The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Dirty ceiling

Wintertime at my barn is for cleaning and fixing. The ceiling is covered with brown specks. My trainer says it is fly manure. It has been there for 10 years maybe. The ceiling is metal sheets screwed to rafters. The power washer uses much water to get it clean. The aisleway is hard dirt that does not absorb water. Cleaners with acid are dangerous for man and horse. The barn is too big to scrub with a brush. I am sure COTHers have cleaned the ceiling of their barns before. What did you use?

Thank you.

Power washer with clorox. It is messy but the clorox is not harmful.

The water from a power washer will not absorb in the dirt. You can not sweep the aisle. The dirt is uneven. Shavings for the whole barn would be expensive. They want to clean above stalls also. Thank you.

If power washing is a no-go, then you might consider a leaf blower or doing it by hand with a large, dry broom. These methods will not be as effective as power washing, but they will remove some of the grime. (And I believe the brown specks are more likely to be dust blobs that have formed in moist conditions, especially if you can see them from floor level. Fly specks are quite small.)

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    Power washer with clorox. It is messy but the clorox is not harmful.
    I just had a huge vet bill for our cat after washing down the siding on the house with clorox water . Evidently she walked around in the puddles and then licked her feet so if you have cats keep that in mind.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nylonalter View Post
    The barn is too big to scrub with a brush.
    Says you

I'd recommend a bucket of HOT water and a house brush on a telescoping handle. Might take a few passes. One pass to soak them and loosen them. A second to actually move them.

I am of the old school of cleaning. Hot water and a brush. And yes, I have been known to scrub the outside of my house, the (4 bay) garage, the chicken coop and the garden shed. How else are they supposed to get clean

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    And I believe the brown specks are more likely to be dust blobs that have formed in moist conditions, especially if you can see them from floor level. Fly specks are quite small.

*star*
    This is very possible. This dirt has been there for 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Says you

I'd recommend a bucket of HOT water and a house brush on a telescoping handle. Might take a few passes. One pass to soak them and loosen them. A second to actually move them.

I am of the old school of cleaning. Hot water and a brush. And yes, I have been known to scrub the outside of my house, the (4 bay) garage, the chicken coop and the garden shed. How else are they supposed to get clean
    I will take a picture of HIS face when I tell HIM that scrubbing with a brush is needed. He is tall enough to stand on the floor and scrub. She is not.

http://www.comforthouse.com/14galminstep1.html

Is this a house brush?

Quote Originally Posted by nylonalter View Post
    I will take a picture of HIS face when I tell HIM that scrubbing with a brush is needed. He is tall enough to stand on the floor and scrub. She is not.

http://www.comforthouse.com/14galminstep1.html

Is this a house brush?
    LOL! Mine is more along these lines
    http://www.amazon.com/Carrand-93088-...escopic+Handle

Never said it would be fun....

We just bought a house from a heavy smoker and had to scrub all of the walls to remove the tar, and the subfloors (due to her peeing dog(s)). We used bleach water & brushes and made two passes (after that it was by hand with different solutions).

The key was a brush on a broom handle. We used a tampico fiber brush (got it at Home Depot--any janitorial supply store would have them). The Tampico fibers hold water better than man-made, but it is tougher than a sponge-type, which would have shredded.

YMMV.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W