The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Improved Jumping

I’m having my 8 y/o American Quarter that has a marvelous jump. So I have a plan to ultimately competing with him, except he has a tendency to be lazy with his feet over poles and is fine over solid surface. I just wanted to know, is there anything should I do to make him more careful with his feet

This is going to sounds strange, but I remember just reading in another post that someone had a hunter that had been going great for a while and one day started knocking rails. They treated for ulcers and that solved the problem....

Otherwise, I'd say post this in the hunter/jumper sections. You'll probably get more training related responces there.

Do you mean he tends to be lazy with ground poles, but picks up his feet and pays attention over actual fences? If that's what you mean, my OTTB is the same! He doesn't "respect" poles and he is likely to trip on one, but if it's a solid gate he does just fine.

I know that pole work is important for training, but my guy does much better if I swap poles for X rails or small verticals.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY