The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Icky icky cycles

I am having the worst period of my life, and my doctor says that since it has not occured over a 6 month time span-she is'nt worried?

I do know that many woman go through this on a regular/fairly regular basis-I feel your pain. However, this is very unusual for me, so I am a little uneasy.

Missed August period-not totally abnormal I have PCOS, so I am at times irregular.

September 23rd it started-normal. Then all hell broke loose. I was so convinced I was going to bleed to death-I called my doctor & a nurse friend. Both told me to quit freaking out-not at a crisis point yet.

4 days of changing even my pants every few hours it let up, to "normal for me" flow. Aside from the HEAVY bleeding, I also had huge clots not anything over 3 inches but still big.

Period ended, or so I thought. For the next 2 weeks I would periodically bleed enough to require hygiene products. The weird thing was the tissue. I have been passing clots and pieces of tissue this whole time. About half of them are not even bloody-just globs of tissue.

Any ideas?

Any chance you could have been pregnant? Many very early pregnancies end with spontaneous abortions/miscarriages that just seem to be very heavy weird periods.

That was my first thought.

Highly unlikely, as husband I do not have coordinating schedules-at all.

When this first started with the heavy bleeding, I ran to the store and picked up a test-as I thought perhaps the hormone levels would still be present if I had been. Nada.

On the other end of the spectrum... Could it be perimemopause? I'm 50 and my cycles can be weird. Some of the 40 yr old women I work wil have reported issues similar to yours. I work with an herbologist who tweeks my supplements when I start having "issues" so I've found that I don't have many of the menopausal symptoms commonly reported.

Either way, I wouldn't panic base on 1 cycle. Hormones can be easily put out of balance. I'd wait to see what the next month brings!

Track everything... by day, volume, pads/tampons used, etc. Take that to your GYN and discuss Endometrial Ablation (see other thread here on OTD for info).

I was you 7 years ago. Would have the period from He** for 8 - 9 days, go through an OB SuperPlus & a Pad every hour, horrible cramping and clots that'd choke a horse. Stop and start again 2 weeks later. Was also very anemic. I tracked it all and went to my doc. I grabbed her lapels after she read my chart and begged for a hysterectomy!

She said "Well, insurance won't pay for that unless we try Ablation first." She promised me a hysto if it failed.... it didn't. Best thing I ever did. Went without a period at all for 3 years and, even tho it's back, it lasts 4-5 days and only 2 maybe 3 pantyliners a day.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The fact you have PCOS is enough to make everything wacky since all the cysts on your ovaries can create mayhem as you well know. Because you have PCOS it is also rather unlikely you became pregnant, although it CAN happen even if you're not on regular treatment for your PCOS.

My concern, however, is that this started on SEPTEMBER 23rd and now it is November 2nd and you are still bleeding, even if it stopped (relatively speaking) for a couple weeks and now you're bleeding again. If you were my patient, after 6 weeks of bleeding, - - - an unusually very heavy flow followed by frequent spotting, followed by another period of heavy bleeding - - - - and the fact that this is a highly unusual and acutely NEW phenomenon for you, this is something I would want an OB-GYN to weigh in on, preferrably, a GYN who has a ton of experience with PCOS.

And while PCOS carries the high likelihood of not getting pregnant, since it is still possible and quite a number of PCOS patients are able to successfully get pregnant, carry to term and deliver healthy babies, a sudden change of bleeding is a red flag to me and I would want you having an ultrasound and possibly considering a D&C. Retained tissues from an early pregnancy gone wrong is what we call "retained products of a missed abortion" and these canNOT stay in your body. They must be removed, either naturally through a menstrual cycle, or if your body is not able to clear, then through a D&C.

Even if the sudden change in your period was not caused by a miscarriage, the fact you had this sudden change warrants a trip to the GYN so they can monitor you, and quite often I have found the GYN recommends a D&C which can sometimes settle things down from a bleeding perspective. I have found in some patients where a D&C did not work, then the GYN resorts to an ablation.

You need a second opinion from a doctor who has a ton of experience with PCOS, since your ovaries could be surging (hormonally) due to all the cysts and/or your age. Sometimes ovarian drilling is effective at dealing with some of the cysts if they're suspected to be the root of the problem. At the very least, you need some blood work drawn to check your hormone levels. As someone also mentioned above, do keep track of how often you have to change. If you are getting gushes where you are changing pads once an hour or every 2 hours, it's time for a trip to the ER for a check-up.

Just my 2 cents.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!