The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Hurray for Nordstrom, taking a stand!

About time! They won't be decorating for Christmas until Nov. 27th! GO NORDIES!!!

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...13490115_n.jpg
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

17 members found this post helpful.

No Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving? Good. Now there's something I can agree with you on
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

1 members found this post helpful.

Heck yes! I gotta tell ya though, I really hate that certain stations play Christmas music 24/7 for a month. This may be surprising considering I am a Jesus loving Christian but I like my Holiday music at the Holiday, not slammed in my face 24/7.

I really hate the cranberry song. And Christmas in the Northwest makes me want to punt puppies
    The Knotted Pony

3 members found this post helpful.

For once, a smart decision for a change. I was in Tractor Supply on Monday and they were already getting ready with X-mas decorations etc. Even the employees were complaining about it. Heck, it wasn't even Halloween!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

They could wait till 12/15 as far as I'm concerned but absolutely a step in the right direction. Maybe they won't put out Valentine's Day stuff on 1/1!

You know what really kills me in the PNW? Back to school ads in July! As if our summers weren't short enough!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I work in a retail store and I don't think our christmas stuff goes on the floor until after tgiving (or maybe the week before). Anyway it's not for awhile yet as we just got a brand new floor set and no Christmas in sight. I'm actually really excited for Christmassy stuff this year because I pretty much missed it completely last year .
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Our local walmarts started playing xmas music on November 1. Now, I like xmas music, but let's wait just a bit, please! Heard on the news this morning that some shoppers at a Shopper's Drug Mart complained about xmas music being played already, so the stores have gone back to the regular muzak, and won't put the xmas on again till closer to the end of the month.

2 members found this post helpful.

I knew there was a reason I like Nordstrom more than Macy's! I hate almost all holiday stuff before the middle of November (although I have to admit, I love getting the Starbucks red cups now - it kind of eases you into the season).

3 members found this post helpful.

Even more of a reason to buy the dress that is slightly more than I wanted to spend, for a Christmas Present to myself :-)

YAY was appalled, in Kohl's in early October and they already had the artificial trees out. No wonder everyone is so stressed out and sick of Christmas by the time it actually gets here!
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Thank heavens! I worked in a mall as a store manager for years and I HATED Christmas from October through Christmas...no thanks! Way to go Nordstroms!

This makes me want to shop at Nordstroms.

3 stores I've been in had Xmas decorations before Halloween. That's just wrong...I understand that the decor and fake sales gets people in a buying mood, but still....October?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

It gets me an annoyed mood!
    The Knotted Pony

I think this has been Nordstrom's policy forever. Maybe they're just now promoting it. I was in Sears at the beginning of October and had to walk past Christmas stuff. Ridiculous.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

YAY!!!! As much as I LOVE Christmas and decorations, I don't like skipping Thanksgiving.

Taco bell also has fall decorations, and they wait until after TG to decorate for Christmas.

I went into a Garden Ridge store this summer looking for replacement outdoor furniture and cushions, to find Christmas trees, lights and decorations for sale.

This was in late July-early August.

Another factor is Canada (and other countries) is that Remembrance Day in honour of our veterans is November 11th (kind of like your Memorial Day). It is always nice for us to have time to celebrate this great day without interference from Santa Claus. A respectful rule of thumb is to wait until the 12th or later to decorate, of course that doesn't always happen.

From a personal annoyance stand point, I would love it to be even later, but our Thanksgiving is in October so there's nothing else in November stopping companies from bombarding us with Christmas music...

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    This makes me want to shop at Nordstroms.

3 stores I've been in had Xmas decorations before Halloween. That's just wrong...I understand that the decor and fake sales gets people in a buying mood, but still....October?
    Yep, I've definitely seen Christmas stuff out already. It's such a sensationalized "shop, shop, shop!" holiday.

I saw Christmas wreaths up at the entrance to my work today.... crazy.
    I remember thinking Christmas decorations went up sooner than I expected in Ireland, and supposed it was because of the lack of Thanksgiving in late November to stall it out a bit (in my American frame of reference of course).
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)