The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm pretty sure my show tomorrow is going to be a disaster....

So I haven't done a show in over seven years. And that one shouldn't even count because I was so sick I couldn't remember my course and I ended up scratching the rest of my classes when it became apparent I shouldn't have tried to make that show happen. We have trailered out for group trail ride and beach rides a couple of times though. And I used to do local shows regularly and would place and do okay.

I'm doing a local Hunter/Jumper schooling show tomorrow. Practice at the barn was going well and I felt confident about at least not making a fool of myself.

I went today to school at the show grounds and it was not good. My mare was very concerned about everything and was calling out constantly. (She's 14 and this it maybe her 10th show). Her head was high and she was very snorty. I felt like "that horse and rider". She's half-saddlebred so it's a bit natural for her to carry herself like that, but I felt like I was riding a saddleseat warm-up. She's completely capable of going around like a normal hunter horse and lately she's been so good at the barn. After lunging and schooling she did calm down some, but not a lot.

I'm not really asking for advice. I'm just telling a story. If tomorrow I don't fall off, remember my course and don't have a refusal I will consider the whole thing a success. I'm just somewhat disappointed because I was hoping for more.

I will post back tomorrow night with how it went.

Try not to stress! I am always "that girl" but just remember - chin up, boobs to the sky, and have fun!

We have ALL been "that" person at some point! Most people are going to be too concerned about themselves to be focusing for any length of time on someone else anyways.

If at all possible, I recommend an early morning hack. Like, ride her as the sun is coming up to get a feel of which side of the stall she woke up on. If she has calmed down, do about the amount you would do at home during a light flat session. If she is still wired, this is your chance to work her down - a sweaty saddle pad can do wonders. You don't need to jump but get her on your aids - lots of transitions, circles, changes of direction, etc, etc. Don't stop until you feel her take that deep breath that she's done. If she has enough energy to be fresh, she has enough energy to work.

After your ride, let her chill in her stall/by the trailer to eat some hay. If you have time and she's had time to pee/chill out alone, hang out by the ring you'll be showing in - either hand graze by the perimeter or find a place near (but not in the middle of!) the in-gate action to have her hang out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I made my return to the show ring after a decade earlier this year and it was simultaneously terrifying and so much fun.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure you'll be fine! Just have fun and don't stress.

I agree about riding early. The more you can get her comfortable with the environment there, the better she will be. If you are nervous too, she will pick that up. I learned from taking my horse to his first show away from the barn a couple of weeks ago. You can fake them out by pretending to be very confident. My horse fell for it and did really well with not letting things bother him. Try to relax and enjoy yourself. It is great that you are going!

Don't stress out about it! My horse is sort of like that on the first day too! The first day he's always HORRID. I don't even bother riding him, my trainer just schools him in most of the rings and then I show him around the grounds. I think he's just one of those that doesn't like a new place because the second day he is BAM a totally different horse. He's saintly and acts like he's lived at the show grounds his entire life.

When I'm "That Girl" I do it in a big way... they usually talk about it for several shows... People still talk about the rodeo my horse gave me three years ago! Remember to breathe, you'll be fine. Besides a bad warm-up always leads to a good show.

My first show ever was last spring on my 22 year old mare. Thought it would be a piece of cake. She was a "been there, done that" type of horse.

As soon as we went into the arena she started the giraffe-neck, calling to all her friends, trotting in place, and screaming like she was in season. I was a nervous wreck. We managed to get it together and do our course.

The second round she refused to go into the arena. I had to be led, as she kept going backwards! After the flat class, she wouldn't stand still in the line-up. Somehow we placed as reserve champion. When I went to get my ribbon she planted her feet and refused to move. At all. My trainer eventually had to come get us and lead me out like we were in a lead-line class.

People were laughing...I was so mortified. But, all in all we had a great, and I look back on that day as one of the most fun experiences of my life. Makes for great stories.

Try and get there early to school and lunge. Get the kinks worked out before you start the class. And remember to have fun!! Good or bad, you are making memories.

I hope you have a wonderful show. Please post back!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

*hugs* We've ALL been *that* rider or ridden *that* horse. My now btdt mare STILL does that when she's in a mood! I just laugh now, ride the best round I can put in, and try and remember that today is MY turn, next time it'll be someone else's turn, and the world goes on.

Hack and lunge the kinks out, smile, and remember, this is a starting place! You've got lots ahead of you!

Default Back with an update...

I appreciate all the comments left. I read some last night and it made me feel better. I was really nervous and was thinking maybe I wasn't prepared enough to to do this event.

Just got done napping, which I have to do after every show and I have my results from the show.

I started off the morning lunging. Seemed to be going normaly until I went to change directions. My mare completely forget how to lunge to the right. Wonderful. (Also random note, I had an English saddlepad I've been saving to use for a show that was a Christmas gift from a family member. Turned out to be too small but it was all I had so that what I used.)

