The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No real advice other than DO look into your insurance coverage and make sure they will cover you as your property is set up now. My BO's insurance requires 6' fences for stallions. We have 5' fences so any stallions that come in for training have to be stalled while they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post
    So I've been looking for boarders for a while now and it seems I have the plague, no calls, no e-mails, nada. I understand what I'm asking is a hair high for the area, but not outrageous, really nice SMALL farm, and for the care provided, I can't do it any cheeper.

Gentleman call today and asks if I board stallions... Honestly I never gave it much thought. I've boarded at barns with Studs and have handled and ridden a few and not had a whole lot of problems. The guy said that he's a halter horse and wants to saddle break him soon (I have a really nice 70ish ft wooden round pen), he's laid back and his teenage (19) daughter handles him no problem. He doesn’t want turn out since he works with him often (he's currently stalled) Stud is an arab. Guy sound laid back and nice too.

One of my main concerns is liability, I'll be reading my contract over! and the LO has kids (9 and 14) that like to come pet the horses (are not allowed in stalls fences etc without me there)

I have one large field and a smaller dry lot where the 2 mare (only other 2 horses there) spend most of their time because one i suspect is IR and the other can't handle the hormones in grass )

For those of you with studs or people who board stallions, what are your thoughts? What special accommodations do you have to provide, special insurance? I don’t have an issue with stallions but I don’t want to make a hasty decision because I need a boarder.
    dont do it think- if you have mares on your property and he get with them then you are liable

as most owners that have mares have that choice if they want to breed from them or not, most dont
    then if they dont they might op for baby to be aborted and the mare is at risk of dieing, or they opt to have the foal etc
    your liable as land owner for those cost as your the one that offered this stallion to be there with out proper facilities to cater for his needs

why on earth do you think the bloke is ringing round yards cos the answer is no

if hes young as in the arab- then say geld him if hes dropped if hes a colt and not dropped then you can possibly take him in but have that commitment from the man in writting as soon as he has he will have the operation to be gelded

depending on his age----- if hes gelded he might still have stallion attitudes and when the mare come into season he will want to be with them

be aware that any injuires occuring again are partly your fault

stallions have to have at least 6ft fencing - and stabling on there own no where near mares at all

and the stable has to be sufficant as beleive me if they want out they wil get out and agian damage is a a cost to yourself

is it worth it------

you think on mate put your clients your yard and your people 1st health and safety at all times
    as you could be facing - horses out and public liablity in straying, damage to fences stables, and horses plus people

and kids sorry have to come 1st horses that need specific handling wont care about kids and nor will the man

dont be gualible---------- read between the lines of what the man is saying

think- if hes stalled at stud and wants to move and keep him entire whats wrong with said horse- hes only halter broken
    says a lot to me------------- hard to handle not easy and they have asked him to leave maybe

dont be a plonker and put yourself your yard your easy life now at risk

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    dont do it think- if you have mares on your property and he get with them then you are liable

as most owners that have mares have that choice if they want to breed from them or not, most dont
    then if they dont they might op for baby to be aborted and the mare is at risk of dieing, or they opt to have the foal etc
    your liable as land owner for those cost as your the one that offered this stallion to be there with out proper facilities to cater for his needs

why on earth do you think the bloke is ringing round yards cos the answer is no

if hes young as in the arab- then say geld him if hes dropped if hes a colt and not dropped then you can possibly take him in but have that commitment from the man in writting as soon as he has he will have the operation to be gelded

depending on his age----- if hes gelded he might still have stallion attitudes and when the mare come into season he will want to be with them

be aware that any injuires occuring again are partly your fault

stallions have to have at least 6ft fencing - and stabling on there own no where near mares at all

and the stable has to be sufficant as beleive me if they want out they wil get out and agian damage is a a cost to yourself

is it worth it------

you think on mate put your clients your yard and your people 1st health and safety at all times
    as you could be facing - horses out and public liablity in straying, damage to fences stables, and horses plus people

and kids sorry have to come 1st horses that need specific handling wont care about kids and nor will the man

dont be gualible---------- read between the lines of what the man is saying

think- if hes stalled at stud and wants to move and keep him entire whats wrong with said horse- hes only halter broken
    says a lot to me------------- hard to handle not easy and they have asked him to leave maybe

dont be a plonker and put yourself your yard your easy life now at risk
    Oh please. Stallions do not NEED 6 foot fencing (except in a few municipalities) they do not need to be kept no where near the mares.

I was part of a co-op barn that also had a couple of full boarders. The one full boarder had a 3 year old Trak stallion. He got turned out with a gelding or two in the grass ring that was surrounded on all sides by the main turn-out field. The fencing was three board and just over 4 foot tall. There were 2 mares and 1 filly in the main field.
    He could be cross tied in front of the mares' stalls. He sometimes was in a stall next to the mare- it had a high solid wall between the stall and a grid in the front so they couldn't play face games.

If he was taken to a show he was handled with a chain shank but that was not needed at the home farm. I sometimes handle my gelding at a show with a chain shank.

Even after she moved him to her own farm and started breeding him he was always well behaved. One time I was moving him down the aisle to the cross ties and he arched his neck, dropped and talked to the mare. I growled at him a little, yanked on his halter to remind him of his manners and it was done. I then put him on the cross ties in between two mare and went and cleaned his stall. He fell asleep in the cross ties. Yes, he showed interest. Yes, I had to tell him pay attention to me but he complied quickly and I was comfortable enough to cross tie him in front of the mares and know he would behave.

It all depends on the individual stallion.

OP- I would talk to the current boarding barn and see if you can find out what the stallion is really like and whether the owners really come out and give him enough excercise on a daily basis. Obviously talk to your insurance to see if they have additional fees or requirements.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Oh please. Stallions do not NEED 6 foot fencing (except in a few municipalities) they do not need to be kept no where near the mares.
    The individual horse may not need 6 foot fencing but it's not uncommon for insurance policies to require it so it's important to look into the matter with your insurance agent.

We do not board other people's stallions, but we have 6 of our own... It sounds weird to me that he says he does not need turnout. In my experience, a stallion absolutely must have at least a little bit of turn out. We have special stallion dry lots with 5' fences that have a strand of hot wire at the top.

Also, a stallion's personality can completely change with a change of scenary so just seeing him and handling him at his current place does not mean that is how he will be at yours.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia