The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Special toys?

DD is now old enough that she's entertained by simple toys throughout the day, which makes my life 100 x's easier. However, our JRT x has been destroying them or 'hiding' them around the house in various toy stashes. I try to keep them picked up and out of her reach, but this morning she took a block right out of my daughter's hand when she thought I wasn't looking and tried to run off with it to 'bury' it in her house.

I told her drop it, took the toy away, and offered her one of hers. Within 2 minutes she was back trying to pilfer DD's. We got her a bunch of her 'own' toys that I don't let DD play with, but she'd rather just destroy the baby's. She doesn't get mean when I take them away, and will listen to a 'leave it' or 'drop' if I catch her in the act. She'll even let DD take them away from her.

Is there any way that I can teach her the difference? She's an extremly smart dog and I'm sure she could learn, I'm just not sure how to go about teaching her.

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Sometimes, less is more. For some dogs, if they have too many toys, they start thinking that everything accessible to them is a toy. This applies not only to kids' toys, but also shoes, electronics, really anything the pup can reach.

I'm not a dog trainer so hopefully you'll get even better recommendations, but if it were me, I'd put all but maybe 2 of the dog's toys up in a closet. Have a little basket that is the "toy basket" for pup. You can rotate toys out every week or so. But basically, make sure she knows that those are hers. Maybe even start teaching "go get your ball!" "go get your bone!" Make a big happy deal over her when she is using one of her toys.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Good idea!

I think that you are spot on, we went a little bit overboard with the dog toys because we didn't want her to be playing with the baby's or feel jealous, so I'm sure we created our own problem.

I'll try that and see if it works!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Someone once told me they put a drop of peppermint oil on the dogs toys, and corrected the dog when it grabbed others. Sadly theres been a few casualties in the baby vs dog toy wars in my house, and the ears will be chewed off of a few baby items. The dog is not a die-hard type however, and the baby doesnt seem to mind. An occasional soaking in dilute bleach and they are all back in their respective boxes. (toys, not the kiddo or the dog!)

1 members found this post helpful.