The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My cats are sleeping upstairs. I think they got tired of being coughed and sneezed on
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

1 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I think it's interesting that there is one thread on whether horsewomen are too tough and emasculating, and another concerned about whether a "thumbs down" from a complete stranger on the internet is causing hurt feelings. We are a strange bunch!

9 members found this post helpful.

Mine get mad and huffy and try to push me away. Heehee! I just push back and then one always "grumps" at me.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

(
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I just find it odd that they're listed in one's notifications as "good" or "bad".
    To me, disagreement doesn't automatically mean"bad".
    Absolutely right! If we didn't disagree on anything, we'd all still be living in trees or caves or something, picking ticks out of our fur. (Of course, if you are a creationist, then I guess you'll probably disagree with me on that last point. )

Liz

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm a creationist and I agree, well, what fur are we talking about? LOL! But seriously, disagreement propels thinking and creativity.
    The Knotted Pony

Since I've only had Likes, then it's wonderful. Ask me when someone says I'm awful.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Since I've only had Likes, then it's wonderful. Ask me when someone says I'm awful.
    I had a long row of likes until I posted on the political threads, then mostly dislikes, which I already expected.

Since then, it has been back and forth and, well, have not looked any more, who has time for that and everything else.

If I can't tell who likes or dislikes an idea and why, well, then it really doesn't matter what they think, without something to go by.

I just checked and someone liked this grumbly post, go figure.

I wonder if the thumbs up means more than one thing, like thank you, good idea, I agree, so much more that those of us that are not familiar with this realize.

Now, the red one, that is more self explanatory, someone doesn't like you or your idea.

Can you actually see who thumbed up or down your post? I thought maybe there was a way to see this . . . Anyone?
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I had a long row of likes until I posted on the political threads, then mostly dislikes, which I already expected.

Since then, it has been back and forth and, well, have not looked any more, who has time for that and everything else.

If I can't tell who likes or dislikes an idea and why, well, then it really doesn't matter what they think, without something to go by.

I just checked and someone liked this grumbly post, go figure.

I wonder if the thumbs up means more than one thing, like thank you, good idea, I agree, so much more that those of us that are not familiar with this realize.

Now, the red one, that is more self explanatory, someone doesn't like you or your idea.
    Bluey, I am someone who disagrees with you on political threads. However, I don't know you and I hope that you understand that my posts never intend for you to feel in any way that I don't like "you". In fact you asked me about my husband when he had emergency surgery last summer, it was so sweet and considerate of you.

There are only a couple of posters that I don't care for and the truth is one of my best friends is actually a member of the John Birch society (way far right).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I just find it odd that they're listed in one's notifications as "good" or "bad".
    To me, disagreement doesn't automatically mean"bad".
    yes, this is the strange part. You get a notification that says "Helpful Post ratings" and then they are listed as "good" or "bad". I think thumbs up or down would make more sense.... but since you know what it means, it doesn't really matter.... just words... I think the flurry of ratings will die down as the novelty wears off (and the political threads run their course), then it's a nice easy way to say you agree with someone..... or like their cute fluffy pony pictures....

I don't necessarily agree with them (think they're a bit juvenile), or the wording (posts you disagree with are not "bad"), or the way some will use them (I've issued like one thumbs down and it was a terribly offensive post and 10+ other people said they didn't appreciate it... however I've gotten plenty of thumbs things as innocent as saying "how?" to a poster asking them to explain what they said).

All that being said... can we please at least put the notifications somewhere other than clumped with PMs? I've gotten nearly 50 evaluations since logging in last night. I do not have the time or desire to check every single one. I likely wouldn't look at all if I didn't need to do it to clear my notifications to see about PMs. And of course clearing will include looking, which will include scowling at the "bad", which will include plotting against posters...

Well everyone should "thumbs up" my post!
    Reason? I just resisted temptation. After reading all the posts in this thread I soooo wanted to "thumbs down" all of them. Just to be contrary. But I didnt...

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Bluey, I am someone who disagrees with you on political threads. However, I don't know you and I hope that you understand that my posts never intend for you to feel in any way that I don't like "you". In fact you asked me about my husband when he had emergency surgery last summer, it was so sweet and considerate of you.

There are only a couple of posters that I don't care for and the truth is one of my best friends is actually a member of the John Birch society (way far right).
    Glad that you explained who that JB society is, as that would have been my next question.

It was so nice of you to explain, thank you.
    I just like to hear what others have to say and respond to that, no matter who they are.
    Some times, I even change my mind after hearing other opinions.

I would give your post a thumbs up, but I am refraining from using that feature on principle, will keep answering directly, so won't.

What highflyingbey said.

(Was going to say this myself )

I think it's the Facebook influence, and I know there have been *many* times when I've read a COTH post and have been internally nodding in agreement, with no way to share this without quoting the poster and saying "this", or "agree", or ^^^.

There is no "dislike" button on FB, though I think there should be. I think most folks on FB often "like" status updates when they simply want to acknowledge them (even when they are bad news or something similar); the use of the dislike button would be in response to a post like: "my horse is lame" , or something of that nature. (Can you tell that 90% of my FB friends are horsepeople? )

On COTH, OTOH, people are not presumed to be "friends" (or even acquaintances), and--since we are (mostly) anonymous--posters feel at liberty to be snarkier and nastier than they do on the social networks.

Would you speak to (or write something to) someone you knew personally that included the vitriol and nastiness that some posters exhibit here?

(Not always, of course, many, many people on this board are very supportive, kind and decent sorts--but there are some certifiable nutjobs and some real asshats who post here too. Just sayin.)

The dislike button? Now those same people can dislike you anonymously, if they are of the mind to, but if you have a thick skin, it shouldn't bother you.

I don't have a thick skin, and I go out of my way to make sure that I NEVER make anyone uncomfortable (yeah, I'm working on this "character flaw" :-/), but I might use the dislike button if I happened to disagree with the POV of the poster, or with a particular opinion expressed--it's the perfect way for a conflict avoider to share their $0.2. I haven't yet done this, but I have liked a few posts, but then again I am a great appreciator.
    Last edited by Dr. Doolittle; Nov. 3, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

So, if we get a "thumb" it wll be in our notifications?
    I just checked mine, and it's empty. I guess that means no one cares either way about my posts. Now my feelings are REALLY hurt.

Just jokin' - I teach at a junior high and get enough drama there each day to last several lifetimes.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeus View Post
    I just checked mine, and it's empty. I guess that means no one cares either way about my posts. Now my feelings are REALLY hurt.
    There, I thumbed you so you wouldn't feel left out.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

You need to stop thumbing people all out in public like that! That belongs behind closed doors... or, a locker room!
    The Knotted Pony

I am crossing my fingers that clicking "thumbs up" will cut down on the number of people who insist on quoting a long post in its entirety simply to say "This."
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeus View Post

Just jokin' - I teach at a junior high and get enough drama there each day to last several lifetimes.
    I also thumbed you !

I think there should be a THIRD button for posts that make you spit your coffee/pop/food on the keyboard or at least startle the pest when you start laughing.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

2 members found this post helpful.