The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FTGH Fabulous Fat, Fun Black Pony located near Ithaca, NY

Popeye is a fabulous, funny, fat (we've tried to get him to a normal weight), rideable 12.1 pony. We think he's possibly part Islandic but he is PONY all the way around and Round he is. He's holding his own at about 800 pounds.

He's approximately 21-22 years old but you would not know it. He's health as a horse. He has had this last year off really b/c my lesson kids have outgrown him. He's NOT for a beginner b/c he's a forward pony. He is WTC but is more of a WTer, it take a bit to get and keep him in a canter. In regular work he would probably be fine. The person I got him from 2+ years ago told me he did go over cross rails, I have not taken him over them under saddle just free lunging, but she was not truthful about other stuff so I can only confirm what I know from him being on my farm.

Excellent ground manners, practically self-loads, clips, bathes, great for farrier and so forth. He does not like to be blanketed. I think he feels he's a big boy and does not need one. He's very,very fluffy now and has this wonderful wild mane and full tail. LOVES attention and comes right up to you and he's very hugable!

He's a master at getting a halter off. We don't keep halters on in the pasture but if you take him out, put him in a stall with his halter, to say wait for the farrier, he'll have that halter off in 5 minutes.

He's a real character. He's currently in a pasture with 5 other big geldings and my stallion. He pushes my stallion (who's a 16.3h Percheron/TB), and a 17.2 hand Irish gelding around. Last year he was top banana in a pasture with two 2 year old colts. He kept them right in their place! He respects fencing, the rules and will make someone a wonderful pony. He's pretty fearless-the only thing I have found that he does not like is baby cows-we found that out when we had him at the local county fair. Go figure, maybe it's a size thing.

Please message me with your email and I can send you photos and video of him. ONLY to a good home. Must have references, I will check and will ask for photos of where he will be living. I will also keep track of him to make sure he's happy and healthy and he'll go with a signed contract! He does best on 24/7 turn out, which is what he is in now with a big run-in. He needs the time to get back in shape so he may pull a few tricks. I have never had him buck or bolt. Just pony stuff. Ask any questions. He does have a current coggins, rabies and is UTD on shots but you'd have to pay for a health certificate if he leaves NYS-that's DOT rules not mine.

Thank you!!!

I have had a few replys but not a match for this wonderful boy. Just bumping up to find him a wonderful home.