The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 257
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    I don't have anything to worry about. If they didn't change things my kid would be off that swim team. Period. I don't need others to change their life so that I can enjoy mine. Tough beans. I would hope my kids or step kids would appreciate that I am teaching them to stand on their own and not let ANYONE bully them into thinking something is safe when it isn't. Male genitalia do not belong in the girl's locker room! END OF STORY!!!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein


    5 members found this post helpful.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2009
    Location
    College View
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    The case the OP brought up involved nudity, sexual issues and gender issues. All issues in which a parent would probably like to have control over what their minor child is experiencing.

    It doesn't matter to me what what color, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, etc etc my kid's neighbor, teacher, doctor or whatever is. Once their clothes come off, I want to have some imput as a parent.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2009
    Location
    College View
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    So what about the man who comes back from Iraq with no male features where his genitals used to be, and pees from a hole due to a road bomb? Do you think he should then go into female locker rooms? Because he doesn't have male organs...

    If people would recognize that gender is about the brain, not the body it would be much easier to accept.

    And to the poster worried that someone might pretend to be female in order to molest a kid in the locker rm...you have far more to worry about with just letting a boy use the boy's locker room. Look at the Penn state scandal. The best thing you can do is talk to your kids early about sex, privacy, and what is not allowable for others to do to them, and give them the tools to repel a pedophile, and feel they can talk to you regardless of the subject.
    That is not even remotely close to this issue. That is the equivalent of saying a woman that had a double matectomy shouldn'tbe allowed in a women's locker room.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    That is not even remotely close to this issue. That is the equivalent of saying a woman that had a double matectomy shouldn'tbe allowed in a women's locker room.
    But there are people saying that having male genitals means they are male and should use the men's locker room. Putting colleen in a men's locker room would be ill advised when she is otherwise dressed as a woman, and is TG.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2009
    Location
    College View
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    I never said that

    Edited: oh d'h.... sorry... I mis-read... you didn't indicate I did! Sorry!
    Last edited by headsupheelsdown; Nov. 2, 2012 at 04:34 PM.



  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,533

    Default

    To the posters that have an issue with a TG person using the locker room...so you also feel that gay people should have to use the opposite sex's locker rooms? Because someone that is attracted to the same sex, can freely use the same locker room as your son/daughter. I guarantee you that you've showered/been naked with gay people. And they didn't make a move on you...Imagine that.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,509

    Default

    I'm curious and uneducated about the niceties of sexual differences. What's the difference between homosexual tranvestites, male and female, who effect mannerisms of the other sex and a transgender person? Is it what they have decided about their own sexual assignment?

    To me gender means nothing except for the existence of sexual organs of one sex or the other. Dress as you like, behave as you like, have sex with people who have your own sexual organs or with people you don't, doesn't matter. Where is the scientific evidence to show that sex assignment is innate? What organs or hormones that come from the chromosomes don't function as they would in a heterosexual with the same sex organs. Show me the studies that find measurable differences. I CAN be persuaded by scientific evidence, not psychological.

    Educate me with proven facts.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,903

    Default

    Why did the swim team have to move to the smaller locker room? Why didn't the transgender person have to move?

    Agree totally that this person does not belong in the locker room with the HS swim team. He admits he's "a man living as a woman since 2009." Totally different than he's a she.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    I had women make passes at me in a ladies room when I was in high school. It happened where I worked. It also happened in the military. I think it is wrong and I thought it was wrong then. I don't think bathrooms should be coed and I should not have to fend off advances from a woman in a bathroom!

    This instance highlights that this man has the equipment to commit a sexual offense against a young girl. HE doesn't belong in the woman's room, locker, showers etc until he IS a woman.

    It has NOTHING to do with phobias or anything else! Logic, reason and common sense!!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    I have the feeling that if this woman did go into a men's locker room she would be severely bullied.

    I have two transgender FTM (female to male) friends. They are 17 and 19 and are JUST NOW coming out to those around them. This is a very unsure transition for them but it's who they are, it's who they've been since they came out of the womb. Although neither of them engage in situations+ where they'd be in a locker room, they use the male bathroom, etc.

    Also..
    Homosexuality is not a lifestyle, it's WHO YOU ARE. To say that people CHOOSE to be homosexual is just completely wrong. I have lesbian friends who liked the girls in their KINDERGARTEN class before they ever heard the words 'gay' or 'lesbian'.

    The claims that people can go to counseling, etc, to 'fix themselves' (although I acknowledge that has not been mentioned on this thread) makes me want to cry. There is a GENETIC CODE for homosexuality. They are just as much of a person as you and me.

    Sorry, it's a sensitive topic for me... but having the transgender/gay/lesbian friends that I do, and loving them just as much as I love my straight friends, it's something I'll defend until I'm dead.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!


