The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have been very lucky to have traveled to almost all of our 50 states, including 5 Hawaiian Islands and Alaska. In Canada, I have been to British Columbia, Vancouver, Toronto and Quebec City, then off to Nova Scotia. I have been to Valle de Guadelupe, Mexico.

In the Carribean, I have been to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands.

In Europe, I have been to Austria, Germany, Brataslava, (when it was still part of the Soviet Union), Italy, Spain, Switzerland, France, England, Ireland and Wales. I have been to the Rock of Gilbraltar, the Island of Madiera and the Azores. I landed in Iceland for a re-fueling of the plane, but did not get to see anything but the airport.

We adopted our boys from Sao Paulo, Brasil. After living in Sao Paulo for five weeks, we finialized the adoption in Rio.

I have no desire to go to Africa, the Middle or Far East. Right now, I do not even want to go to Greece, although it had been on my list.

I would like to go back to Ireland. I would love to go to Australia and New Zealand. I want to see Scotland, too.

The Trans-atlantic cruise for which we just signed up to do in 2013, will knock Bermuda off of my "want to see list".
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post

Going on a safari should be on the top of everyone's bucket list. It was absolutely fantastic in every way.
    Definitely agree. I had the most amazing time ever on the 2 1/2 (1/2 because it was in a Game Park rather than a Reservation) Safari's i've been on....I went to a Game park just outside Cape Town, which was small but fun. I especially loved the elephants on that one. Then on an overland tour we went to Etosha in Namibia and Chobe in Botswana. Out of those 2 I probably liked Etosha the best because it was mainly grassland (i.e very low) so you could see for miles, whereas Chobe was a lot more varied. I also liked Etosha because we got to do it in our own truck with our own guides rather than in a golf cart like thingy with the park provided guides where the engine was so noisy you couldn't hear them. Our guides (Acacia Overland Holidays) were so much better! Highly recommended!

My next Safari is going to be either the Serengeti or Kruger. I still have to see a Leopard!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    My next Safari is going to be either the Serengeti or Kruger. I still have to see a Leopard!
    We missed out on the Leopard too. They're really difficult to find. Saw the rest of the Big 5 though. I spent a week in Tanzania with my sister, on a private safari- just our driver and us. Two nights on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater, two nights at Lake Manyara, a night in a fixed tent near a hippo pool, and another two nights at a lodge in the middle of the Serengeti. Lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, hippos, rhinos, hyenas, ostriches, monkeys etc. in every direction. We had lion cubs sitting in the shade of our truck, checking us out. We saw a cheetah take down an antelope right in front of us.

We spent a day in Nairobi on our way home, and went to the elephant orphanage to see the babies being bottle-fed. Also went to a giraffe preserve and hand-fed them, and we got to pet a cheetah in its enclosure at the zoo. They purr VERY loudly.

Most of the U.S. states - except Alaska and I soooo want to go there.

Honduras, Nicaragua, Belize, Mexico, Venezuela, Aruba, Bonaire, Cayman Islands, Puerto Rico, Roatan, Utila, Guanaja, England, Ireland, France, Canada

Have always wanted to do a horseback safari in Masailand in Kenya.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    We missed out on the Leopard too. They're really difficult to find.
    I saw one in the Serengeti. It was hilarious, we were just driving along when suddenly the drivers radio went crazy because a leopard's been spotted, and I swear every safari vehicle converged on the poor creature (I don't know how they converged because I have no idea how they can tell one dusty road from another, but they did).

But it was an awesome sight because the critter chose to lounge for a while on a dead/leafless tree, providing beautiful photo ops. It even stretched and changed branches before it finally got sick of being watched and went off somewhere.

Just, as in 7:19 p.m. last night got home from Hawaii, beautiful relaxing trip still in the 80's everyday but this is considered their off season so not as crowded.

Bahamas, not impressed, U.S. Virgin Islands on a cruise would love to go back and be able to stay for several days. Bermuda, also on a cruise but it stayed in port for 2 days, again would love to go back and stay for several days.

