The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll chime in a venture a guess that you may have undiagnosed PCOS. I do (though mine is mostly asymptomatic...I don't even believe my ovaries are cystic, though my periods are irregular and I have elevated androgen levels), and after having semi-regular periods in my early teens, they stopped, which is when I was diagnosed. I take Ortho Tri Cyclene (tried the lo and it was awful...completely freaked me out) and yes, every time I stop it my period stops as well. Once I'm back on the pill, everything cycles like clockwork.

For whoever suggested the IUD...I hated mine. Got it in Jan after my first child and had it removed in March.

I gained about 10lbs with it and got aweful joint pain, headaches, muscle aches and was a general b*tch to everyone. Had that puppy taken out and all was right with my little world.

I went off BC last year in order to concieve my son...and I was SHOCKED at the dramatic change in my body. I had been on it since I was 18, so well over 15 years.

My motion sickness went away, migrains stopped...its like my body returned to "normal". Went back on the pill after I had the IUD taken out and all of those symptoms returned...motion sickness, water retention, etc.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    For whoever suggested the IUD...I hated mine. Got it in Jan after my first child and had it removed in March.

I gained about 10lbs with it and got aweful joint pain, headaches, muscle aches and was a general b*tch to everyone. Had that puppy taken out and all was right with my little world.

I went off BC last year in order to concieve my son...and I was SHOCKED at the dramatic change in my body. I had been on it since I was 18, so well over 15 years.

My motion sickness went away, migrains stopped...its like my body returned to "normal". Went back on the pill after I had the IUD taken out and all of those symptoms returned...motion sickness, water retention, etc.
    TXjumper--which one did you get? I don't have any personal experience with them, though I've considered one. However, several of my colleagues have them. The copper (Paraguard?) one has no hormones, but is just as effective, from my understanding. Two girls in my office have it because they can't tolerate hormonal BC for various reasons.

I'm one of those who has to be on BC to have regular periods, and it still doesn't prevent irregular bleeding. My hormones are so out of whack that doctors and research type folks have been just drooling over my blood samples since I was 16- and I'm not just talking repro hormones. My endocrine system is just whack.

I'm not a monster fan of the fake hormones and what they're doing to my body, but I was even less of a fan of hormonal swings so bad that I would try to kill myself. My current GYN is just absolutely boggled by my body's ability to override BC. So really, sex and pregnancy avoidance is not my main motivation (though pregnancy would probably kill me)- it's about staying sane and alive.

Back to the original question, though, and what I'm saying in a round about way- yes, the body can do many fascinating, irritating things. I still get my period even when I'm supposed to be skipping (Seasonique and Nuvaring), and don't get my period when I'm supposed to (Yaz, Yasmine, Ortho Lo).

I'm on Lo Loestrin and I never get a period while I'm on it. Which means every so often I panic and take a pregnancy test to make sure I didn't accidentally get pregnant (which my husband finds amusing). The doctor won't let me get an IUD since I haven't had a child yet, so this is basically my only option.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I'm on Lo Loestrin and I never get a period while I'm on it. Which means every so often I panic and take a pregnancy test to make sure I didn't accidentally get pregnant (which my husband finds amusing). The doctor won't let me get an IUD since I haven't had a child yet, so this is basically my only option.
    That's bull. I'd talk to someone else if you want an IUD.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    Yeah. I got one without a problem and I don't have kids. Insertion probably hurt more because of that but whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    I've had two doctors tell me that and that it had to do with the fact that things were too tight down there and that it is much easier to insert after you have had a pregnancy. At this point I am thinking it doesn't matter TOO much since we are planning on having a baby within the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I agree with Jazzy Lady. You need a new doc--they're following really outdated guidelines. Someone up to speed on current science and recommendations knows that it doesn't matter.

yep total poppycock, To who ever hated their IUD what did you have? I've had all of my gyno's say to stay the heck away from copper, they can make you bleed WORSE and cramp worse and have a higher tendency to get stuck the only reason you would use one is because your doctor or yourself is old school, or you want to have a period as you may not get one with a miraina. (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    BC is regularily prescribed to women with irregular periods or poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I know you said you were "checked out" but were you checked for PCOS?

