The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Welcome, New Whovian Did you find my previous links to the Doctor Who Wiki site? Because this past Friday (11/23) was the 49th anniversary of the first episode ever. You've got 156 previous episodes to catch up on!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Who knows, that's the beauty of Dr Who, they can do whatever the heck they want! lol
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Ok, if you could order videos of any of the original 8 doctors, which videos would you order? I have a few of the first episodes of the series (William Hartnell) but I've never seen any of the others. I'm still a little confused about the granddaughter business. Does that get clarified somewhere in the first doctors episodes? Thanks! Oh, and I've been following the series since it returned so don't need to catch up on 9, 10, or 11. I just want to catch up on the first 8.
    Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I own all the episodes. Unfortunately for you, I have a very difficult time picking favorites. They all have good points and bad.

You could start with The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors. That will give you a flavor of who each one is. Amazon Prime also offers quite a few episodes.

As far as I know, Susan's identity is firmly established in the very first episode, An Uneartlhy Child.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMet View Post
    The girl in the fireplace was the one with Madame de Pompadour and the clockwork things, they land on a spaceship years in the future and there's a fireplace that leads to 18th century France.
    I like this one so much that when the foal naming theme (each year is a different theme) was French Royalty, we named a filly: Cielo Azure's Reinette... yep -from this episode.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm about to start watching it... Where should I start?? With episode one? There are so many...
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I'd start with the first episode of the Ninth Doctor (the 2005 reboot called "Rose"). That's a good one to get you started and hooked. Once you've gotten caught up, I'd go back and watch the older Doctors. You can go in order or you can pick and choose. Just remember that the older the episode, the campier the "effects" are and it's part of the charm

Though Tom Baker was my first Doctor and long-time favorite, he was supplanted by David Tennant and Chris Eccleston. I think Matt Smith is doing a good job, but I don't like him as much as Ten. I also really miss Capt. Jack (and love Torchwood). Curious to see if they mention that we've already seen the new companion when they "introduce" her.

I liked DW much more when Russell T. Davies was the showrunner.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

I love Capt. Jack. I actually watched Torchwood first, then the Capt. Jack episodes in s1, and then started at the beginning of S1 and went through them all. Somewhere, I have a complete list that fits the Torchwood episodes into the Doctor Who timeline.

BTW, John Barrowman (Jack) is a recurring character on the WB's new show Arrow.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

This is the trailer for the Doctor Who Christmas special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3KVpvEUTns

1 members found this post helpful.

Ginger, I only started watching in the last year because of HighFlyinBey. I agree with her--that's the best place to start. The first episode is kind of stupid with Rose, but you'll get hooked quickly. I really loved Ecclesten. (I love big noses, not these teeny men like Tennet and Smith.)

Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh. Hunky Jack on tv? I'll have to look up Arrow. Man, the sex appeal of that man. I don't care if he likes men. I want him.
    Last edited by Beentheredonethat; Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh. Hunky Jack on tv? I'll have to look up Arrow. Man, the sex appeal of that man. I don't care if he likes me. I want him.
    I know. He is great. Here are a couple photos of him in Arrow.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...n-amell-378657

BTW, when I watched S1 of the new Doctor, I really, really liked Nine and couldn't stand the thought of the next Doctor when he regenerated, but I took to Ten right away. I especially liked him with Capt. Jack, Donna, Martha, and Wilf.

With Eleven, I never cared much for Amy, though I really liked Rory and his dad. Until the most recent episodes, I was disappointed in the episodes after Steven Moffat took over as showrunner.

I've read that John Barrowman would love to come back to Doctor Who as Capt. Jack, but so far he hasn't been asked. It would be interesting to see him with Eleven.

oooh. Ooooh. How about Jack as the new companion. I mean, why must they be so sexist with the companion? The Dr and Jack could flirt away, and we cold look at Jack. And he already has the wrist thingie River has for going through time. And since he was so depressed about outliving everyone, the Dr would be a perfect companion! And they can pick up extras on the way.

I kind of liked the "group" companion one with Amy, Rory, Dad, Nefertiti, and the big game hunter in Dinosaurs in Space.

Oh God, does this mean I need to start watching Torchwood as well? I'll never get caught up!!

Just saw "Rose" tonight, the first of seen of Eccleston. Didn't think I'd like him that much going backwards after watching Tennant and Smith but he made me laugh.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Yes! I started with Torchwood, which is AMAZING. I always felt I didn't quite get something, and when I started watching Dr. Who, I realized it was a spin off. There is a lot of interconnections and "OOOOOOh's" when you figure out the connections.

I'm so pathetic. I'm on Amazon right now looking at Jack dolls and stickers. Gonna get a Tardis sticker, and lots of Star Treck stickers, and I found a great deal on little alien toys and bendable dolls and such.

You'll like Eccleston. The mannequin episode is pretty weak. They get much better. I really like him. He has such a kind, fatherly way about him.

I have a Torchwood Institute sticker on my windshield. Yes, I am a geek.

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    Oh God, does this mean I need to start watching Torchwood as well? I'll never get caught up!!

Just saw "Rose" tonight, the first of seen of Eccleston. Didn't think I'd like him that much going backwards after watching Tennant and Smith but he made me laugh.
    Capt. Jack shows up in a bunch of episodes at the end of that season (plus many episodes in later seasons). You'll definitely want to watch Torchwood after you see Jack.

So am I the only one not excited about a new Companion?

I started watching with the Eleventh Doctor and Amy (and loveable Rory, of course), so I'm still grieving over them. Not sure I'm at all ready for another companion . . .

I am always sad when they change doctors or companions but I am also always amazed how quickly I am won over by them. The "1st" is always a favorite but the writers do a great job, particularly with the Doctor, with a certain continuity of character. I think a companion from the past ( 19th century) would be really interesting.

-barging in unannounced-

yeah, eccleston didn't do anything for me; liked tennant; haven't seen smith yet. (am netflixing my way thru them all.) rose was ok, martha was great, donna--well, i'm glad we don't have to see donna anymore.

liked torchwood; not too thrilled about that last season, but i'll keep watching it. (if you get a chance to see barrowman at a 'con, GO. he's an absolute scream. and i trust we are all watching Arrow, in which he plays a baddie?)