The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SANDY. Help please

Hi all, We are hurting here in the Garden State and the Tri-State. Please give what you can. www.red cross.org

Mr. Lovey and I have 6 refugee dogs plus our 5 animals and no power. We have a generator, water, food and hot showers, but*we are the lucky ones.

If you can, please do. We will be forever grateful. Thanks.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

2 members found this post helpful.

This forum could have been used for Sandy victim aid and assistance. Instead we have bickered. I am ashamed.

Not too late. Never too late.

1 members found this post helpful.

We donated already and am very fortunate to not be on the receiving end of those donations.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    This forum could have been used for Sandy victim aid and assistance. Instead we have bickered. I am ashamed.
    There have been plenty of opportunities to give and I know that many have donated. Just because people don't trumpet it on COH doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have also donated. I grew up in coastal SC and we learned very early the dangers and potential devastation of storms. Luckily I was never in that position.

Bless all of the first responders out there in the thick of it. I can't be there to help, but I can send some money.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I wish catering trucks were not such a California thing because right now the flood areas need traveling restraunts more than the west coast does.
    They run independant of electricty, (the stoves are propane) and when you are wet cold and miserable a hot meal makes all the difference in the world.

To spite of their name "Roach Coach" They are actually cleaner than most resteraunts. They are parked at special parking lots at night and they are scrutinized very closely by the health departments.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I wish catering trucks were not such a California thing because right now the flood areas need traveling restraunts more than the west coast does.
    They are getting quite popular in my area, actually. There are many that have a typical area where they park, and a bunch of them just got together and had a catering truck festival the other week. I don't know if they have thought of heading over to help out or not but that's a good idea.

Please call them and ask if they are there.
    If I were Fema Director I would not overlook the local businesses and use them first and then use the national guard and FEMA second. (Of course pay them in a timely manner) If people need food- Pay catering trucks to deliver (and perhaps pull the FEMA strings to make sure they have food to deliver) If homes are flooded, contract with the hazardous waste, asbestos and mold, abatement companies (they know the local cleanup resources and who is capable of doing what)
    Katrina would not have been such a Browndoggel if I had been the Fema Director. It still would have been bad but not as bad.
    I have an entire slew of 'what I would have dones if I were in charge. One of the top would have been release guns & ammo to the best shot in the neighborhood perhaps it would have been only 1 gun per street but the looters would not have known who had it and a person who lived on the street would know who wasn't supposed to be there and first and formost I would tell him/her (probably would be a her actually) her what a catering truck looks like and they are really there to help you
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

fwiw i've been trying to fill my rig with food, water, pet food, diapers and clean clothes and have not had one single item donated!
    instead i've been scolded for thinking i could get close enough to make a difference.
    op tell me specifically what is needed and where i can bring it to and i will try again to make it happen.
    i do understand that me and my rig are not welcome on clogged roads, however i'm willing to get stuff as close as is feasible if it's helpful.

Suz. I have no way of getting specifics for you. My smartphone is now not letting me type, so I'm using DH's. We have only 2 basic tv channels and no other internet.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    fwiw i've been trying to fill my rig with food, water, pet food, diapers and clean clothes and have not had one single item donated!
    instead i've been scolded for thinking i could get close enough to make a difference.
    op tell me specifically what is needed and where i can bring it to and i will try again to make it happen.
    i do understand that me and my rig are not welcome on clogged roads, however i'm willing to get stuff as close as is feasible if it's helpful.

Suz, I just saw on NBC a segment on how to help. If you can go to the NBCchannel 4 website, they were talking about how individuals can help with supplies. Sounds like you can get to Staten Island fairly easily. Just head down the Turnpike and take a left at the Outerbridge Crossing. They mentioned baby wipes, blankets, warm clothes, everything.

Such a major disaster - my thoughts and prayers go out to you all, Many people that I work with have also been affected,

We donated last night during the benefit concert. Hopefully the outpouring from that will soon make it's way to those who need it.

They need money to buy what's needed. And they don't need outsiders (even helpful outsiders) getting in the way. Send the money to Salvation Army or Red Cross instead.

I would imagine, if you would offer to sponsor victims in shelters in your home, that would be helpful
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I just got back online with electric and heat last night. We are about 2 miles fom the central Coast Area (Asbury park) and if there is anything I can do Lovey, let me know. I have room for a well behaved dog or two, if you are with in a full-tank-round-trip of me or located outside of our gas rationing zone I am happy to help with whatever you or your friends may need that is within my ability to do or supply.

Suz - my niece from Boston announced she is getting a delivery together for Staten Island - although my sister and brother-in-law (her parents) have a house on LBI, and are still waiting to hear when they can go in. I may very well head to both. If my niece has determined the right channels to go through, and I hear any details for the same for NJ, I'll pass them along.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

another way to help, either via volunteering or donations.

http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/

(lots of useful info at that site and on their FB page
    https://www.facebook.com/OccupySandyReliefNyc )

OCCUPY SANDY RELIEF

Occupy Sandy is a coordinated relief effort to help distribute resources & volunteers to help neighborhoods and people affected by Hurricane Sandy. We are a coalition of people & organizations who are dedicated to implementing aid and establishing hubs for neighborhood resource distribution. Members of this coalition are from Occupy Wall Street, 350.org, recovers.org and interoccupy.net.

cvpeg that would be great. as of this moment i'm content to be on standby!

hosting someone in my home is a fab idea and i would in a heartbeat.
    however since i care for vulnerable adults in my home whomever comes to stay has to pass a federal background check first!