The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jane Savoie Happy Horse - Reviews

After watching some of Jane's lessons on YouTube, I've become interested in the Happy Horse course. Has anyone gone through the modules and what did you think?

Thanks!

It's great. There are 21 +/- DVDs and 21+/- Audio Cd's as well as a workbook. It starts out very simple and takes you up the training scale from Intro to GP. I watched a few videos and then practiced them. When something was confusing, you go back to the DVD and watch again and sure enough there is the missing piece. I recently just rode with Jane and the program follows her teaching. A straight forward approach to going up the levels and through the training scale. I love how she also addresses problem areas. For example if you find your getting tension or if something isn't working there are explanations for it. She show's you common rider errors and how and why to fix them. I highly recommend it. I was going to sell mine but decided against it after going back and rewatching some of the DVD's. I realized that there was so much that I missed the first time.

2 members found this post helpful.

Fantastic! Very easy to understand and so well done.
    My student bought it when they first came out, and I have watched it several times. Totally worth the money!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another two thumbs up for Happy Horse! It completely transformed my understanding of how to ride and the way I communicate with my horse. IMO, no one holds a candle to Jane's teaching ability.
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~Arabian proverb

http://www.janakellam.com

Can someone explain in more detail how this program is structured? I looked at the website and see that the modules are organized by topic, and that they purport to answer a series of questions. I assume that each one offers some explanatory framework and then moves on to describe exercises one can use to develop the particular skills the module is centered on--is this right?

I think what I am unclear about is if each module leaves you with a "lesson plan" (or plans) to walk through with your horse in order to work towards developing a set of skills. When you engage with a particular module are you able to plan a set of rides based on that information? Then do you walk through the modules in more or less a linear way as your skills develop (returning to prior modules as needed)?

In short, how do you use the series--what is the process in taking it to the barn?

I hope these questions make sense--and thanks in advance for any insight!

Quote Originally Posted by HorseLoverJana View Post
    Another two thumbs up for Happy Horse! It completely transformed my understanding of how to ride and the way I communicate with my horse. IMO, no one holds a candle to Jane's teaching ability.

DITTO

I have seen bits & pieces of it & would love to have the series. I love anything by Jane b/c she explains every detail & includes so much that I think others omit. A lot of people are good riders/trainers, but she is a great teacher. She is someone that I would love to meet.

I also have a crush on her horse, Moshi. He sends me emails sometimes, as does her dog

She posts here occasionally, so maybe she will chime in & answer some of your questions.
    Last edited by Hippolyta; Nov. 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

I am surprised more people have not replied! I would LOVE to ride with Jane, or even audit a clinic sometime.
    And Moshi! What a fantastic horse!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I was able to ride with Jane as a demo rider during her Art of Teaching course and really liked how she explains things.

I still need to read through her book and study some of the things that i get confused with and I would love to have her DVD series.

I would be interested in a regular lesson with her as I think she would really hone in on things that my horse needs.

No worries! As a demo rider, you're going to be getting a "surprise" soon. It'll help you review some of the concepts we covered.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have this. What I like is the audio part the most. I downloaded the cds onto my ipod so I can listen to them in the barn. They are structured kind of like focus sessions - not really so much a lesson plan but a concept that you work on - so I guess you could make them into lessons - for example one session is mainly about the outside rein, another is about whoa and go etc Feel free to ask me anything you want to know I have the complete set (the book, audio cds and dvds) and love it! The same things are dealt with in all 3 formats but I tend to use the audio the most.

Oh and in answer to your question about are there exercises there kind of are as its like Jane is talking to you so its kind of interactive - so for example in the whoa and go session she says things like take you legs off your horse and see how long before he stops for example

The Happy Horse Course is "Jane in a box"! A wonderful reference that I go back to time and again. It really is money well spent. .

Thanks, High Ho Silver! Your examples are really helpful.

I am also considering buying this program. I am a re-rider (after 18 years out of the saddle!) and keeping a 5-year-old OTTB at home, with no formal riding arena. I've completed Level 1 Parelli groundwork (with a Parelli trainer coming out every couple weeks).

My mare had a wonderful re-education to become a riding horse. I want to do dressage! I take a weekly lesson elsewhere at a great barn on a great school horse, but I don't have a trailer and can't get a trainer reliably out to my place for weekly lessons. I think I would really enjoy the learning process of a program like Happy Horse. But the program costs more than my horse did (I know, I know, a free horse is the most expensive horse ...).

Has anyone worked through the entire program? How long did it take? How many days per week would you say you worked on it?

And I'm trying to understand the note on Jane's website about a 3-payment plan, but it doesn't state how that works.

Would love to hear more detailed experiences of others -- especially those with not a lot of horse experience (like myself).

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I too am a re-rider and have started taking lessons again however won't be able to do more than one a month. I clicked on the link someone posted in the connection thread to one of Jane's videos on YouTube and I was just amazed how much what she said made really clicked for me. I really like the way she explains things and can't wait to hear/read more from her!

Default Color me JEALOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Savoie View Post
    No worries! As a demo rider, you're going to be getting a "surprise" soon. It'll help you review some of the concepts we covered.
    Will you be offering a DVD of the course?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Hi, this is my first post - been lurking here FOREVER! I recently bought Jane's Happy Horse and had to jump in and add my 2 cents. I absolutely LOVE it. I've had some huge aha moments - I'll even go out on a limb and tell you one - Jane laughs and talks about novices thinking horses stay on the bit, well I did. Even after 4 years of lessons with an awesome instructor I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. When I mentioned it to my instructor her response was, "well, shame on me."

Jane is clear, concise and easy to understand. I've had the first 6 CD's in my car for about a month now and hear something new every time. I've watched the first 6 DVDs and am going thru the first couple trouble-shooting DVDs.

Lady is an OTTB and I am a re-rider. I bought her 7 years ago at 6, I was 50!. My first horse in over 25 years and I'd only started riding about a year before I got her. I'd never ridden dressage and the "lessons" I'd taken as a kid were...useless.

I would love to ride with Jane. I saw her at Equine Affair in OH last year, have her books and finally was able to get Happy Horse on eBay last month. Best money ever spent (except for Lady of course).

EcstaticLady: Thanks so much for posting! I was a barrel racer as a kid, and realize I didn't know ANYTHING about riding or about horses. I am simply in awe of the kind of bond I can develop with my horse when she is living right outside my backdoor. Now if only I could figure out how to build her topline, as just setting up cavaletti doesn't seem to be doing it. Hoping that I can grow into a competent rider who can help the horse build topline by simply riding her correctly. (sigh)

I ordered Happy Horse and eagerly await its arrival.

...I am considering blogging my journey with my girl, Gizmoe. Heck, it's my farm, I can mount video equipment wherever I want, right? Of course, every dollar I spend keeps me that much farther away from putting in my arena, and I'm determined to follow the USDF Under Foot book guidelines for a regulation size ring $$$$$.