I have irregular periods off the pill and it's borderline whether I have PCOS or not. I have cystic ovaries, but don't meet other common PCOS symptoms (obesity, acne etc - I'm stick thin and have great skin), but I stay on the pill whether in a relationship or not because of the cystic ovaries and irregular periods.
    I have PCOS and one of the hallmarks of the disease are irregular cycles. There are other fun symptoms too, like weight gain, acne, and facial hair. But irregular cycles are pretty classic PCOS. If you haven't been checked you probably should be.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Also, if it is PCOS - BC totally masks it, which might be why you are only having your period while on BC (I was the same way when first diagnosed, they put me on Beyaz, but I had to quit taking BC due to really bad side effects I was having) but doesn't do anything to help it. The root of PCOS is insulin resistence so you really need to work on correcting that, so you don't wind up with type 2 diabetes or one of those other diseases.

I got the mirena. It did not make my periods or cramps worse...I still had periods with it, but I dont think I had it long enough for them to stop.

I had it put in 2 months after my son was born...and it wasnt exactly fun...the Dr did say that your cervix dialates easier after having a child, so maybe thats what your Dr meant when he said that?

I could have delt with a lot of the side effects it caused if it didnt cause the joint pain...I felt like all of my major joints were bursting, not nice!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    I'll chime in a venture a guess that you may have undiagnosed PCOS. I do (though mine is mostly asymptomatic...I don't even believe my ovaries are cystic, though my periods are irregular and I have elevated androgen levels), and after having semi-regular periods in my early teens, they stopped, which is when I was diagnosed. I take Ortho Tri Cyclene (tried the lo and it was awful...completely freaked me out) and yes, every time I stop it my period stops as well. Once I'm back on the pill, everything cycles like clockwork.
    Sorry I just noticed this - Natalie you can have PCOS without cysts. Cysts aren't always a part of the disease, even though the word is in the disease name. I've read your post a couple of times so if I'm reading wrong I apologize -but if you have't been formally diagnosed and you are having problems with your cycles you should really look into being diagnosed and trying to correct the insulin resistence. PCOS is more than just crazy periods, the insulin resistence part can lead to other illnesses and cause big problems. Good luck to you.

ETA - I'm going to leave what I wrote originally but I just read this again, and I see now where you said you are diagnosed. But still good luck to you.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. PCOS is an interesting thought. I don't have any of the other symptoms (I googled it) but that doesn't mean anything without talking to a doc or doing bloodwork.

I am not crazy about being on BC for the rest of my reproductive life just to have regular periods. So hopefully there is a better solution!

why are you having periods at all? the current trend is to get on BC that suppresses all periods. There's no reason why you have to go through the "bleeding", which serves no purpose, when you're not trying to get pregnant. It's much healthier for your body to go on a continuous no-period BC regimen than it is to spend years ovulating/bleeding, over and over again, without a pregnancy occurring.
    People talk about BC being "unnatural", but what is unnatural is cycling endlessly for years without getting pregnant and breast-feeding. In a "natural" state you'd get pregnant at age 12, breast-feed for 4 years, and then repeat, and you'd experience very few actual ovulation/menstruation cycles throughout your lifetime. Since most of us don't want to actually "return to nature" in this way, the healthiest option is to go on a continous BC regimen that sort of convinces your body, hormonally, that you are pregnant all the time so the futile cycling stops and your body can "rest".
    The best option today is go with one of the hormonal IUDs- mirena, etc., and yes, even if you have no kids you can get one of these.
    If not, then your best option is to go on continuous BC with no "breaks" for bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I have PCOS and one of the hallmarks of the disease are irregular cycles. There are other fun symptoms too, like weight gain, acne, and facial hair. But irregular cycles are pretty classic PCOS. If you haven't been checked you probably should be.
    Yes I've been tested. I have the cystic ovaries and irregular periods, but do not have many of the other symptoms. My doctor explained it to me as being a syndrome, not a disease. And with a syndrome you do not have to have all the symptoms in order have PCOS, nor will you necessarily have all the problems associated with PCOS. ie insulin resistance, problems conceiving etc. I do not have acne, problems with insulin resistance or struggle with my weight. So my point is, it's possible to have PCOS without meeting all the classic symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Sorry I just noticed this - Natalie you can have PCOS without cysts. Cysts aren't always a part of the disease, even though the word is in the disease name. I've read your post a couple of times so if I'm reading wrong I apologize -but if you have't been formally diagnosed and you are having problems with your cycles you should really look into being diagnosed and trying to correct the insulin resistence. PCOS is more than just crazy periods, the insulin resistence part can lead to other illnesses and cause big problems. Good luck to you.

ETA - I'm going to leave what I wrote originally but I just read this again, and I see now where you said you are diagnosed. But still good luck to you.
    Thanks shiningwizard--I've had it under control (well, as much as you can I guess) for a little over a decade now.