

The hotline is available 24 hours a day.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hmmm. May be headed down eventually to give relatives a hand. Leaving my own pets with a friend. But this gives me the idea to travel with a crate in the back, just in case. Always have leashes and collars (and halters!) in the back of my car.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Nice to see that the officials in charge of evacuations and shelters have finally realized the importance of peoples' pets. I think there were too many sad stories of people refusing to evacuate in emergencies if they couldnt take pets and then perishing in the disaster.
    Our local storm shelter made arrangements for pets from the start. Another started out as "no pets" but quickly changed after some officials intervened.
    All these disasters have provided new insights and procedures for help and response!