The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Katrina vs Sandy

Looking for thoughts perhaps from those personally affected.

My only knowledge of these storms, admittedly, is through the media. I did not live through either, and while I have lived through some decent storms here, I've been fortunate to avoid such catastrophe.

I am, however, noticing how much media attention Sandy is getting compared to the much-worse Katrina. Many friends make the same observation; Sandy, in New York, seems to be sensationalized by the media, whereas Katrina in New Orleans didn't receive near the coverage. More devastation, but less reaction.

Am I alone in this? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this, in a civil manner.

(It should not be without mentioning that many countries was hit much harder by Sandy and get nary a mention, but one discussion at a time...)

2 members found this post helpful.

Things in NY are always "worse".

When Hugo hit Charleston, it was a CAT 4.

That's not to say this isn't bad, because it absolutely is.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Geez, I remember the coverage Katrina got for days, weeks.
    Of course, Sandy is going to get a lot of coverage. It just happened...
    It s also pretty close to winter in more Northern states and it will be in the news for a long time. Of course, the election date makes the disaster more news worthy.

5 members found this post helpful.

Katrina was very much covered..... Not sure if the coverage is different in Canada??

2 members found this post helpful.

We were well versed in Katrina here im Alabama. Well versed. I am not noticing any bias toward NYC/NJ. It breaks your heart on any coast.

4 members found this post helpful.

I thought Katrina recieved a lot of coverage.

The situation with New York is different in that they aren't used to hurricanes or storm surges and the winter is coming on.

New York has (had?) an entire seven story underground like Chicago that virtually runs the city. New Orleans didn't have that type of architectual city design.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Things in NY are always "worse".

When Hugo hit Charleston, it was a CAT 4.
    I'm not trying to be contrary here but Charleston has a population of under 200,000 people. Even with damage in surrounding areas the numbers just don't come close.

Last newscast I watched I think it added up to over 3,000,000 people without power.

For all the people who have lost their life, their loved ones, their homes to flood waters or fires it is all terrible. It doesn't matter whether it happened during Hugo or Sandy.

I'm not sure why the original poster had to turn it into a "contest"

I guess I shouldn't necessarily say media coverage (though I am noticed a LOT more coverage on Sandy than Katrina, based off American stations). Maybe response time, or reaction, or overall emergency relief. It seems that the response time for Sandy is much faster than for Katrina. Is it because Katrina taught valuable lessons? Different presidents? Or is it because Sandy hit New York? Genuinely, I am curious to hear people's thoughts.

I do wish to emphasize that I am not meaning to belittle the damage Sandy did; there is no mistaking that it is a tragedy. There just seems to be a disconnect between Sandy and Katrina, and it seems quite skewed.

I don't think the OP is trying to turn this into a contest. I think the intent is to discuss the perceptions regarding media coverage of the two events.

I lived in NYC for many years and had the opportunity to witness a number of events first hand and then see how they were described by the media. Sometimes the media got it right and other times the events were sensationalized.

I do think that with the election coming up, all news outlets are hyper-sensitive at the moment, so any big thing is going to get a lot of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by west5 View Post
    I'm not sure why the original poster had to turn it into a "contest"
    It is not my intention to turn it into a contest. Look into the stats, Katrina caused more damage. There's no contesting that, nor is anyone trying to say that people in New York are suffering less. I'm just looking for a bit of an intellectual discussion on why it seems to be much more reacted to than Katrina. Though that might be a very tall order.

I remember the entertainment industry comming together for fundraisers after Katrina. Wonder if that will happen for the east coast. My cousin actually works for the NJT (New Jersey Transit Stystem) he was called in at 8 pm Sunday night and didn't get out of there till 12:00 Thursday morning. He sent me pictures of the main transit yards and it will be quite awhile before the yard can be used. Alot of the tracks were washed out, subway tunnels filled with water, electrical systems have to be checked, the inside of the NJTS got flooded with almost 5 foot of water. This is def. bad. Lower manhatten flooded, Hoboken NJ flooded, this is going to take alot longer to fix than what it may seem. Hundreds of thousands of tons of sand have to be moved, ect... total devastion not so much for new york other than their transit system but for Jersey it's really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    It is not my intention to turn it into a contest. Look into the stats, Katrina caused more damage. There's no contesting that, nor is anyone trying to say that people in New York are suffering less. I'm just looking for a bit of an intellectual discussion on why it seems to be much more reacted to than Katrina. Though that might be a very tall order.
    Ok sorry, I didn't mean to get so cranky. I live here. It is a total mess. Really. People who have lived here their whole lives have never ever seen anything like it

The last time the subway system was shutdown was 1888!

Maybe in part you get more media coverage or at least different media coverage of Sandy because all the major national news stations are based in NY not in Louisiana?

"Maybe in part you get more media coverage or at least different media coverage of Sandy because all the major national news stations are based in NY not in Louisiana? "

I think you are right. Furthermore, NYC really isn't in a big zone for this sort of thing. Kind of like how in Cali people are used to earthquakes and know what to do when they happen. When an earthquake happens in an area that's not expecting one or that is not used to them, it can cause a lot of trouble because the infrastructure isn't in place to handle it. I think a good chunk of NYC and NJ were in this position.

