The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cold weather dress boots?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dress boot that is both warm and formal enough for hunting? I can find all kinds of winter boots, but most wouldn't fly at the hunt!

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you seen the Nordic Lite field boots from Mountain Horse? They aren't dress boots, but they do look like a traditional tall boot so I don't see why they wouldn't work: http://mountainhorseusa.com/winter_n...igh_rider.html
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Check with your hunt's master or handbook. My hunt does not allow anything but traditional leather boots. No winter boots, no rubber boots... I invest in a boat load of those chemical toe warmers each winter and they do the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    Have you seen the Nordic Lite field boots from Mountain Horse? They aren't dress boots, but they do look like a traditional tall boot so I don't see why they wouldn't work: http://mountainhorseusa.com/winter_n...igh_rider.html
    Also in many hunts field boots are NOT acceptible in formal season. Dress boots only. Field boots are for cubbing. Again, this varies by hunt.

Yes, warm winter dress boots that look like formal traditional dress boots. Do they exist? Or is this just a dream...

If you can't find a pair of dress boots that would pass the "fashion police" test, then I would suggest buying a pair that are TOO big around your calf, have a square toe box and are a little wide or a half size to big for your foot.

This allows you to wear leggings or long johns with your boots and allows you to wear a thicker sock and still be able to wiggle your toes.

I use the toe and foot warmers with my winter boots.

The chemical toe warmers need some oxygen in order to work, so it your regular boots fit like a glove, they will not work as well.

I have these. They are great. I remove the insole from my paddock boots or from my tall boots and then slip them in. The bonus for these is that they don't get your feet too hot as they are thermostatically controlled. Sometimes with the chemical warmers the morning is super cold, but by the end of the hunt its nice and warm and my feet are sweating, so still not cozy.

The mountain horse boots I have are leather dress boots. The lining on the shaft of the boot is a kinda of quilted liner. It absorbs sweat, but also acts as an added layer against the cold. They are 7 years old, so I don't know if they don't make them that way anymore. The best suggestion would be to go look at a pair in a tack shop. The toe box (and overall footbed) of the old style MT Horse boots was very generous. Plenty of room for a wool hiking sock and the foot warmers (chemical or battery powered).
    Last edited by jawa; Nov. 2, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: fixing link, I hope

2 members found this post helpful.

http://www.verseo.com/thermosoles.html

This is the link for the battery powered foot warmers.

The new format wouldn't let me go back and edit. It kept jamming my browser. I'll try to fix it later.

I had the same problem and ended up buying a pair of Treadstone boots. They have a fake fleece lining and zipper (nice for winter boots), and are surprisingly warm. The two downsides (besides being to short) is that the leather is kinda sueded and won't take a shine and they're so soft they don't feel like tall boots. ETA: Pretty sure they're these, the "Aspen": http://www.treadstone-inc.com/index....y=36&Itemid=10

Of course, after I bought those, someone posted about these: http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/2130157.html
    The Treadstones are still going strong, but I may have to try the Calevos next.
    ---------------------------

I use chemical toe warmers. If its cold enough our hunt allows the Mountain horse boots (rimfrost or ice rider). I also have the insulated foot in my Dehners that is now an option on the custom Dehners.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Thanks! I'll take a closer look at those cavallo boots and the heated insoles. Thanks guys!

How about these fur-lined Sergio Grassos?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sergio-Grass...item3364d257ce
    Last edited by SillyHorse; Nov. 3, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I have Sergio grassos that I bought a size larger for hunting in- put in ariat insoles in the summer and they are perfect all year. They work great with good snowboarding socks & toewarmers. I've done winter clinics too and they are fab.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Check out this place; http://www.bestboots.co.uk/
    I have purchased from them with great results.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

maybe these mountain horse active winter boots ?
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90013
    Ride a draft - it will make your butt look smaller !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted_Percheron View Post
    maybe these mountain horse active winter boots ?
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90013
    Just saying, these specific boots have been dis-allowed at my hunt. Before you spend money on anything ask your hunt what is approved. Some hunts may find these acceptable but many would not.

I realize it's quite warm outside, so many may not be thinking about winter dress boots, but I thought I would put out a PSA that Ariat Bromonts now come in dress boots! http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-b...ctupfx1gj2eszz

Kinda glad we're not quite so strict with our dress rules here in NZ! Seems odd to not be allowed to dress according to weather conditions.

4 members found this post helpful.

Not all the hunts are strict in the U.S. either. Here in Minnesota, we have late season hunts in October or November that the masters will excuse formal wear so we can hunt. Riders falling off frozen to death is not considered good form, especially if you land on a hound.

Ours doesn't *strictly* forbid things unless they're pretty out there. A friend of mine hunts in field boots, but it is kinda frowned upon. Since I'm the newest member - I'd like to do things right.

I don't need boots that are SUPER warm, if I'm moving I do stay pretty comfortable, but I do need something more than just normal dress boots with thick socks. I can't stand toe warmers in my boots. They drive me insane. Our checks aren't typically terribly long. Generally just long enough to catch your breath, grab a sip of something and then we're off again. I really liked the Ariat Bromonts last year, but didn't want to get a field boot. I'll have to pick up a pair now that they have the dress version of them.

We are required to wear formal wear all season long, but Indiana doesn't really get cold enough that Under Armor and a good Melton aren't sufficient.

I seriously love my Equitector boots. Not only are my dress boots
    warm but they are waterproof. They are indeed leather and are very elegant.

Pricey. But worth it. I got lucky, they sometimes have some "returns" on custom boots that did not fit the intended customer and are resold as a fraction of the price. I am a weird fit for boots, but one day they happened to have ones that fit perfect. $900 boots for $175. And they shipped them back with a promise if I did not like them I could return them no cost to me.

Mine have a zip up the back. And are also very cool in the summer. Two thumbs up.