The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Temperature in your house?

Curious where others keep it? Does it vary fro winter to summer?

Its a great debate in our house, I'd love to have it at 60 to sleep year round but hubby not so much!!! Granted we are lucky and have two heat pumps one upstairs in the bedroom and one downstairs... We keep the downstairs unit about 70....

A great thing we got was programmable thermostats, our bills went down considerably when we installed them!

This time of year 70 at night and 74 during the day. I'd like it cooler, but the baby disagrees.

In the summer we do open window as much as possible until it starts to get to be 80 or so in the house, then we'll turn on the air and keep it around 76.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Ours is usually 68-71. 71 right now because I was freeeeezing earlier.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Our house is 225 years old and let's just say, not air tight! We keep the house around 55 at night in the winter and around 62 during the day. If we didn't the fuel bills would be even more horrendous than they already are.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Usually it is set at 58 at night and 68 during the day, if we are home, otherwise the heat pump is programmed for 60 for the dogs during the day. We also have a wood-burning insert with a fan, so when it finally gets cold enough here, we'll have that going, instead of our heat pump. I leave a window open in the bedroom nearly year round--love a cold room for sleeping.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Smf...ouch on old house heating bills! Lack of insulation definitely impacts heating bills. . We have programmable thermostats too. Definitely helps! In winter the overnight temps are 62 both regions. 5:30 am the temp rises to 70 so when we get out of bed the house is warmer. After 8 am the main rooms temp drop to 65 and bedrooms down to 62. 4 pm both rise to 68 until cool down to 62 again at 10 pm. If I have a hotflash in winter, I step outside. In summer the AC has seperate thermostat and during some hotflashes I can't get it cold enough, lol! But normally temp set between 70-72.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Our thermostat is set at 68, but it's positioned in the warmest part of our house. So the three rooms closest to the front of the house are about 68, but the middle section is actually ~64, and the back of the house is even cooler.

When I was a kid, my mom kept the house at 58 when we were home. If company was coming over, she'd turn it up to 60. When DH and I were first married, I set the thermostat the same way, but DH rebelled. And now that I have Fibro, I just can't tolerate the cold like I used to, so I don't fight it.

ETA: This is just heat. No air conditioning around here.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I had the thermostat on 69 this summer due to hot flashes. Normally 74. Windows open now at night until it gets to freezing or below. Was close to 32 degrees the other night and I just shut the windows. No heat turned on yet.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

We don't have central air, so we're at the mercy of fans in the summer, except the bedroom which has an AC unit. In winter, the thermostat (in the living room) is set at 62, but upstairs it's usually a couple degrees cooler.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

68 in the winter, 74 in the summer. Open windows spring and fall. The house is pretty new and very well insulated
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Mine is on 55 overnight and while I'm gone. 62-65 when I'm home. It's a rare day when it hits 68. My one splurge was the Nest thermostat so that I can lay in bed with my smart phone and turn the heat up before I get out of bed (where I have a low-voltage heated mattress pad). I can also turn the heat up from my smart phone when I leave the office so that the house is warm by the time I get home. I can also turn the heat down from anywhere just in case I forgot to do so before I left... So worth the $250 investment.

68 during the summer, 71 during the winter
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Generally 65-68 year round. I'm a pretty warmblooded person so I like it cool. Sometimes I'll turn the heat off and open in the windows at night (in winter, in Colorado). I love being able to snuggle under warm blankets.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Ours is set in the low 60s in winter, but we also have a wood stove that we use a lot when it gets cold enough. That thing makes the house (huge house, not some tiny apartment!) HOT such that we're either roasting or opening windows a bit.

Summer, I forget already lol. I think the AC is set around 85 unless its unbearably sticky then it'll go a little lower.

During the summer it's at 74 at night and varies 74-76 during the day.

Winter we keep it at 68.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

We keep the downstairs in the 50s at night, Mr. Minion usually gets up first and turns in up so he doesn't have to listen to my weenie self complain that it's too cold. Upstairs we try to keep around 70 for the baby. We keep the summer quilt on our bed year round now, and crack the window. DH is a FURNACE when he sleeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

We don't have air conditioning, so we only control the temperature when it is heating season. We have a programmable thermostat...it is set for 65 when we are usually home and awake and 60 when we are not home or are likely to be asleep asleep. It's New England, we all own sweaters . I'd keep it even cooler, but DH wouldn't go for it.

In the Winter it's set at 65 continually. I have a very old house, parts of which date back to the 1860's, and the central heating doesn't work well at all upstairs. That means that if it is 65 downstairs, it varies from 62 to 55 upstairs, depending on how cold it is outside. I also have a low voltage heated mattress pad so the low temperatures don't bother me upstairs.

In the Summer, I have the central air set at 80 during the day. At night, I gradually move it down to 74 because I sleep downstairs then, to avoid the cloying heat upstairs where the central air doesn't work so well. I simply cannot sleep when I'm too warm.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

My home is insulated to the enth degree as well as passive solar. That means I open the curtains in the winter for the sun to come in(when we get sun) and quite often I don't need to change the thermostat at all by the time I come in from the barn.

Come summer it's just the reverse-curtains closed during the day and open at night. Windows open in summer about 5 PM except on the west side of the house and if there is any breeze at all, the house will cool off immediately.

IF I have to use AC in the summer, I do set it at 76 and leave it there and usually then sleep in the lower level. I have a raised ranch where it's about 8 degrees cooler in the summer in the lower level.

In the winter, during the day I set the temp at 67-69. Lower it about 6 PM to 62-64 and by morning it usually reaches that.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

We keep ours at 67 in the Winter and 74 in the Summer.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!