The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Default Blankets: Which is better, detach-a-neck style or combo high neck style?

My mare has decided that she doesn't do winter (mind you, I live in Texas). She lives outside except when it's raining or still sloppy outside after the rain - and she can handle the cold as long as it isn't cold AND windy (again, I live in Texas - when it's cold, it's windy). I've finally decided to breakdown and buy her a neck blanket - she had a mid-neck one before that she seemed to stay the warmest in, but it was a $50 no-name cheapie from the feed store that I bought in a bind and was happy it lasted the 3 years that it did. I've heard all the theories on blanketing and all, but after 7 years of owning this horse, I've figured out that it's just easier to blanket her when she thinks she's cold than to have to start pumping feed/hay into her to keep the weight on to offset the shivers.

So... those of you that choose to blanket with either the detach-a-neck blankets or the full neck combo blankets, which style do you prefer and why? These are the 2 that I'm looking at:
    Detach-A-Neck: http://www.smartpakequine.com/weathe...x?cm_vc=Search
    Full neck combo: http://www.smartpakequine.com/weathe...A&cm_vc=UpSell

I'm leaning towards the detach-a-neck, just because it has the appeal of being able to be just a standard blanket. Being that it's Texas, we get bi-polar days where it can be in the 40's at night and then get up to 80 during the day..... or in the 20's at night and not much past the upper 40's during the day..... it would be easier to just pull the neck cover. But then there's part of me that thinks it'd be easier to just have her "30s and under" blanket that would be the full neck combo one. Ugh. I think way too much about this stuff. I just don't want to get a detach-a-neck one and hate it, only to find out other people hate it for the same reasons.

I like the blankets with the necks that come off, for greater flexibility.

1 members found this post helpful.

We get bipolar days here in Va too, and I really like the ability to take the neck piece off so the horse doesn't get too warm.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. And I definitely thought I posted this in Horse Care, oops!

Removable neck. It lets you pull the neck off if the temps rise, and the rug is easier to wash without it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have a high withered horse so I find that a combo neck puts less pressure on the withers. I am selling all of my standard necks for that reason.
    I tried a neck cover one year and only used it a couple of times since it kept flipping up and leaving gaps where it connected at the withers. It just was really cumbersome. So I sold the neck cover.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)