The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RPSI stallion book

Can someone tell me how this works? A friend is looking at a stallion approved only by RPSI. He is 10 years old, and from what we can tell, has never done a stallion test. He does have a few scores at PSG, but they range from 57% to 63%, and are from several years ago - apparently hasn't shown since then.

So basically my question is - what are the RPSI performance requirements for Book I stallions? I can't find them on their website, and we are wondering why a 10 y/o stallion is still listed in book I with RPSI when he has not met what other German registries would consider full performance requirements. Someone told me that RPSI had reciprocity with its mother registry in Germany (RPS), but it seems this would be in violation of German breeding law. Or does the reciprocity only apply to horses that meet the full German requirements?

Double check with RPSI. A friend had inquired before about a stallion with them as she was looking at one of it's foals and found out that though the stallion is listed in book 2 it's paperwork isn't complete, he's not competing, never did the stallion testing, and none of the foals had been issued papers even though they'd been inspected and branded.

IMO it kinda sounds like a wishy washy registry if they go ahead and put stallions in their books and leave them there even though they don't complete their testing etc and they have several stallions the other registries won't approve for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by 216 Jumper View Post
    Double check with RPSI. A friend had inquired before about a stallion with them as she was looking at one of it's foals and found out that though the stallion is listed in book 2 it's paperwork isn't complete, he's not competing, never did the stallion testing, and none of the foals had been issued papers even though they'd been inspected and branded.

IMO it kinda sounds like a wishy washy registry if they go ahead and put stallions in their books and leave them there even though they don't complete their testing etc and they have several stallions the other registries won't approve for one reason or another.

http://www.rhpsi.com/stallions/stall...vevsrecord.asp

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by risingstarfarm View Post
    Thanks, Ronda! I didn't see that on the RPSI site. So according to this document - for 7 year old and older Stallions

• With appropriate inspection scores and appropriate PRIOR test and/or performance results, entered into Stud Book I
    ��To maintain Stud Book I licensing –
    o Return DNA & Veterinary Certificate within 30 days
    o Present documentation of proof of prior test and performance requirements at inspection (30-day test plus 5 or 6 year old performance results, 30 day test plus 70 day test, or older stallion performance results)

Performance Requirements for Older Stallions (over age 6)
    • DRESSAGE – ZZZ level / Prix St. Georges
    ��5 placings of 1st through 3rd with scores of 60% or higher at Prix St. Georges at a USDF sanctioned show

Stallion in question is 10 y/o. He has never done a performance test. He only has three scores of 60% or higher at PSG. He placed 2 of 3 one time, 6 of 6 one time, and 3 of 6 one time.

It appears he does not meet the requirements to maintain his Book I ranking. So I guess we are confused as to why he is still listed in Book I.

Quote Originally Posted by 216 Jumper View Post

That's why he's in Stallion Book II...because his performance requirements haven't been met. It's clearly stated on their website: http://www.rhpsi.com/stallions/stall...vevsrecord.asp

Taken directly from the RPSI website:
    "Stallions also may be placed in Stud Book II if they have not yet completed their 30-day test, and while waiting for the completion of their performance requirements. These stallions are eligible for upgrading to Stud Book I upon final completion of performance requirements.The word APPROVED should not be used or interpreted in any context with regard to stallions RECORDED in Stallion Book II."

I know what you're saying about incomplete paperwork though. That's a question I would take up with the RPSI.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry;6644941}
    Taken directly from the RPSI website:
    .The word APPROVED should not be used or interpreted in any context with regard to stallions RECORDED in Stallion Book II."

I know what you're saying about incomplete paperwork though. That's a question I would take up with the RPSI.

THANK YOU!!!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"