Never been to Europe, only places interested in would be England and Ireland I might be able to talk DH into one of those two places some day.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I love this thread!

Canada - driven across it more than once! BC to Ontario
    United States - Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, Hawaii and a few more...
    Europe - England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Greece and islands, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, and Portugal
    Mexico

And I'm leaving tomorrow (EEE!) for New Zealand, Australia and Fiji!

And definitely want to get to Galapagos Islands, Africa, and Costa Rica at some point

2 members found this post helpful.

Lived (outside U.S.):

France
    Russia
    India
    Australia

Visited:
    Most of the the U.S.
    Canada
    Mexico
    Belize
    Germany
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Czech Republic
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Greece
    Italy
    UK (Scotland and England)
    Ireland
    Thailand
    UAE (pretty much only Dubai)

I think that's everything.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I'm impressed with all the travelling so many of you have done!

I haven't been too far lately, with the farm, but luckily I travelled a lot in earlier days.

I'm a Canadian, and have been to all our provinces except Newfoundland.
    In the US, I have been to quite a few states, mostly NE. but also Hawaii
    Bermuda
    Antiqua
    Jamaica
    Bahamas
    Aruba
    Mexico

England (lived there)
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales

France (went to school)
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Germany
    Greece
    Austria
    Malta
    Tunisia
    Libya

Japan
    Hong Kong

When I travel, I often wonder if this is a place I could live.
    The UK is wonderful, I think it is a must-go to destination for all the history, culture.
    France
    Italy
    Greece

all my favourites.
    But the place I love most is Italy.

(sigh)
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Great thread!

USA- CA, NM, UT, NV, AZ, MT, TX, LA (home state), AK, FL, AL, CO, WY, DC, GA, MS, SC, NC, TN, KY, MT, MI, VA (lived for 5 years), WV, OH, PA (lived for 2 years), DE (currently living), NJ, NY, HI

Europe- France, Germany, Luxembourg, Greece (mom's family is from there, lots of cousins we still visit), England, Scotland

Central and South America- Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador

Antarctica (THE single most incredible trip of my life thus far)
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Love this thread!

Lived:
    Kenya (12 years)
    Spain (4 years)
    England (boarding school for 4 years)
    Connecticut
    Vermont

Worked:
    Sydney
    Tokyo
    Paris
    Milan
    London
    New York City
    Los Angeles

Visited:
    Sri Lanka
    Jordan
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Costa Rica
    Puerto Rico
    St. Lucia
    St. John
    Bahamas
    Rome/Tuscany
    Cologne, Germany
    Brussels
    Canada

I've been to the majority of US states, but not Alaska.

I'm afraid my wings have been clipped, though - developed a fear of flying about 20 years ago, so it takes a lot of effort to fly (big planes scare me, not the little ones).
    Last edited by Tommy's Girl; Nov. 8, 2012 at 09:11 PM.

How fun to see how well-travelled so many of you are.

I've been to:

Eleuthera (Bahamas)
    Finland
    Germany
    Ireland
    Russia
    Texas

Loved every moment of every place.

Been to all lower 48 states, a few places in Canada and Mexico.

My parents insisted we see our own country before we go abroad, and let me tell you, it's been an amazing experience. Even though we are all Americans, we have lots of fascinating cultures right here, and no need of a passport!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I love to travel, but I hate flying...with a fiery vengeance. So my long distance trips have not been as many as I would like them to be! But the places I've been:
    Mexico (enjoyed the experience, but not sure I'd go again)
    Spain (beautiful, beautiful, beautiful - loved Barcelona, I would not mind living here!)
    Sweden (have cousins here, and it is lovely - another place I wouldn't mind living)
    Canada (still haven't seen as much as I'd like to! I will be back...)
    And I've traveled stateside a bit, all up and down CA, OR, WA, ID (love Boise), some of AZ, NM, CO, NY, and HA.

There's really nowhere I wouldn't be up to going, and I want to explore as much as I can. A safari is definitely on the bucket list, and I want to explore all of Europe. North Africa and Asia are also enticing. Like I said, anywhere...just as long as I have my lorazepam on hand to make it through the flight.

