The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy where to look for a truck

I've been seriously looking for a truck for the past few months and I'm getting very frustrated that I can't find what I want/need. I'd prefer to get used since it'll save me money (lower monthly payment), but I've come to the conclusion that I may have to buy new to get what I want.

Here's my requirements: 2500 (prefer GMC or Chevy but open to Dodge), at least extended cab, gas engine (personal preference, easier to maintain in my opinion), 4.10 rear axle ratio, towing package with the integrated brake controller, and camper mirrors.

I've found quite a few potentials, but I lose them on the rear axle ratio. Ugh. I've been on Autotrader, Craigslist, and local dealer sites. Anyone have any other suggestions? TIA!
    Last edited by LadyNeon01; Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added another site I've looked at

What worked for me was actually going to a few dealerships and talking to the sales staff. Hit all the brands, because you never know what they'll get in on trade. I told them what I needed, my budget, etc. and got a call within a week from the Ford guy that my truck had just been traded in.

However, do be prepared for the men who will not take you seriously if since you're a woman. The one who got my business was not the man who said, "Why do you need a truck that big?" It was the man who asked, "Regular cab or extended?"
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Have you tried Ebay Motors?

I found mine on autotrader. It had only 14k miles on it & was a few years old, 2007, but just like new. Still smelled new. Buy of the century. I was very lucky. Dodge Diesel, dually, biggest rear end they have for a 1 ton. Fully loaded with extra airbags, leather, etc. Love it. Perfect color, white, also. I found it after looking for many months & it was actually in south FL at a mitsubishi dealership. Just took forever to find it. I looked everywhere & spent many hours on the internet until I saw the one I wanted at the right price.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi engine, 3.73 rear axle, and factory tow package. I would have also taken the Dodge Durango with similar stats (or 4.1 rear axle).

After months of pointless searching, I went to the local Dodge/Jeep dealer with a list. I told him that if he could find what I wanted in a 1-3 year old used car- I'd take it. It took him almost 4 weeks, but he did. It even had the options that were on my 'would like' list.

MeghanDACVA, thanks for the reminder about Ebay Motors. I haven't looked there in a while but probably should.

GypsyQ and joiedevie99, I was hoping to go to the dealership over the long weekend but somehow it just didn't happen. Hopefully this coming weekend!

Have you tried autotrader.com or cars.com? Also Craigslist--many independent type dealers post there as well as some regular ones.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Some good news. I finally heard back from the dealership I emailed last week. I gave them the complete list of needs/wants and hopefully they'll be able to find a truck. My SO had a really good experience with this particular dealership so I'm a bit hesitant to contact another one, but I'm also thinking that maybe I should just to see what they can do. What to do...

1 members found this post helpful.