Looking for thoughts perhaps from those personally affected.

My only knowledge of these storms, admittedly, is through the media. I did not live through either, and while I have lived through some decent storms here, I've been fortunate to avoid such catastrophe.

I am, however, noticing how much media attention Sandy is getting compared to the much-worse Katrina. Many friends make the same observation; Sandy, in New York, seems to be sensationalized by the media, whereas Katrina in New Orleans didn't receive near the coverage. More devastation, but less reaction.

Am I alone in this? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this, in a civil manner.

(It should not be without mentioning that many countries was hit much harder by Sandy and get nary a mention, but one discussion at a time...)
    Here in NZ the media coverage seems to me to be about the same. However, we are not experiencing the 'wtf? Why aren't they doing anything to help?' that we did with Katrina. At that time it felt to us, halfway around the world, that we were more aware of what was going on than y'all. I'm rapt there seems to be a more cohesive plan of action now! I'm chalking it up to lessons learnt.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I guess the Good Lord thought that Wall Street needed a rinsing.

I'm sorry

I remember seeing a lot of media coverage about Katrina. It was horrifying to watch. I haven't even watched tv, so I can't say much about NY. I do wonder if the media has easier access to NY than they had to NO and the surrounding area. From my perspective and understanding NO was complete and utter chaos. People could get in there, but it was dangerous and a bit out of control. I also remember observing the chaos of having so many people spread out over the country and the communication system was inept. While many areas are devastated, I don't get the same sense of chaos about NY. Many areas of NY were functioning even on a limited basis shortly after the hurricane. I have a friend who lived under the collapsed crane and he was back home the next day. Plus, NYC is a media hub. A relative works for a news source and he was back to work on Wednesday, I think. They are even planning on having the NY Marathon next weekend.

I guess I shouldn't necessarily say media coverage (though I am noticed a LOT more coverage on Sandy than Katrina, based off American stations). Maybe response time, or reaction, or overall emergency relief. It seems that the response time for Sandy is much faster than for Katrina. Is it because Katrina taught valuable lessons? Different presidents? Or is it because Sandy hit New York? Genuinely, I am curious to hear people's thoughts.

I do wish to emphasize that I am not meaning to belittle the damage Sandy did; there is no mistaking that it is a tragedy. There just seems to be a disconnect between Sandy and Katrina, and it seems quite skewed.
    Response time could be better because of lessons learned, it could be because the Northeast is more densely populated and has more resources close at hand, or it could be because different people are in charge now.

As far as media coverage, again, there is probably more due to location. More big cities in the general vicinity. More big stations/network headquarters - easier access to extra equipment and manpower - less time, effort, and money required to get to the scene. I work for a local news station. We covered nothing but Sandy all day on Monday - because it was directly affecting the viewing area and people were in potential danger. Katrina was a big story in its time, but at thousands of miles away, of course it wasn't covered in that same way. I do know we had something Katrina related in every newscast for weeks and weeks - time and unfolding events will tell if Sandy gets that longevity.

It seems that the response time for Sandy is much faster than for Katrina. Is it because Katrina taught valuable lessons? Different presidents? Or is it because Sandy hit New York? Genuinely, I am curious to hear people's thoughts.
    Head of FEMA in 2005 -a guy who had been a horse show organizer

Head of FEMA in 2012 - a guy who headed Florida's Division of Emergency Response for eight years (a bit of hurricane exposure there), after years of other emergency response experience

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel that help is not arriving quickly enough. But so far we haven't seen any images of abandoned bodies just floating in the gutter or reports of people being shot as they tried to cross bridges with the wrong color skin.

4 members found this post helpful.

New York is the financial center of the world. It is used to running large numbers of heavy machines, transit trains, subways, buses, cabs (yellow cabs are all under water .... that's a first), snow plows ....

All those huge tall buildings have HUGE foundations and there are many levels to some of the underground systems in New York City and the surrounding areas. That is a very dense city. And now some of those levels are full of sea water for two and three stories DOWN under the city, which is corroding the infrastructure under there.

And that's not as bad as what I am hearing about New Jersey. I have friends there that I haven't heard from.

Friends from New York are just checking in now.

And it is getting cold up there.

I hope the best for everyone as the country tries to figure out how to help.

Quote Originally Posted by gdolapp View Post
    I remember the entertainment industry comming together for fundraisers after Katrina. Wonder if that will happen for the east coast. My cousin actually works for the NJT (New Jersey Transit Stystem) he was called in at 8 pm Sunday night and didn't get out of there till 12:00 Thursday morning. He sent me pictures of the main transit yards and it will be quite awhile before the yard can be used. Alot of the tracks were washed out, subway tunnels filled with water, electrical systems have to be checked, the inside of the NJTS got flooded with almost 5 foot of water. This is def. bad. Lower manhatten flooded, Hoboken NJ flooded, this is going to take alot longer to fix than what it may seem. Hundreds of thousands of tons of sand have to be moved, ect... total devastion not so much for new york other than their transit system but for Jersey it's really bad.
    http://bostonherald.com/track/celebr...relief_concert