The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'll enable you too. I currently have a shredded meniscus along with a slight MCL tear and a whole host of other issues in my knee. I went to the Dr and she told me NOT to have surgery because I have had surgery on the same knee for a meniscus tear. I keep it wrapped in an ace bandage, take the anti inflammatories she gave me and ice is my best friend. It has been about 2 months now and I finally got on my horse for about 20 mins. I have started to ride my bike so I can kinda rehab it and make the muscles around it strong again. It's getting better but still feels a bit wonky. My suggestion to you is to get it looked at and if you need surgery then ask if you can put it off for a bit.

Update: Went to the ER today to get it looked at since it's getting worse and worse. The doctors who checked me out didn't think it was the meniscus, but did think I tore my ACL. Sigh... so I have an MRI on Wednesday to see how bad that is, and I'm in a kind of hokey-looking brace in the meantime.

Bummer - I tore mine in the 80's and my son tore his last year. Same scenario - about 9 mo. rehab until "normal". We both had a hamstring tendon replacement. In general, we both are doing well. Since I'm in my 50's (barely), I do feel stiff and sore in mine sometimes - mostly if I go jogging or ride for over 2 hours - other than that, I think I made out pretty well. Good luck and PM me if I can be of any help or info. BTW - a Game Ready machine really helped my son's recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Update: Went to the ER today to get it looked at since it's getting worse and worse. The doctors who checked me out didn't think it was the meniscus, but did think I tore my ACL. Sigh... so I have an MRI on Wednesday to see how bad that is, and I'm in a kind of hokey-looking brace in the meantime.
    Ohhhhhhh noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear this! My sympathies! I have an MRI on my foot on Thursday, so we can MRI together, in spirit!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Oh no

Fingers crossed it is not torn. If you want an overhead/second opinion on the MRI... you know where to send it. Sending hugs!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I tore my ACL a few years ago, and I've had many random injuries and a few surgeries, and it was the WORST. My best advice is to do what the docs and physical therapists tell you, it's a tough recovery. It took a while, but I've been back to 100% for a while now, and am actually faster and fitter than ever, but it was a long and painful road. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you will do great!

Good luck! I hope that's not it, but with a pop and instant swelling, not terribly surprised.

Do your PT if you really do needing an ACL reconstruction!!! Do it right!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

No worries, I just went through the whole surgery-recovery-PT bit earlier this year for my shoulder, I'm VERY good about PT when I have it.

Also, anyone want to offer tips for crutches and stairs? I live on the top floor of a building with no elevators. I've been just walking up the stairs (slowly!) without the crutches because I'm concerned I'll wipe out.

They should show you how to use the crutches on stairs before they send you home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtFiMMl6laU Pretty good video. The steps part starts at about 3:40.

Eee. That stinks! Sorry to hear it.

Good luck with the MRI tomorrow.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

yikes, I would mention the recent shoulder issues when it comes to crutches, maybe some of the ergonomic designs might be a bit kinder on your other formerly injured bits.

I say that because I was ordered to be non weight bearing for a few days pending an emergency MRI for something I had been ignoring with some dedication for about 5 weeks... then casually mentioned it to the hand doc in the middle of treating my elbow... (if you ever want to see confusion, have the x-ray/crutches orders come from the arm side of the building). Anyway, I learned in about 2 hours that there was no way my elbow tolerated the use of crutches. So being the compliant(ish) patient I am, I promptly went down to 1 crutch. I decided that was not so much a 50% decrease in crutches ordered to be used, but actually a 100% increase in crutches actually used since the time of injury, so that made me compliant.

But in my case, it was just an abundance of caution and it wasn't really a fracture of the femoral head and more like a big ass bruise/seroma/hematoma on my ass. Or in my ass, as the case may be. Yours sounds more serious and good crutches may be critical!

On a side note, I'm headed into sx later this month for said elbow, so I feel your upcoming pain, I really, really do. And damn it, when somebody asked what did I do to my elbow the answer is "nothing, absolutely nothing" No injury, no specific traumatic event, nothing at all except breathing and getting old, apparently.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

^My shoulder surgery was in January - I am able to crutch around without any issues on my shoulder. I've been practicing in my apartment (which has a step in it to get down into the living room, so practicing stairs). I did mention to the doctors who saw me yesterday that I had shoulder surgery earlier this year, no worries

Oh no! Get better soon Lots of ice and rest!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Anyone have crutches survival tips? I am working on padding the tops so I don't get bruises, but my arms are getting pretty tired crutching around campus (I go to a BIG school!). Other than continuing to do it until I'm all muscled up like the Hulk, minus the temper and the whole growing/shredding my clothes when I'm angry, are there any tips? Thanks in advance!

Heading down for my MRI in about an hour, so hopefully that doesn't show a tear.

Don't stand and lean your armpits on the crutches. It cuts off circulation and can injure the nerves.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Oh, poop! Sorry to hear that, but I've been there and got the cute T-shirt to prove it!. Crutches suck--you will get callouses on your ribs shortly, and be super sore and miserable in the meanwhile. Make sure they fit you--they should not be in your armpits, you bear weight on them only with your hands on the grips, so they should be about 2-3 inches below your pits. Your tummy muscles will also be sore, from swinging your weight along.

Can you drive on campus instead? I'd bet your could get a temporary handicap sticker for a vehicle. Can someone wheelchair you for the most distant classes, like a friend or fellow student? Wheelchairs can be rented pretty cheaply.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

^It's a little tough with the way my campus is set up - we're actually in 2 cities (Minneapolis and St Paul) and have our own bus system to connect the various sides of campus; technically we have the West Bank side, which is on the west bank of the Mississippi River, the East Bank side (self explanatory after the WB remark), and the St Paul side. I can get a parking permit for any of the 3 sides, but it does not mean that I can park on any of them aside from the one I have a permit for. Plus we have construction going right through the heart of campus for a train line... it's a mess. I'm going to call Parking and Transportation and see what they suggest.

I am getting a little faster on my crutches, but I'm worried that I'm going to slip and hit the concrete at least a few times once we start getting snow and ice.
    Last edited by supershorty628; Nov. 7, 2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

I spent several months on crutches (end of September until the end of the year, IIRC), and second those that said they should not be in your armpits.

I was in high school at the time (BIG school!) and got to be pretty crutch-savvy and very fast!

Can you get out of your classes 5 or 10 minutes early if they are back to back? That way you aren't hustling and having an accident due to that. In regards to ice/snow, my mom found me crutch tips with little ice studs in them. Someone handy could probably do the same using tiny screws or something. Maybe even make something up like the sandpaper grip stirrup pads? Really, you just have to take your time.

Hope you heal up faster than anticipated.

MRI results indicate that I tore the medial and lateral menisci at both the junction of the body and the posterior horns. Oops.

On the bright side, there's no ACL involvement!

That's actually really good news!!! Best wishes on a speed recovery!