The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A couple of weeks ago I went into WalMart to get something for my lawn mower. Went to the garden shop, which had already been completely taken over with Christmas decorations. . . hoses?? nope. Fertilizer?? nope. Garden tools, lawn supplies, nope, nope, nada. . .
    Went to the outside garden shop and it wasn't there either.

I live in Florida, folks. We garden year round.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I went into WalMart to get something for my lawn mower. Went to the garden shop, which had already been completely taken over with Christmas decorations. . . hoses?? nope. Fertilizer?? nope. Garden tools, lawn supplies, nope, nope, nada. . .
    Went to the outside garden shop and it wasn't there either.

I live in Florida, folks. We garden year round.
    Try Lowe's. We were in there last weekend & there were no Christmas decorations in sight in the garden dept. Don't know about the rest of the store.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

ROFLMAO Punting Puppies - there's a phrase!!
    (I agree about Christmas in the Northwest)

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Heck yes! I gotta tell ya though, I really hate that certain stations play Christmas music 24/7 for a month. This may be surprising considering I am a Jesus loving Christian but I like my Holiday music at the Holiday, not slammed in my face 24/7.

I really hate the cranberry song. And Christmas in the Northwest makes me want to punt puppies

I was so glad to read about the Shoppers DrugMart decision... I hate Christmas music for weeks on end. It does not put me in a Christmas mood... Au contraire!!

My DD works in retail and it drove her crazy last year... this year, she is working more in the warehouse and hopes she can turn the radio down or off altogether!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    My DD works in retail and it drove her crazy last year... this year, she is working more in the warehouse and hopes she can turn the radio down or off altogether!
    The retail company I work for had this God awful Christmas jingle a few years ago, and they played it in the stores constantly. We were getting customer complaints, and it was so bad that a columnist wrote about it in our local paper, saying things about bleeding ears and how the "powers that be" at our head office ought to be subjected to it on loop if they were going to force their retail employees to listen to it.

Needless to say, no more crappy jingles. Just regular Christmas music.

I must be the oddball. I love seeing Christmas stuff. I start shopping about now so I can spread it out over multiple paychecks so it gets me in the mood

I don't start the Christmas music until thanksgiving though. We watch A Christmas Story every thanksgiving.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I am not a fan of TG, so as far as I'm concerned, Christmas can start on Nov 1. I love Hallowee, decorate for that like crazy, then pull it and start getting ready for Christmas. I still don't want to listen to non stop Christmans music, though!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    About time! They won't be decorating for Christmas until Nov. 27th! GO NORDIES!!!

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...13490115_n.jpg
    I don't think Nordies has ever decorated before T-Day. The one in Salem would have all employees on deck to fully Christmasize the store overnight. I love that store for many reasons! Good value clothes, great return policy, excellent employees, etc...
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmph. I like Christmas, and I choose to listen to Christmas music at work non-stop for at least the entire month of December!

For whoever mentioned Canada's Remembrance Day, we do have Veterans Day here in the US - I believe it's the 12th? Not that many people seem to celebrate it, unfortunately.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    For whoever mentioned Canada's Remembrance Day, we do have Veterans Day here in the US - I believe it's the 12th? Not that many people seem to celebrate it, unfortunately.
    Just Googled it - it's the 11th, like our Remembrance Day. Who knew. I wasn't aware you had one around the same time of year, haven't heard it mentioned before. Remembrance Day is a pretty big deal here. Stores close, schools close, usually they have assemblies with students before hand, everyone wears poppies.

I wonder if yours is overshadowed by Thanksgiving? (Which seems silly to me.)

Our owner is old enough to remember when Christmas decorations and sales were put out after Thanksgiving. After the Santa parade, with the Budweiser Clydes, at Thanksgiving.

We warmbloods aren't that old. So we remember that this year the Halloween stuff was out months ago. How long does that chocolate last?

We do like the tree, and all the lights, we get each Christmas. it's not the presents (we get everything we want all the time, we're warmbloods) its the beauty of the trees and lights and singing. We'd love to go caroling on horseback, but our owner says there are too many idiots out there who would not appreciate our neighing.

Our stockings go up, but we don't get anything in them because one of us would tear down his stall if he smelled anything yummy in his stocking. At least we don't get a lump of coal. We also have jingle bell wreaths. It is great to see how many times we can make those jingles jingle. It drives other horses bonkers. Our decorations go up in December and come down New Year's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post

I wonder if yours is overshadowed by Thanksgiving? (Which seems silly to me.)
    I think it's overshadowed by the general population's lack of caring for anyone but themselves, frankly. The only people I know that actively celebrate the holiday are veterans and their families (mine included). The city puts the flags out, everyone else just looks at it as a free vacation day (Monday is a holiday).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I have mixed feelings on Christmas decorations in stores.

Small displays early I'm ok with. In craft stores I have no problem at all with Christmas stuff in July because if you do that stuff, you need time to actually do it. I worked retail through college and we got the stuff in from July to November, and had the bulk of it by September. The store could not specify a delivery to the manufacturer beyond July - December. The window was that big. It's nice to say, "oh they should just keep it in a warehouse or stockroom until November" but keeping merchandise off the sales floor for 3 or 4 months is silly.

I love Christmas carols. The slugs in my care are subjected them from Thanksgiving on. The campy 50's ones especially. I love Christmas shopping and the crowded stores.

However, the full blown Christmas decorations - the trees, wreaths, swags and garlands all over the store annoy me. I went off at Wegman's over the weekend since Christmas trees magically sprouted up 2 days after Halloween.

I'm all for putting off the decorating and music until after Thanksgiving, but I NEED those decorations out around Nov 1
    I have a list, I have a deadline. My decorations go up the week after Thanksgiving, and by then I have all my new additions bought.

It takes me three weeks to get around to every store and collect up the 20 light LED battery operated light strings, the miniwreaths, the white poinsettia picks, the new ornaments in brass/copper tones for the redecorated office, the ornament hooks, check the new assortment of tree skirts....

Lots to do!

Love Nordstrom. It is so nice to go into that store right after Thanksgiving and see all the Christmas decorations. I look forward to seeing the new look every year. The other thing I really like is when they have their Christmas open house, where they have booths with hot cider, people dipping walnuts in minty chocolate (and passing them out), a wreath-making table, the local troupe of little ballerinas from The Nutcracker doing a little performance, cookies... a lot of fun.

It's hard to get to Nordstrom from where I live now.

What's the cranberry song? I hate the Christmas shoes one, but my fav is the snoopy one (Christmas bells?)
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products