The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just saw a nice story on my local news. A couple of people who were entered in the NYC marathon had already decided that rather than go to New York, they were going to run the 26.2 mile distance near here. They've invited anyone who is interested to join them, and they are sending any donations into the Red Cross for hurricane relief.

https://m.facebook.com/events/457461660970793/

2 members found this post helpful.

What a great idea- good for them and anyone who joins them/donates!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I just saw a nice story on my local news. A couple of people who were entered in the NYC marathon had already decided that rather than go to New York, they were going to run the 26.2 mile distance near here. They've invited anyone who is interested to join them, and they are sending any donations into the Red Cross for hurricane relief.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post

Nice! That's what my friend Julia is doing, too: http://www.wben.com/pages/14690119.p...entId=11758538 I'm going to join her for a lap, if I can make it that far...

The race starts in Staten Island. The route goes right through the devastated neighborhoods and continues to the other boroughs also severely hit. I'm very glad that Bloomberg yielded to pressure. To divert dozens of generators, water, portopottis and police for a race while thousands are cold, hungry, and homeless is incomprehensible. Shame on those runners voicing disappointment. Cheers to those runners sticking around to help.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I think if so many people hadn't objected they would have gone on with it. It's kinda a shame to wait until the last minute to cancel. Saw a news person asking about all the food and water set aside for the marathon and the race person had no idea.

I heard this morning that all the supplies - water, blankets, etc - are going to be donated to the recovery effort.

Also read that the outraged reaction of sanitation workers who were volunteering to work overtime on cleanup when they found themselves assigned to marathon preparation/support was a contributing factor to the cancellation.

Bloomberg must have thought he was related to King Canute if he thought the city could have pulled this off. Residents on devastated Staten Island, where the race was slated to begin, might just have thrown debris at some of the runners and the media if they had tried to run down damaged streets.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you remember, Mayor Bloomberg was a very successful businessman long before he ever got into politics. So I'm sure the idea of turning away the hundreds of millions of dollars brought in by the marathon was probably a very foreign concept for him, even with the humanitarian concerns.

It was certainly a lose/lose situation for him, since somebody would be upset either way. I hope the supplies and volunteers can be redirected to help with hurricane relief.

And for the people who are staying close to home and running locally to raise funds, hats off to them. I don't have any inclination whatsoever to run a marathon myself (understatement!), but I would gladly cheer on those people.

Hope they leave the generators there too.

I think that it was wise to cancel/postpone, but I really think it should've been done sooner. There are so many people that come in from all over the US and the world to run that marathon. I heard interviews from people who had flown in from Europe and now what? They are out a pretty pricey ticket and are adding to the congestion.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.