The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by olivertwist96 View Post
    I second this. Also, I don't know many horses who could land in a trot off a 3 ft fence (the maximum height of a trot fence for horses per USEF rules).
    When it was desirable, it wasn't too hard to do. You know, practice, practice, practice. And it really showed that your horse was listening...In real fox hunting life, if you're trotting over a fence, you better be landing trotting. If you don't have room to canter in, you most likely don't have room to canter out, either.

(Please don't bother to tell me that show hunters is different. I know that. But there is a reason that a field hunter would need to be able to trot over a fence. And no one is out there measuring that it is 3' or less.)
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I have always been taught and done (in medal/ maclay/ big eq stuff) that you transition after the turn when you are straight with the jump! and i have never heard of having to land trotting, but that sounds very impressive!