The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Makeup

So, I'm really getting up there - second half of my 50's, and haven't worn makeup FOR YEARS - other than mascara, occasionally lipstick and blush. I have medium tone skin, but my arms and face tan easily.

Got wrinkles, getting many more, and having returned seriously to riding the past 14 months, I'm out in the sun more often. Use a moisturizer with a sunscreen, nevertheless my skin becomes more uneven when outside so much. Even in the cold months.

Of course being around the barn, and just working around the house, it's not practical to wear makeup. But I'm about to go back into the business world, and need to start looking more professional.

Am guessing the next thing is to step towards that dreaded section of the department store where the vultures are swirling with their bottles of amazing lotions. Bottom line is, I need to start wearing foundation, and makeup more often. I do have sensitive skin, so have to watch what I buy. Would also rather not buy the most expensive stuff on the shelves.

Recommendations?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

When you say uneven, do you mean coloration or the skin itself feels rough/uneven? I recommend you get samples from several counters so you can try them out on your sensitive skin before purchasing. You'll also be able to view it in several lights. Some counters may refuse, but it never hurts to ask. If I can't get a sample of foundation to test it for a few days, I won't purchase it.

Estee Lauder is a fairly popular choice with Double Wear and Double Wear Light. Dior also makes some nice ones. I can give recommendations all day long, but in the end the best way to decide is to try it out yourself since everyone's skin is so different.

I use bare minerals. Not in its powder form but I mix some coconut oil in with it and apply with a sponge. Fairly light is a good concealer and then little bit of sun on cheekbones, forehead etc. Sunscreen, moisturizer and makeup. Easy on the eye and budget.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I struggle with makeup too. I have really sensitive skin and my medication has caused these really nasty sun sores on my face. Out of embarrassment and desperation I needed to do something. I found that going to a store like Ulta and Sephora and being able to try things and get samples was a huge help for me to find what really worked for me and my skin. The key for me was finding an empathetic sales clerk that would take the time to help me. Going during non-peak sales time was pivotal to making sure my trips were successful. I use Makeup Forever HD Concealer and the Mat Velvet Foundation, but I need heavy coverage and have really oily skin.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Over 50 here

as well. Forget the fancy creams that cost 50 or more dollars.
    Think about it, if any of those things really worked whay are there so many??
    Use a good moisturized daily with sunscreen. A good one overnight. And I second the bare minerals! Great stuff.
    Look them up on the net, Get your basic starter set. You will love them.
    What I want to know is where my eyelashes went and what I can do to look like I have some.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Another vote for Bare Minerals - "Well Rested" works wonders around the eyes. Just doing a quick sweep over the lids and under
    the eyes really brightens up your whole face.

2 members found this post helpful.

I use Cover Girl Simply Ageless foundation. It's easy to apply, and you can apply it as heavy or light as you wish. I've always very sensitive skin, and this product has been great. http://www.covergirl.com/simplyagelessfoundation

No makeup advice, but for those who use Bare Minerals, you can get those products (like so many other things) So. Much. Cheaper. on eBay than at an Ulta or Bare Escentuals/Minerals store or website. I just looked for sellers with nice high positive feedback ratings and saved, if memory serves, around 40 percent (even factoring in shipping, which many sellers offer free).

Seriously, whatever you normally buy, do an eBay search and check out the listings for yourself. I'm not talking about just saving a dollar or two.

I am not your age, but my Mom is, and we love Bare Minerals. It feels so light on your skin, but offers a surprising amount of coverage. It does not "feel" like you are wearing makeup like liquid foundation and it is so easy to blend into your jaw line.

Thank you for the ebay tip Windsor!
    Handmade Cotton Fabric Dog Collars
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByJinx

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Great! Thanks for all the advice! Will be checking it all out!

In answer to your question, teacup, when I say 'uneven', I mean skin tone wise. Places where I used to just tan evenly now sometimes (actually usually!) get blotchy. And if I'm working hard, and I have a TON of work outside all the time in my yard/woods/fields, the sweat gets in my eyes and face. So even using a sunblock doesn't work.

Need to cover up and try to look pretty! (As well as professional.)

Maybe also in response to the discussions of 'no men', or how riding may be emasculating. (And I kind of miss the old wink...)
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I'm really sensitive to makeup and stopped wearing it except for special occasions. After a night out, my face would be bright red with burning and even some swelling.
    I discovered NARS recently and it is awesome. I used to get out of the shower with red blotches on my cheeks, but since I started using their skin care line, that has all gone away. They don't add any perfumes to any of their products, and they have beautiful colors. I love wearing makeup now. You can find it at Nordstrom.
    You are what you dare.