Great thread, I'm trying to plan a trip after my graduation in May and this has really inspired me (not that I wasn't already dying to travel).

I've barely travelled within Canada, a bit within the States (Alaska, Hawaii, California and New York), as well as Mexico.
    But I've been to Europe three times. I've travelled a bunch in Italy (two different trips). Also did a week in Austria, though unfortunately I didn't get to hit most of the major cities. Did a few days in Paris, which wasn't nearly enough, and a week in Geneva, Switzerland.
    Spent an entire month travelling through Spain, which was just fantastic. And did a day trip to Morocco.

My next few on the to-do list are the Balkans, Northern/Eastern Europe, more time in Paris, then probably South America and who knows where else...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

Never made it yet to the USA West and I hear that, if there is only one place you need to see in your lifetime, Alaska is that, as it is beautiful in a grandiose way.
    Yes it's beautiful. My dad drove us out there from Southern Ontario in our RV. We were gone for 7 weeks.

My list:

Canada: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon

United States: hmm most states on the East coast, most southern states, Alaska, Grand Canyon area, Seattle area, Texas, Louisiana etc

Mexico (Playa del Carmen)

South Korea

China (Beijing)

I would love to vist: Japan, Egypt, Russia, Germany, Hungary (Eastern Europe) the UK, Ireland, Australia, Kenya, more of China

Really interesting to see where you all have been! And some of your lives sound truly glamorous!

In the US - have been to about 3/4 of the states. One of the best things I did was take a trip on Rte 66 with my XH and 7 year old son. Was that ever fun heading west with him! ...in his cowboy hat boots and chaps. (And before cars had video players and game consoles...)

Been a bit overseas, but so much was with absolutely the wrong person. XH who was/is a hypochondriac. Honest to god - can you imagine driving - instead of walking - down the Champs Elysees...and sitting in a car by the Pyramids? (I went inside the pyramids by myself.) So I have loads of places I'd like to see again with the right person/people!

In addition to the USA, Canada and Mexico, have been to:

The Caribbean
    England
    France
    The Netherlands
    Egypt
    Greece
    Bahrain (even watched horseracing on my 40th birthday!)
    layovers in Cyprus and Germany
    and lived several years in Saudi Arabia - even traveling right near the border with Yemen . And can I tell you a story about husbands not asking for directions?!?
    And even though it was a 3 hour ride to Dubai, did I ever get to go to the World Cup? No...

But, also had a year in Australia as an exchange student - that was outstanding! Only wish I could do it now - do they accept old exchange students? LOL
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My Dad's into boats, so most places are on the water for family trips.

Places visited by boat:
    Bahamas
    Bermuda
    Virgin Islands (British and US)
    Lesser Antilles (Antigua, Martinique, Dominica, Guadeloupe)
    Galapagos
    Mexico
    Canada (West Coast)
    British Isles (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Shetland Islands, Channel Islands)
    Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland)
    Australia (Sydney Olympics)

Visited by land:
    England
    Mexico
    Denmark
    Ecuador (on way to Galapagos)
    Netherlands
    Germany
    France
    Spain (and Majorca, Minorca by boat)
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Italy
    China
    Japan
    Hong Kong
    Thailand

Probably easier to list states I haven't gone to:
    AK, ID, IA, MN, WY, ND, SD, NM, MT, NE, KS
    Driven or flown through but never really visited : MD, DE, UT, SC, IL

My list includes:
    England/Scotland (mother lives there)
    Ireland
    Greece
    Germany
    Italy
    Tenerife (Canary Islands)
    Bahamas
    Honduras
    I recently began trying to join the Air Force... let me tell you trying to come up with EVERY trip I've taken outside the US (WITH the dates) was a task lol.

Did a great mother-daughter trip to Ireland with my Mom in '07.

Places I am just dying to go!

London
    Denmark
    And Canada--can't believe I've never been! Hoping to plan a camping trip with my SO sometime next summer..