The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mattress that's like a Waterbed?

In the process of renovating our house (120+ years old) I gave up my beloved waterbed. (We got antique furniture for the bedroom -- including a lovely antique bed frame. There is no such thing as an antique waterbed. )

While I love our bed (frame, headboad, etc.), I have yet to find a truly comfortable mattress. My back and hips loved the waterbed -- our conventional mattress with a 3" memory foam topper just isn't the same. Our waterbed was the full-motion kind and we both like softer mattresses (as opposed to the firm type everyone else seems to want).

I've gone to a few mattress stores but nothing so far makes me say "ah...." like the waterbed did. My sister and BIL have a Select Comfort but it felt sort of "hammocky" to me (though the ability to adjust firmness was nice). I've thought about going the memory foam (Tempurpedic or similar) route but hate to spend the money if it doesn't feel any better than our current setup.

So does anyone have suggestions for a mattress that feels like a waterbed?

Thanks!
    Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

Don't have a suggestion for a mattress....but if that's what you're looking for, don't get a tempurpedic! My parents have one.....and they don't like it. My SO had one and we got rid of it......I don't know where the people are that it's helped/was comfortable for.....but I cringe to know how much money was spent on something so not comfy!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Look for a "soft sided" waterbed.
    It's a mattress so it can go with any bed, but the mattress zips open and the interior is filled with long baffles of water.

I have one...it ROCKS! Doesn't need to be heated like a waterbed, but if yoou like it heated you can heat it.

The baffles (there are 8 or 10) have marks on them for fill lines. The more you fill each one, the firmer the mattress is. You can customize it by side. The sides of the mattress are thick foam and there's a thin foam layer on the top. Or you can get a down layer on top, pillow top, etc.

It doesn't "wave" or slosh like a waterbed. Nobody would know it was a waterbed unless they lay down on it. It has zero pressure points.

It does come with it's own boxspring and frame, which is beefed up to hold the weight. My queen one weighs 800-900 lbs when full. But...you can move it around easily because you just unzip it and remove each baffle. And anyone can pick up a full baffle, it's about 50 lbs full and easy to grab and drag. No chemicals needed.

I bought mine 15-16 years ago, it was $900 back then. It's still like new and is in the guest room. Where I sleep most nights, LOL! Because I adore that mattress. Heck, when we have people over everyone fights over who gets that bed.

I hear ya on all other types of mattresses causing soreness. I have messed up shoulders. I can't even sleep on a Sleepnumber bed, the softest setting still hurts.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Look for a "soft sided" waterbed.
    It's a mattress so it can go with any bed, but the mattress zips open and the interior is filled with long baffles of water.
    YUP! Ex-boyfriend had one and it was just amazingly comfy. I had no idea it was a waterbed until he actually showed me.

And it didn't need any special frame....his mother was very into the Pottery Barn look and the bed was that sort of style. You could toss the mattress onto anything, basically.

Mmm, that bed was comfy!

Bump for the Monday morning crowd -- in case anyone has any more ideas after "sleeping on it."

So they now make soft-side waterbed mattresses that don't require special frames? Any ideas on the weight on these? I really love our bed (antique, art-deco, lovely maple) and want to find something that doesn't mean we have to use a boring, generic metal frame.

My only concern with going back to a waterbed (soft-side or otherwise) is that we moved to a bedroom at the opposite end of the house and there's a bit more "settling" at that end. I'm planning on adding some extra beams in the basement and doing some leveling, but that'll probably be next winter.

So I'll have to check into the latest developments with soft-side waterbed mattresses....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

ONE answer: The Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort.

Mr. C'Mare and I gave up our soft-sided king waterbed for a Select Comfort. Best money we ever spent!

Totally adjustable per side for each person, no more waking up with a "Oh honey, my nightgown is wet... we gotta leak," no more burping the bed or chemicals.

Get one!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Yup the air beds. I have a comfort aire one like select number but a bit cheaper and company been around longer just do not advertise. Differance between the 2 is select comfort declines and goes up in 5's mine goes up and down by 1's.

I had a water bed prior to this and OMGIH it was like sleeeeeeppppp.. Dont get me wong loved my water bed but got tired of shlepping it around and not being able to move room around.

Think I paid for a waterbed king size 800$ for it. that was including delivery, set up removal of very heavy waterbed mattress...
    Friend of bar .ka

Not to hijack the thread but have a question for ChocoMare and bumknees - how did you deal with no longer having a warm bed to crawl into in the wintertime? I would like to switch to the Select Comfort but the hubby tells me I'll miss the warmth of the waterbed.

Electric mattress pad.

Plug it into a timer that turns it on one hour before bed time. Then turn down or off once you crawl in
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Like Cocomares said heated mattess pad and well nice warm body snuggeling up against.
    Friend of bar .ka

Default Select Comfort

We LOVE ours. No waking up with any hip or back pain. Each person has their own setting and it's very lightweight. We would never go back to any other bed.

Anyone have a spring type mattress with a natural latex foam topper??

If so, how is the topper holding up?

The foam, tempurpedic, latex toppers can become quite warm.

We've had a 2" memory foam topper for a year and a half and neither SO nor I find it to be uncomfortably warm, even though I throw off a LOT of heat while I'm sleeping-- my temp often spikes by as much as 5 degrees while I'm asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    Anyone have a spring type mattress with a natural latex foam topper??

If so, how is the topper holding up?
    Meh. Great in the beginning but eventually the lumps of the underlying spring mattresses dip eventually comes back. Still, the foam is really comfy. I need a new underlying mattress. *sigh*

Shop on Overstock.com, we bought a wonderful 10 inch Memory Foam for a fraction of the cost in retail stores. I would do a search for the soft sided water bed too!

Shipping is only $1 for anything, it is now my favorite online shopping site!

Die-hard waterbed person here. Had a fling a couple of years ago with a guy whose Sleep Number bed left me in agony every morning, even with the softest setting and a foam topper. Best thing I ever did was to meet Mr. Right, who is so right that he adores my waterbed.

You can probably adapt the new headboard/footboard of your new bedroom suite to work with the bed you already know you love. Find a woodworking guy and see if it's possible.

I love our sleep number bed! We have a pillow top one. One of the coolest things is you can take ours completely apart and roll it up like a sleeping bag for storage! We use an electric blanket because we don't heat our house very warm.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products