The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    . Is it because Katrina taught valuable lessons? Different presidents? Or is it because Sandy hit New York?
    I honestly think it's because we learned a lot from Katrina -

1 - that preparations and responses to large storms needs to be better/faster

2 - that any perception of delay/indifference by the government would grow into massive criticism from the public.

I'm not going to lie, I think this being an election year with voting just a week away may have played into some of the dramatically fast response/attention this storm is getting from the government (in addition to better people being in charge at FEMA these days). There was perfect timing as part of the political narrative happening right now - the president knows he has to be 120% on top of things because everyone is watching and there are immediate repurcussions. Plus the media loves dramatic election year storytelling.

I also think that Sandy is a pretty historic storm - hurricanes hitting the gulf coast or southern states isn't to be considered "nothing" but it happens semi-regularly. They don't hit the northern states at this size/strength very often at all, plus the range of damage done is pretty impressive (everything from the flooding/power outages to massive snow removal efforts, affecting a dozen states at the same time, etc). I do think Katrina was "worse" - in terms of severity and loss of life, and the overall impact on the area/aftermath (which is ongoing today).

But then, Sandy also brings to the forefront some very big problems with our infrastructure, particularly in NYC, which is very ill prepared for storms like this (which may be becoming more frequent and stronger as the climate seems to be changing).

The timing of Sandy ALSO plays into a lot of frustration on the part of environmental advocates who are further amplifying coverage by pointing to this as a symptom of climate change and using it as an opportunity to lambaste public officials for apparently ignoring the issue completely as of late.

So I think there's a sort of "perfect storm" driving the coverage of Sandy and the government response to it.

(though I thought the coverage of Katrina was intense and more pervasive than Sandy, though it might be that I'm not watching much tv these days and my interwebz time is significantly reduced.)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Many people do not evacuate because of their animals. First time it really came to light was Hurricane Andrew back in the 1990's. Folks in NO stayed because the shelters and transport companies would not allow animals.
    Today accomodations are made for animals so people are more willing to evacuate.

"WE" have learned much since Hurricane Hugo in the 1980's, which by the way affected more than 'just' Charleston. DH lived in Charlotte, NC which was also devasted by Hugo, plus every community in between.

I don't know which is worse - after a hurricane in the South the temps often stay in the 90 degree range providing a wonderful environment for bugs, rotting materials and disease. Hopefully the cold will minimize much of that.

Many jingles for the folks up there. I lived and traveled in that area so have friends and now work associates there.
    It will take months or years to put the transit systems back into service. Salt water is rough on electrical systems - especially electrical systems that are in many cases 70+ years old.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

My family just happens to be from Charleston which is why I said Charleston

One other thing that today could distinguish between even to Katrina and Sandy is that in Katrina time - not everyone had smartphones, I pads, etc. Even in the last 7 years things have become increasingly more accessible, you have access to information updated by the minute almost
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

1 members found this post helpful.

Long term I think it will be important to look at where we are building our cities.... why do we keep rebuilding on the Outer Banks of North Carolina to get slammed time and time again?
    Why do we keep rebuilding cities that are under sea level? Could we be smarter in the future -especially as we keep having more and more extreme swings in the climate?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I haven't been able to keep up with Sandy coverage outside of CT due to lack of cable here. I'm less than 10 miles from the coast, but up 600' alt too. So while we got wind and rain, the sea surge was the huge problem and that didn't affect my town. We were without power just Mon - Weds late which isn't a big deal near me, I'd guess 2 out of 3 homes in my town have generators. But the cable hasn't been restored, which means we have no tv or internet or phone. And reading news om a screen half the size of a business card sucks. Our radio stations don't pick up many NY stations, but been listening to long island country station and the little I hear on there sounds horrible. Heard the folks on LI are pissed and violence is really bad there. Also heard a lot of home invasions with lowlife's dressing like power co employees to gain access to homes and then tying up owners and robbing them. Hate to see a disaster bring out the dregs, so sad. Anyone have more news on NY they can post here? CT is doing okay, shoreline lotta damage but making progress decently.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Most of the media is based in New York, and the storm got up close and personal with the talking heads.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I heard that some crews from other states were turned away because they were not "union"... omg.. at this time, this is important? how?

Quote Originally Posted by west5 View Post
    . . .
    Maybe in part you get more media coverage or at least different media coverage of Sandy because all the major national news stations are based in NY not in Louisiana?
    This is a BIG part of it.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I heard that some crews from other states were turned away because they were not "union"... omg.. at this time, this is important? how?
    Where did you see that? I would love to research it a bit more.

ETA: After Katrina a few local vets made a stink and the v-mat vets (don't know what their official title was, that is what we called them) had to pull out of MS; couldn't be treating animals for free if someone could make $$ off it.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ws_welcom.html

Sounds to me like there was maybe one incident on a local level, yet I am sure that this will become the next big rumor-du-jour... already seen it mentioned several times on fb...

