The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    roughly 72 hours post-kick. My "favorite" part is that you can pretty clearly see the seam of my carhart coveralls running through the middle.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...24904390_n.jpg

My guess is that it's going to get darker before it gets better.
    Not always. My really bad kick...where I still can feel it months later...never got very dark. About what yours is now. But it was DEEP and sore for a long time. Keep treating it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Other people mentioned hard areas post-kick that become permanent. There is a chance really significant hematomas (from blunt trauma) can cause abnormal calcifications within the muscle aka myosotis ossificans. Other than rest, the Aleve the ED gave you, periods of ice after initial injury x 72h, and monitoring it, no real way to prevent it.
    Hope it's feeling better!
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Ok, so I almost went back to the ER this morning. Talked to the X and he wasn't as concerned but wow... this is painful. And I'm not talking about the impact area. It's not painful (unless I bump it of course). It is EXTREMELY colorful -- mostly in yellows and purples. Pretty impressive actually. No, the pain is lower... in and around my knee. Noticed the last couple days that when I would walk, still with a limp obviously, right above my knee just a bit to the outside as well as down into my calf would tighten up. Last night, when I would get up or even when I would move the leg in my sleep, the pain in and aroudn my knee on the injured leg was enough to wake me in my sleep or make me stop til it subsided. This morning, there's a bruise just to the outside and under my kneecap. And the knee feels swollen though there isn't any major swelling that can be seen. Talked to the X as mentioned and he didn't feel it was any major deal at this point... more like, you injured the leg and are now limping on it thus putting stress in places that haven't been stressed before... joints especially. I just got up from my desk and went to fill my hot pot to make some tea and the pain made me stop for a moment til it subsided. Did I mention than an hour ago I took a prescription naproxen (500mg)?? One woudl think that would help!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Mine significantly hurt for a long time...and turned those purple and yellow colors (which were there for a few weeks). It also woke me up sleeping for a while...but I wouldn't say I limped a ton. Some...but once I had been moving around, it got better. But after sitting or sleeping....I was pretty crippled for a little while until I walked through it. It also moved down my leg some too.

Not sure if you should go to the DR....perhaps. But just saying, a solid kick to you leg takes a long time to heal.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

BFNE, that's exactly what it feel like. I'm fine (ish) once I get moving. Still sore and thus I move a little funny, but mostly the pain is when I'm still and move it initially. I'm just hoping to be able to ride a little this weekend. The weather is going to be gorgeous (sunny and mid 60s) and I woudl HATE to miss it.

Did yours look anything like this?
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XRIL-xNko_...600/bruise.jpg
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Oh yeah. Here is what it looked like as it was getting better (it had been darker). For as much as that sucker hurt...I thought it would look even worse. But there is now a dent on my leg and a bit of hard spot where it was so I think it was really deep.

ETA: sorry just looked again, that was the picture after the first day or so...it got darker. But similar dark purples and yellows. Funny thing was where it hurt the most is NOT where it was darkest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	37130  
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Default kicked

Sounds like your kick was harder than mine but I was caught in the forearm thankfully just forward of the elbow. IT HURT LIKE A SUMMABEE! and could not lift arm above waist, then could not fully flex without a great deal of pain. Iced, then took my ever loving Himilayan salt bath, then Sore No More and 500 mg of liquid gel Ibu. Two days of that a couple times a day and a week later, all better. After two days I could clean the pasture with a wheelbarrow. Healing thoughts to you.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Hey BFNE... when your bruise started dissipating, did you get any bruising suddenly showing up lower on your leg? I am! Not only is there the dark bruise below and to the outside of my kneecap, but there's another that showed up as a separate bruise below the knee and then the outside of my upper calf/shin is starting to bruise!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GgG3AwUZmm...kneebruise.jpg

My camera on my phone is a P.O.S. and doesn't do the deepness of the colors justice. It's looking really ugly.

In other news, I did ride AND jump the 6yo on Saturday. Not much. About 20 minutes of flatwork and then through a small grid. Even stayed with him when he did a "this is fun" little buck (the stinker). Was a bit sore after, but it felt good to ride again.

Feel better! I have a permanent dent on my right thigh from a kick 15+ years ago! Right in the center of it is an eraser sized scar from a piece of gravel that drove into my thigh during impact. Ouch. I was at a show with my young horse and stupidly walking behind her and another horse. They were both being held by my friend. As I passed behind another horse passed in front. My mare kicked out, nailing my thigh and to add insult to injury the other horse my friend was holding spooked, kicked out and nailed me in my OTHER thigh. O.M.G was it awful! I had to dig the rock out of my thigh and the pain....oh the pain. Just standing was almost impossible. I was 14 years old and my idiot trainer told me to "suck it up and quit being a baby and ride". I did. I got on my GREEN mare at her first over fences show with 2 swollen excrutiatingly painful thighs and attempted my course. I threw up from the pain mid-course and almost passed out. Dumb ass trainer! Took a few weeks for the pain to go completely. Hang in there and by all means go to the doctor if you get worried! Jingles for a speedy recovery!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Feel better soon! My most recently healed bruise (backside, from the corner of one of those low/square plastic jump standards), looked exactly like that and I couldn't sit right for weeks! I had somersaulted from a canter onto it when the lesson horse decided to stop and swivel at the last moment. Hope you heal up and can ride soon

Thanks. Getting there. Still having issues when I START movement (from sitting or laying down) and walking right now feels like I did some climbing yesterday or something else heavy on my knees... they feel abused -- a little swollen and stiff without actually being swollen if that makes sense. The bruising around my knee is also getting REALLY pretty. But riding again tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Sitting here, laid up with a broken leg.
    And let me tell you the bruising stuff can be weird!
    I broke fibula, 6 weeks ago. Spiral fracture, with some displacement at the top area of the break.

Having had some nasty bruises from kicks and softball injuries, I am aware that pretty colors below the injury are common.

But, I did not expect that the top of my foot would be still bruised 6 weeks later, AND for my toes to still resemble Vienna sausages!

I have had a pulled quad muscle color my leg pretty all the way to the ankle, so it's not necessarily unusual.

Many many jingles you are well soon.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Sobriska, I feel your pain almost literally. I'm so sorry about your injury. Perhaps we should start a Couch Club for those of us recovering from untoward experiences with gravity.

For those interested in gory details, I managed to fall off a horse I was walking up the drive resulting in a dislocated and fractured head of a femur and heck of a concussion (still can't remember about 36 hours). Now recovering from a partial hip replacement and post-concussion syndrome.

On the couch. Thanks Gott in Himmel for CoTH!

Jingles for everyone.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

WOW... Sobriska and Annie... I can only imagine! Your stories made me feel REALLY lucky, even when my knee is bothering me with the bruising. Hope you both get better quickly!!