The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default Jingle request -- got kicked

I misjudged tonight, spooked the mare and of course was in the wrong place at the wrong time... got kicked in the thigh. Been using ice off and on, 20 minutes at a time, for about 3 hours. No tylenol in the house, but took some calcium... and some arnica tablets. Going to bed... have it wrapped with a standing bandage and have some raw honey on it (can't hurt right?).

I'm supposed to show on Sunday at an unrecognized event about an hour away. Noble's Beginner Novice debut. Right now I'd give me a 30% chance of being ok enough. I'm NOT happy. He's been doing so well and I hate to disappoint people (the horse's owner, the friend who's also been working hard with Noble)... as well as just being a sucky way to miss a show. This would be the last event of hte season for us anyway... but definitely not how I want to go out. I know it's a long shot, but jingles would be appreciated.

And yes, I'm VERY thankful it's my thigh and not my hip or knee.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Jingles, those hurt. I still have a place on my thigh from a kick years ago.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Glad you didn't get hit on a joint or a bone! I've been kicked in the front side of my thigh before, it sucks!
    Jingles to you - hope you feel better soon!
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Yeah...I still have a spot on my thigh where I got kicked a year ago. If you have any Surpass that helped me a bit. Go get some Advil and keep up the icing.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't screw around--get some ibuprofen on board, 800mg three times daily with food if you don't have a reason to not use it. There isn't much else you can do than that and ice at first, but after 72 hours alternating ice and heat and starting to VERY GENTLY mobilize the area might help.
    Click here before you buy.

7 members found this post helpful.

Sending jingles from KY!

I still have a divot in my right thigh from my former mare, who kicked me back in 1996.

I hope that you feel up to your event, but remember that your well being comes first.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Lots of loud jingles, and update us when you can.

As another one who is "on the couch" from a horse injury, I wish you the patience to be a good patient and let the healing happen.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Seems to be minimal bruising this morning.... at least not as much as I expected. But there's a good amount of swelling, not just at the site of impact. There's a bit of swelling through the side of my thigh... not a ton, but enough to notice. I can walk, but obviously it hurts and I'm limping. I can stand on it. When standing, I can barely lift it 90 degrees.

I talked to XH last night (someone suggested "blood clots" and i got scared). Whatever else I feel about him and the situation between us, he's still an amazing paramedic and I trust his medical knowledge. So talking to him made me feel a bit better (and worse all at the same time, if that makes sense).

So, I'm going to get up, get a shower and get dressed. Then head to the barn. I WANT to go tomorrow, but more than my safety, baby pony doesn't deserve a bad ride. I know adrenaline will only help so much. Wouldn't be as worried if it was "just" dressage... but it's the jumping and galloping on XC over hills that wouldn't be fair if I can't give him a good ride.

Guess we'll see.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

Tell me you're going to get some ibuprofen before you head to the barn!

Sending jingles for quick healing, and I'm glad you're not in as much pain as you expected! I still have a dent in my thigh after a HARD kick at Poplar 2 years ago (horse reached through the bars a bit in the stalls and bit my pony in the tush while I was mucking. That HURT!) Be safe, and don't push it!

Went to the ER. In and out in less than an hour, including xrays! No bone damage. Currently waiting on my naproxen script to be filled. No weight for 2 days so i'm the "proud" owner of aa new pair of crutches. Have I mentioned how much I HATE crutches? Called and W from the event. :-( going home to a nap as soon as the script is ready. Wouldn't get up (except to feed) except that DSD's choir concert is tonight. Prob wont ride til next weekend...so no Blessing for me this year. Not a happy camper. :-( thankful its not worse, but still.

2 members found this post helpful.

Jingles for a speedy recovery and so glad to hear you erred on the side of caution and went to ER! We are so blessed to have the health care system here in the US (don't castigate me for saying this, anyone- it's my opinion and it's a free country! LOL!) THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER HORSE SHOW! They are a dime a dozen!!!!!! As my mother in law likes to say, "Your health is your wealth!"
    Count your blessings instead of your losses.

Sorry, that stinks. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Did the ER doc advise you to massage the area? I've been kicked in the thigh twice, and have hard lumps in the locations. I think massaging helps with circulation and with healing.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

Maryanne, no. She didnt' say anything about massage. But a massage therapist (via a friend) mentioned how to do some light massage on the area. Very light, always moving up. Been doing that.

Time to have coffee with the neighbor!

2 members found this post helpful.

Jingles....and get even somehow....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

RATS! I'm so sorry you have to miss the competition but I'm really glad you went to the dr. Take it easy!!
    You can't fix stupid.

Jingles. I've only caught a glancing blow off my tibia-thank the Lord. A full shot would have been uber bad. Powerful, these horses.

Default bruise

roughly 72 hours post-kick. My "favorite" part is that you can pretty clearly see the seam of my carhart coveralls running through the middle.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...24904390_n.jpg

My guess is that it's going to get darker before it gets better.