The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Skunks, damn them all - deterrent suggestions?

Dog got skunked, again, last night. Need advice, but here's the quick summary first:

Skunks started showing up about 2 years ago. Have had dogs for the last 10 years, so getting skunked is a new problem. I live in suburbia, but back to ball fields and a vegetated detention pond. I have a crappy lawn, so have grubs, which I know skunks forage for. Our elderly neighbors also feed the critters - birds, rabbits, chipmunks, and so it seems - skunks. I've already called the municipality I live in to limit our neighbors feeding of the wildlife (felt bad, but skunking blows).

We've got a "skunk bucket" all set up - peroxide, baking soda, Palmolive and commercial skunk solution too, so we got the cleaning process down pretty well.

Here's my question(s):

1. Dog got hit in the mouth - the outside of her smells fine, but if she eats, pants, licks, or just freaking breathes to0 much, it smells like fresh skunk. Any suggestions for that? Can't exactly put baking soda, soap, and peroxide in her mouth...

2. How can I get rid of or deter the skunks? Seems like the only predators of these little bastards is a car. The hawks and the foxes aren't helping.

1 members found this post helpful.

A direct skunk hit on dogs really does blow-my hounds got a full-on, 'emptied their sacks' strike by a pair of skunks directly into their faces. I tried everything to remove that odorous material and couldn't do it. My poor lovies slept outside for several nights because I couldn't have them near me without gagging-and I'm not easily sickened-it was baaaad.
    Now, I was recently told (heard, read, saw on TV?) that skunks don't like base music. Playing music with lots of base (maybe some non-racist Celtic Punk or some lovely Viking Metal?) would do the trick. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but putting a speaker in the garden might be all it takes. Seems cheaper than trapping, and, if it doesn't work, maybe it'll encourage the neighbors who keep feeding the wildlife to move

our elderly neighbors that feed the critters are near 90...when they pass on, I might have to burn the house down, the chipmunks are so bad.

Bass music...interesting idea. I did read ammonia soaked rags work too. May also call the municipality and see about a "catch a release" program

OK - this is going to sound weird...
    Years ago I was getting my hair cut, and a woman came in looking for a bag of hair sweepings. She insisted that if she put them in her garden, it kept the skunks away. I have no idea if this is true...but she seemed pretty convinced....

Mothballs work.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I actually bought mothballs for the mice in the garage (they've been eating car engine wires).

moth balls are a bit on the scary toxic side? I'm sort of ok using them in the garage for the mice because my dogs don't go in there, but how would you suggest using them in an open environment?

I have had good luck getting rid of lawn grubs with Milky Spore. It's a natural bacterial enemy of the grubs and, though it's a bit pricey to apply, it should last for decades. It's an organic control and harmless for non-target bugs/animals/humans - so no pesticide worry.

Might be easier to teach your dog to "leave it" and ignore the skunks.

Had the same sprayed in the mouth event this summer. Months later and her breath still stinks of skunk.
    Milky Spore or pesticide like Dursban to kill the grubs in the soil will remove that food supply for the skunks and some other grub eating pests but if your neighbor continues to eat, the wild things don't need that food source.
    I've heard that clean human hair or deodorant soap in knee high hose and tied to low tree branches and/ or fence posts should help.
    I had some luck spraying a coyote urine spray I found at Gander Mountain in the hunting section. I pretended I was a coyote and 'peed' here and there near places the skunks, opposums and raccoons were coming in my barn. Had to respray every few weeks and after a hard rain but it did cut down on the wildlife in my barn and I couldn't smell it at all.
    It's all worth trying; any port in a storm!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    our elderly neighbors that feed the critters are near 90...when they pass on, I might have to burn the house down, the chipmunks are so bad.

Bass music...interesting idea. I did read ammonia soaked rags work too. May also call the municipality and see about a "catch a release" program
    Forget catching and releasing a skunk... You will get skunked. They panic and spray when trapped. Ammonia rags work.. also make sure your yard is not full of grubs. Milky spore works the best and works for years. And will not harm anyone but the grubs. It stays in the ground!. Skunks Adore grubs!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.