(edited to add: from googling, it looks like the more sensational "they were turned away" story is getting spread far and wide, while the correction isn't. So I am sure that we'll see it mentioned as though it's fact on all the talking head shows and in presidential campaigns. typical.)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Glad to see it is not quite true, but frankly, at this time, who cares??? sheesh...

I like to read hurricane stories, and there is a big fat book out on the subject of Katrina. According to the author, there were a lot of things done wrong by the mayor and the government in charge, and of course FEMA, so hindsight is really strong.
    Also we are talking about New York here - most of the stories are about New York even though Sandy clobbered a whole lot of towns. A local radio host in Lex called "hotwings" commented this AM that NY is planning to host the Marathon this coming weekend - even though there is still no running water or power or transit in many parts of the city,people are going hungry and waiting in long lines for the basics, bodies could still be in the debris, so taking assets away from the people to host this event is STUPID. He said " like we really need 45 thousand people (associated with the race) to go there and GET IN THE WAY"

I think that it has the potential to be just as nasty as Katrina socially, although people aren't trapped in NYC, they can still travel away, and with the levee failures in NO so many people were trapped in the stifling heat and couldn't just walk away, especially since so many of the persons sheltering in place were poor, or elderly, or disabled, without the ability to leave in the first place.

From what I recall of Andrew ( I think that was a Weather Channel special) the hurricane is only part of the problem, dealing with the collapsed infrastructure later is almost a bigger mess.
    Incredible Invisible

I don't think its being covered more thoroughly than Katrina at all, however most of the network evening news programs are based out of NYC. And last I checked, the NYC metro area is one of or the most populous area of the country. The entire coast of NJ, which is a HUGE part of their economy is decimated, many many people are still missing. We will be hearing about this all for a long time as the story unfolds. I agree that it's enhanced by the election, and the fact that it's coming on winter in the northeast and NYC does not generally get hit by hurricanes.

My parents in CT are still without power... and it's getting awfully cold up there

Nobody posted the article where the past head of FEMA criticized Obama for being too pro-active about Sandy? And today's where he said New Yorkers should just chill?
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories...076.html?hp=l7

I think a lot of them are doing a pretty good job of chilling. My mom is on Long Island and they are chilling around the fire to stay warm with other friends who unfortunately lost their house. Hopefully they will get power back soon- but they are thankful the damage was not worse.

I was in China for work when Katrina hit and I remember being on a plane home where the pilot came on and announced that he understood with the state of things people were very upset, but we should all take a deep breath and keep calm so we could have a safe flight (this was maybe 3 days after the storm hit on a flight from SFO to Denver.) I don't think anyone is worried right now that there will be spillover to air rage. I remember Katrina getting a ton of coverage. I do think all of the news shows being local impacts coverage too and it being safe to report from hard hit areas.

Running the marathon will be a PR disaster!! I cannot imagine people wanting to go to NYC right now... this is so utterly stupid... and it starts in Staten Island... talk about a slap in the face of the people there...

Stories like that may be false too - http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/11/...denies_cl.html

Running the marathon will be a PR disaster!! I cannot imagine people wanting to go to NYC right now... this is so utterly stupid... and it starts in Staten Island... talk about a slap in the face of the people there...
    I had mixed feelings hearing about that until how I heard that it raises millions of dollars that will be given in support of recovery efforts. When I think of it as one huge fundraiser, then it doesn't sound like such a bad idea after all.

When I was watching the Today show the other morning I heard one of the news anchors call Sandy "The Storm of the Century" and my first thought was "Well, isn't that just spitting in the face of all the people who went through Katrina?" The loss of life on the Gulf Coast was devistating and while the weakened infrastructure the northeast has suffered was a harsh blow, it can be repaired. You can't bring back the dead.

I too feel that running the marathon is a fool's agenda. I just think it’s stupid to flood a severely weakened infrastructure with tens of thousands of people. It’s like filling a dilapidated building full of people and expecting it not to collapse… Transportation is at a crawl because there is limited supplies of gas. Public transportation is still affected. Some streets are still washed out… But, let’s bring 25,000 runners and spectators who need to eat, drink, pee, poop, sleep, commute and be entertained when we aren't fully capable of caring for our own residents yet. Phenomenal idea!!!

It's very interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. I also wasn't aware of the difference w/ FEMA.

I will say that the majority of my channels way up here in Canada are American, so no, I don't think that has anything to do with it. Nor is it because Canada has been affected by Sandy as I'm talking American coverage and specifically the focus on New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    When I was watching the Today show the other morning I heard one of the news anchors call Sandy "The Storm of the Century" and my first thought was "Well, isn't that just spitting in the face of all the people who went through Katrina?" The loss of life on the Gulf Coast was devistating and while the weakened infrastructure the northeast has suffered was a harsh blow, it can be repaired. You can't bring back the dead.
    And this is part of what I'm trying to say. It's not just mere minutes in the news, it's things like that. It's the type of coverage and the sensationalizing that set it apart from Katrina. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Sandy was much, much worse.

Really. The marathon as a fundraiser is fine but not there and not now. Change the venue if at all possible or hold it at a later date.
    Incredible Invisible