The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

I loved Eccleston. I wish we had gotten episodes with him and the Master since Eccleston pulled off the Doctor with a single minded intensity that was scary to watch. Tennant is probably my favorite Doctor though. I'm not a huge fan of Matt Smith. I don't think its the actors fault, I just don't think the writing is as good. I don't know. None of Smith's episodes have really pulled me in. He just seems...a little lacking to me.

Rose will always be on of my favorite companions. I especially love her character development, her relationship with Mickey (with her getting annoyed by his cowardice) and any scene between the Doctor and Rose's mother were hilarious! Donna too.

LOVE JACK. Torchwood took a little bit of time to really get off the ground, imho. But once it did it was pretty good. Its the "adult" version of Doctor Who, with much more sex and fewer happy endings. Far fewer.

I'm ambivalent about the new companion. I loved Rory but wasn't the biggest Amy fan. I don't know. She and the 11th Doctor bored me. I can't even say what exactly it was...probably just the general writing.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I've been a Doctor Who fan since it was first aired in this country. Geekiest thing I've done who wise is while watching a Who marathon in 84 I went into labor. My husband and I waited until the marathon was over before going to the hospital. My daughter whose middle name is Leela was born 1/2 hour after we got there. I also had a horse named Gallifrey at the time.

My favorite Doctor is 10 then 2, 8 (loved the character not so happy with the movie), 4, 5, 9, 3, 1, 11, 6, 7. My favorite episode is Midnight but I think it would have been The Doctor's wife if it had been 10 and not 11. I've met Paul McGann and David Tennant. The former hugged me and kissed me on the head.

Favorite companion is Captain Jack. I loved the dynamic between those two. Not a fan of Rose, though Billy Piper did a great job with a character that RTD wrote as utterly selfish.

Doctor Who is my obsession on par with horses. I've even gotten into the fan fic realm (not the x rated stuff) and recieved a few awards.

That's me and Who in a nutshell
    "I am sorry, I lead a bit of a complex life, things don't always happen in the right order" The Doctor

1 members found this post helpful.

Fun adventure calendar here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p011...-calendar-2012

View at your own risk. I don't consider previews to be "spoilers"
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I'd love to see James Corden as a new companion for the Doctor. The two episodes he starred in were so good and they had great chemistry together. Saw him in a play recently and he was hilarious and great at improvving with the audience.

But could a male companion work? Would the show appeal to as many people?

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE "The Snowmen"! Best written episode in years!

Anyone else going to watch the Christmas show tonight? Looking forward to it and the new companion.

No spoilers, but see if you can catch the references to the previous incarnations

Anyone know of where to watch "The Snowmen"? Forgot to DVR it yesterday, and y'all probably understand how much I need to see it
    I just love the Christmas ones. My friend and I were talking the other day about how we couldn't be paid to spend Christmas ANYWHERE in the UK after seeing the Christmas specials...
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Ohh. Fun! I just found an episode on Amazon Prime I hadn't seen last night. It was a Christmas one, sort of like the ghost of Xmas past, present, future. SInce I caught up, I've been pining away.

Snowmen! Memory Snow! Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    You are a lifesaver. I love you as in the you just saved me the frustration of trying to look the episode up online only to find 20 dead end links and spam sites. Which is quite a bit of love I guess.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Ahhhh. Clara.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    You are a lifesaver. I love you as in the you just saved me the frustration of trying to look the episode up online only to find 20 dead end links and spam sites. Which is quite a bit of love I guess.
    You're so welcome! I found that on Christmas when a Downton Abbey fan page shared it.

"Run. Run you clever boy. And remember."

I'm going to have to pour over the Second Doctor's stories to see if I can find any clues beyond the Great Intelligence.

2 members found this post helpful.

I completely enjoyed how they introduced her! I loved the mirror/bowtie scene, it was definitely a great episode and my daughter asked if we could builed snowmen that look like that next time.... HECK YEAH!!!!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode, although I will confess to being REALLY disappointed that the writers wrote another companion who is "in love" with the Doctor. I'd like to see some more variety!

Yeah, didn't love the episode, but I like Clara. And the "love" thing seems immature at this point. We need something . . . more advanced.

One thing I've noticed with DW writing that it takes a long time for the whole story to come out. The writers like to have many different stories lines, most of which aren't apparent until much later. There is obviously something different about Clara since we've seen her die twice. I'm curious to see where they go with it.

The Great Intelligence was one of the Second Doctor's foes. It first showed up in The Abominable Snowmen of which only the 2nd part still exists. You'll have to read the page for the full story. The next time it shows up is in The Web of Fear which is also the story that introduced Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.

From the Great Intelligence's page:
    Writer Neil Gaiman disclosed in Doctor Who Magazine that earlier drafts of his script for The Doctor's Wife implied that House, the villain of that story, was actually the Great Intelligence. These hints did not make it into the episode as aired.
    I'm not completely up on my Classic Doctor stories, so I missed the Great Intelligence reference until it started showing up online, but I could have sworn the "adult" voice of the snow globe/GI was House (it was actually Ian McKellen, where House was Michael Sheen)

Also, remember when Strax told the Doctor that he gave the Great Intelligence the knowledge that the London Underground was a strategic weakness? Guess what the premise of The Web of Fear is:
    The TARDIS narrowly avoids becoming engulfed in a web-like substance in space. It arrives in the London Underground railway system, the tunnels of which are being overrun by the web and by the Great Intelligence's robot Yeti.
    Yeah. So Eleven accidentally triggered an adventure for his Second incarnation!
    Last edited by HighFlyinBey++; Dec. 27, 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

OMG!!! Dr Who sighting, Dr Who sighting! I just saw David Tennet in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which is on tv right now!!!!

How pathetic am I? Is this some big tie in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEWQ3AXrgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC_jddH_0MI