    9 members found this post helpful.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,509

    Default

    Suppose pedophilia is just as innate as transgenderness. Should pedophiles be protected? I'm wondering about some of the language in some of the non-discrimination local laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual preference. If one's sexual preference is children, are they protected? This is something that will inevitably come up in court.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2012
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Suppose pedophilia is just as innate as transgenderness. Should pedophiles be protected? I'm wondering about some of the language in some of the non-discrimination local laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual preference. If one's sexual preference is children, are they protected? This is something that will inevitably come up in court.
    I think that's a stretch and a straw man argument. It's not a crime to in your head have a sexual preference for children, but acting upon it is actual assault. It does not constitute assault to be transgendered.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyPeep View Post
    cry. There is a GENETIC CODE for homosexuality.
    You say this. Show me the scientific proof for your statement.

    I happen to believe that MOST sexual orientation is psychological not physical.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    11,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Suppose pedophilia is just as innate as transgenderness. Should pedophiles be protected? I'm wondering about some of the language in some of the non-discrimination local laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual preference. If one's sexual preference is children, are they protected? This is something that will inevitably come up in court.
    Coming Soon To A Theatre Near You!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!



  15. #115
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2006
    Location
    Evansville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    This instance highlights that this man has the equipment to commit a sexual offense against a young girl.
    Unfortunately, sexual offenses can be committed with all kinds of equipment. A penis is certainly not the only tool available if someone was so inclined.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland


    5 members found this post helpful.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2012
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    I had women make passes at me in a ladies room when I was in high school. It happened where I worked. It also happened in the military. I think it is wrong and I thought it was wrong then. I don't think bathrooms should be coed and I should not have to fend off advances from a woman in a bathroom!

    This instance highlights that this man has the equipment to commit a sexual offense against a young girl. HE doesn't belong in the woman's room, locker, showers etc until he IS a woman.

    It has NOTHING to do with phobias or anything else! Logic, reason and common sense!!
    Same-gender assault happens all.the.time. Perhaps the bigger issue is intermingling of adults with children in an un-supervised setting.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Suppose pedophilia is just as innate as transgenderness. Should pedophiles be protected? I'm wondering about some of the language in some of the non-discrimination local laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual preference. If one's sexual preference is children, are they protected? This is something that will inevitably come up in court.
    No, it isn't, and it's not.

    Also, again, this is not about sexual preference, it is about gender identity.

    I will respond to your question despite the fact that it is wildly off topic.

    Pedophile will never be a protected class because there will never be a consenting relationship between a pedophile and a child.

    Comparing a consensual relationship between two adults to a predatory relationship between a pedophile and a child, who is unable to consent to any such relationship, is preposterous.

    I am not, however, certain what locker room the pedophile should use. I feel the one in the prison would be most appropriate.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit


    12 members found this post helpful.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    This instance highlights that this man has the equipment to commit a sexual offense against a young girl. HE doesn't belong in the woman's room, locker, showers etc until he IS a woman.
    Trust me, I also have the "equipment to commit a sexual offense against a young girl". So do you. I am a women with the usual women-parts, and I assume you are too.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Pedophiles have been saying this for years. THey were born that way. They have sought equal protection under the law for sometime. THey use gay marriage and support for transgender folks to bolster their claims. I DON'T KNOW!!

    I can't say. I know I have gay relatives who never sought marriage who were accepted as if that is just the way things were WITHOUT laws to protect them. They never came out, they just were. Committed relationships etc. Nothing was any different for them than anyone else in the family. It never occurred to me to say anything, they were just that way. ALSO end of story.

    Maybe it wasn't an issue because there was quiet, solid, family support. I don't know. Maybe because it wasn't shoved down Grandma's throat it was fine. It was never an issue and this in a rather conservative family.

    What this man does with his life is up to him. How it plays out in my world, does. Manners and boundaries allowed for people to live in close proximity without killing each other. Respecting boundaries makes for more peace than expecting legislation to make everything ok for those who are different and what they choose to DEMAND from others.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2006
    Location
    Evansville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    You say this. Show me the scientific proof for your statement.

    I happen to believe that MOST sexual orientation is psychological not physical.
    In rams there have been studies that seem to indicate that homosexuality is not necessarily genetic, but that it is biological.

    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-bbh030804.php
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland



Similar Threads

  1. Barns in State college PA?
    By 5thfillie in forum Eventing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr. 5, 2013, 07:05 AM
  2. Work in State college PA?
    By 5thfillie in forum Dressage
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun. 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
  3. Directions from the North to the State College show
    By Talk of the Town in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2010, 06:47 PM
  4. State College Classic Horse Show
    By Jake's Dad in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul. 3, 2010, 01:08 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec. 1, 2009, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •