The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We have a wood burning hot water boiler with a rad that isnt installed into the furnace yet. So we have a pedistal fan behind it to heat a 2 story plus basement house! Works great. Keeps the basement where the dogs sleep at a toasty 75-80 the main floor is 72ish and the bedrooms upstairs are closer to 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    This time of year 70 at night and 74 during the day. I'd like it cooler, but the baby disagrees.

In the summer we do open window as much as possible until it starts to get to be 80 or so in the house, then we'll turn on the air and keep it around 76.
    We're like twins! Except my kid is 22 years older than yours Even at 70 at night, I burrow under a sheet, 3 blankets (one electric, not always on) and a summer-weight quilt (because it's new and I like it better than the one the cats tore up).

My apartment has high ceilings, so I use the ceiling fans constantly to circulate the air. The direction changes seasonally. I have to be careful because, as I am a delicate flower, I'm extremely sensitive to drafts. Too cold and my legs/feet will start cramping up. If I get cold, I have trouble warming up no matter what hot foods I consume. I loathe winter.

My 4 windows are also crap. My bedroom windows leak so badly that the temperature is nearly 10 degrees cooler than the other 2 rooms (it also has 2 outside walls and one unheated inside wall on the main stairwell AND a lack of insulation in the ceiling where the freaking squirrels keep getting in). The second bedroom (my "den") also leaks, but not as badly. I put up plastic on them every winter, which keeps my bedroom to the same temp as the rest of the apartment. Both rooms also have thermal curtains, which help keep the sun back in the summer as well.

I have to wrap the vent over my stove with foil and tape the edges down during winter because, by some fluke of construction, the external opening faces the prevailing winds to the point that the fan will spin with the breeze. I got video of it during Sandy, just before I sealed it for the winter.

I HATE being cold!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I don't have AC. Don't miss it, either. I'm always cold.

Nevertheless, for heating bill survival in my old, far-from-airtight house, it is set at 63 in the winter. Period. No up-down during the day - a tactic I learned in Minnesota, where I went to college. Like city driving vs. highway, it is all the start-stop and adjustments that really hit your efficiency on heating. So I touch the thermostat 2 times a year, fall and spring. I am uncomfortable, but I will not die (another lesson from Minnesota). By mid winter, I'm wearing four layers indoors. I have four blankets on the bed in winter, the top one of which is from the Alps somewhere. Military brother sent it to me, saying, "You have to have this. It's the heaviest blanket I've ever seen." Indeed it is. Several pounds worth. Marvelous in winter; even I can't take it in summer, so it goes into storage for the next winter.

Someday, with insulation and less budget necessity, I dream of keeping my house warmer. If I had my druthers, it would be at 80.

The car, on the other hand, is my personal oasis in the winter, the one place I can ramp it up as I wish without impacting efficiency of fuel consumption. Delightful.

60 right now. In the winter, 65 during the day, in the summer about 70, but 65 at night.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Living in California does have its perks: my heating/AC unit has been turned off for about a month, now, and will be off for a while yet. Same for springtime.

In general, though, we have the temp set for 78* during the summer and 65* in winter. Curtains, fans and judicious window opening can keep this house (it's pretty well insulated) comfortable even in 100*+ weather without using power. I wish the house were tilted just a little more to the south, though - it's positioned perfectly to catch the midsummer sun. Boo!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Our house (living room, my room, my sisters' room, and dining room) is 96 years old-no insulation and single pane windows. Its freezing! We have heat, but it just drains out quickly, during the winter, temps are in the high 50's. The other half of the house is new, and is quite a bit warmer-probably about 4-5 degrees warmer. In the (new) family room, we have an efficent space heater that warms the kitchen and family room to 70-and we wear down and vests everywhere else!

This is a tricky question! LOL!

In the winter, we keep our temp at 61F during the day and 59F at night. But! We have lots of passive solar, so the front of the house can get up to 68F during sunny winter days that aren't windy and are above maybe 22F.

We don't have central air so our summer temps are highly variable. We live at altitude, so our summer nights are generally cool to chilly. We open all the windows and put fans in them at night. Sometimes the house falls to the high 50s by morning. Once the outdoor temps start to rise, we close the windows and curtains to trap the cool air. Even when the temps get into the 90s, we're still cool - until maybe 3 p.m., when we turn on our little wall air conditioner and put fans around the house to move the air. We're usually able to keep the house at about 76-77F. When the temps fall at night we open up again.

But as global warming gets worse - and we are living in one of the areas most impacted - our nights aren't getting as cool and our days are getting hotter and hotter. So we may have to get central air. Both DH and I run our businesses from the house so we can't get too hot or we fall asleep!

Liz

I live in a hundred-year-old farmhouse. With a heat pump. So in summer we keep it between 80-82F and in winter 60-65F.

Although when the outdoor temps drop below freezing, the heat pump doesn't do us much good, so the indoor temp may drop into the upper fifties. Doesn't bother me - I figure that's why God created long underwear and sweaters. DH though will probably convince me to put in gas heat or at least some gas logs before much longer

69 in the winter and 75 in the summer.

I live in the North east. In the winter, I keep the house around 60-65. It's winter. I'm not going to be in a t-shirt in my house in winter. My kids hate it, but tough. I tell them to wear sweaters. We do use the fireplaces at night when reading/watching TV, so we don't get cold.
    In the summer it gets much higher, especially upstairs, while the basement and 1st floor stay somewhat cooler. We don't have, and won't use A/C , and those New England summers can get hot and humid. And bug-y. (blech).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

66 in the winter, down to 63 overnight ....summer is 76. Central HVAC/heat pump/in Alabama.

I like it around 65 if possible. Colder for sleeping if possible! I open my window at night in the winter.

Husband and kids like it a little warmer. I just hate being hot!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

No cool air here, so in the summer the fan runs and we have box fans in the windows. It can get miserable, up into the 90s in the house due to southern exposure and LOTS of windows.

Winter time, I prefer 68 and sweats, but DH prefers 72 as he claims that's "room temperature." So we compromise on 70. Even so, on sunny days it will get warmer, so that helps with the bills. We're on gas, I think the highest has been just under $200 for the month?? Electricity bill doesn't change much year round, usually $50.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Summers 82, night and day. Sometimes down to 80-ish if I'm working hard/hot. Winter, 70 days/ 67-68 nights. And I have a heated mattress pad. I live in the desert and am probably a reptile.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!