My trainer had a bunch of younger kids to work with so after she had me walk my course, I got left in the Jumper ring to walk and trot around. My mare wasn't nearly as wired as she was the day before but we still stood out from the calmer horses. The ring steward was being unpleasant yelling that if she didn't get a horse to go in the next five minute she was moving on to the next class. But I was told to wait for my trainer to come back before I did my jumping warmups. Luckily it turned out to be all bark and no bite because it took like 30 minutes for my trainer to return do to her ring conflicts. I really like my trainer, she's so positive and made me feel a lot more confident.

My first time around the Jumper ring (2'6") I had two refusals. After three you would be excused so at least that didn't happen. I didn't have to do the jump off. My second time around was much better and we went clean. I don't think I placed, and I didn't stay to find out. I can't tell how many entries there were... maybe ten? I was definitely not the worst team there which I don't necessarily take pleasure in, but does make me feel better.

After Jumpers I had 2'9" Adult Hunter. I opted not to do the flat class. There were seven entries

My first go I knocked a rail down. My second go I went clean. I ended up getting 6th place out of the seven riders. I think the rider that didn't place forgot their course.

I have videos that I'm sharing. I'm open to constructive criticism but please keep in mind that I don't get to ride/practice very often due to work and I just really wanted to do a show. I know I have a lot to work on. I know I need to fold at the hip more and not come back so soon. I also can't get my flying changes right now and my plan was to land on the correct leads but after my mare being so worked up I just forgot about it and ended up doing simple changes.

First Jumper (not a good video): http://youtu.be/9JmcWSq89NM

Second Jumper Round: http://youtu.be/Dr7El8-Z7k0

First Hunter Round: http://youtu.be/xYL8q4QRVvg

Second Hunter Round: http://youtu.be/ZJaMCCTQjh0

In closing I am really glad I did this show. My mare was much better the second day compared to schooling. I know I have a lot to work on but I love jumping and I love my girl even though she's not a fancy hunter horse. (I heard someone call her the little chestnut in the practice arena). My biggest goals were to remember my course and not fall off so I succeeded at that

Thanks for all the encouraging posts

So I watched your videos. Being that I am an OEF judge, I generally do not comment on topics such as this; but this one I will.
    Agreed, there is some work to do. But, seriously??? Your were worried for no reason!!!! Based on your first post, you should be more than happy with your rounds. I can honestly say I have seen so much worse- and on many occasions!!!
    Congrats for completing the day safely, and progressing well with each class.

We all like to get those pretty ribbons, but we often forget that our darling horses act completely different when we are away at a show...I won't even start to discuss how we ride differently while under the pressure of show, lol. I am sure this was a great learning experience for both of you.
    Last edited by ZACH1234; Nov. 4, 2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: (missed word)

3 members found this post helpful.

I watched your videos, you looked good.

I will have to say that you are very lucky that your ring steward held the ring (and essentially the entire show and every rider that was waiting on their division) up for your trainer for 30 minutes. She did not have to do that and you might not be so lucky the next time. I understand that trainers have conflicts and that you felt more confident being warmed up by your trainer, but not all shows are willing to hold the show up for trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZACH1234 View Post
    So I watched your videos. Being that I am an OEF judge, I generally do not comment on topics such as this; but this one I will.
    Agreed, there is some work to do. But, seriously??? Your were worried for no reason!!!! Based on your first post, you should be more than happy with your rounds. I can honestly say I have seen so much worse- and on many occasions!!!
    Congrats for completing the day safely, and progressing well with each class.
    Her go in the videos does not reflect how her behavior was on day one. Once we got in line to wait the classes she was MUCH calmer. I know it maybe sounds like I was worried for nothing but even my trainer was worried based on day one and commented on how much better she was the second day.

Thanks for your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post

I will have to say that you are very lucky that your ring steward held the ring (and essentially the entire show and every rider that was waiting on their division) up for your trainer for 30 minutes. She did not have to do that and you might not be so lucky the next time. I understand that trainers have conflicts and that you felt more confident being warmed up by your trainer, but not all shows are willing to hold the show up for trainers.
    She wasn't just holding the ring for me. Nobody in the class was there on time and the few that were (including me) were not ready to go. After ten minutes the other riders showed up and the ring was going along. I would never expect the steward to have held the ring up for 30 minutes.

Your mare is very cute! Once she gets lead changes and you feel comfortable hunting her up the lines a little, I see no reason why she couldnt be a winning local horse! Good job!!

Congratulations on showing! My comment is " let her roll". Soo much easier said than done!! Sometimes it seemed in the hunter videos perhaps you were holding her a tad much. But hey- there was some doubt in your mind and issues so GOOD FOR YOU!!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post

If other rings took priority over this one then it is not unusual for a ring to be held up for such a length of time. I have never been to a show (Gold Rated) where the low priority rings did not wait for trainers as long as the trainer was in touch with the ring and let them know what was happening.
    Good job on your rounds OP!

I was 'that horse and rider' earlier this year after a 10 year hiatus from the show ring. I was riding an 8 yr old OTTB who's last time off property was at the racetrack. I couldn't even get on her, she was spinning around me. She would.not.stand, at all even once I managed to get on her, and she was definitely looking for the racetrack. I warmed up for what seemed like forever, and she jumped around great for her first show. By the end of the season (7 shows) I could hop on her, warm up for 15 minutes and head into the ring.