Go to Sephora, they look crazy but they don't inundate you with the perfumed crazy. I went there and loved it! I just told the gal that I was a tomboy and to take it easy and not freak me out. She laughed and offered sensible make-up with staying power and water proof stuff.

I do use Lancome face/eye cream but I do because I like it. I use goat milk soap and lotion for the rest of my body. I'm 41 and don't look it

http://goatmilkstuff.com/
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I use MaryKay's version of mineral makeup (ok mainly because I have too many friends who sell the stuff...), and I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin (as in I get issues from some of the "hypoallergenic" stuff), and I've liked it. I don't wear makeup often, to my coworkers chagrin, but I like the light coverage, and I don't really notice that its on, but when I have a breakout or other skin marks, it covers it really well without LOOKING (or feeling) like heavy makeup.

I use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen and then a mineral makeup on top of that. Gives a natural, matte type of finish instead of a heavy finish.

Hats are your friend. Cover your face!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Not over 50 here but...

I LOVE Bare Minerals, and the make up artists will not attack you, especially if you go in an actual store rather than Sephora or wherever.

With makeup I think it is worth spending the money for good quality products. I do not buy anything from drugstores simply because I do not trust my makeup knowledge enough to get what is right without assistance, lol.

I only wear make up for work, which is part time, and going out. For work its just primer from bare minerals, mascara, and bronzer. If I'm going out I'll use minimal eyeliner and a neutral eye shadow. I'm not artistic enough to go all out but I would LOVE to learn how to do a smokey eye and think I'm going to ask them next time I can justify buying eye shadow. I probably spend an average of $100 a year (if that) and thats mostly on mascara, so even buying good quality makeup you don't have to break the bank as long as you're not wearing it daily & caking it on.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Hi CVPeg, well you know how old I am and I do wear foundation to cover up my uneven skin tone. I use a liquid Estee Lauder that is pretty light and I put it on with a make-up sponge that you can find at the drug store. I have always spent more on foundation since it is suppose to be sheer and if I don't spend money on it , it looks chalky. I also wear eye liner, mascara and an eyebrow powder. I cannot tolerate anything on my lips, I drink water and coffee at the office. That's it for the office, if I need to ride later I skip the foundation and mascara.

Try some of the new BB Creams on the market. They sound like a lot of hype, but I have been very pleased with mine. (http://www.sephora.com/flexitone-bb-cream-P308605) I have very sensitive skin with a lot of freckles, uneven and constantly changing skin tone depending on weather, stress, diet, and usually some blemishes to cover. (I'm not as ogre-y as I make it sound, really!) Plus I have text book combination skin. I can wear this all day with a little bit of blush and I just feel more finished. Plus, you can throw a little foundation or spot concealer on top if you need.

I got it at Sephora. I have to 2nd Sephora. The store might seem a little intimidating - music, lights, ladies with lots of makeup - but they KNOW THEIR STUFF and will not stop until it is right for you. I must have tried 15 lipsticks last time I was there trying to find the right one.

I agree about BB creams, but I'm pale and they are usually in one shade that is too dark. And Sephora is a great place to get advice. In fact, I've had them sell me on a less expensive product than the one I came in to check out, which impressed me (maybe I'm too easily impressed )

So, I get darker patches, freckles, and other uneven tone problems. I really like Perricone's No Foundation Foundation because it's light, it looks really natural while giving good coverage, including lines (fine lines, at least). It really does blend well, apparently with any skin tone. It's not the cheapest, but a little goes a long way. I also like tinted moisturizers from Laura Mercier, but this is more natural-looking on me.

http://www.sephora.com/no-foundation-foundation-P238612

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Another vote for Bare Minerals - "Well Rested" works wonders around the eyes. Just doing a quick sweep over the lids and under
    the eyes really brightens up your whole face.
    I learned about Bare Minerals makeup here on COTH, and it sounds corny to say it, but it has changed my life! Well Rested is a great product. I can do all my make up in 3 minutes or less.

I took my 73 year old, super wrinkled mom to Bare Minerals and got her fixed up with makeup. She loves it and I'm pretty amazed at how it has diminished the appearance of her wrinkles, so much that people keep asking her what she's doing different.

Great skin care products are from Vivo Per Lei. I use the facial peeling gel and Day and Night moisturizer. You can buy these very cheap at Amazon. I swear by these products --- they have also changed my life. High quality and easy to use.

ETA: I was trying to quote a previous post and messed up....I was replying to the post about buying bare mineral knock offs....

Yeah, but they're just not the same. I don't know what the difference is per se, but I know that when I've run out of my Bare Minerals and bought the other stuff at the drug store, it's just not done the same thing.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...