The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Steuart Pittman

Has anyone ever clinic-ed with him? Is he good with young horses? I have an opportunity to go, just curious as some clinics are great and others, not so much...TIA

There are numerous videos online -- go to his website at Dodon Farm and check out all the videos related to the Retraining Thoroughbreds program -- you can easily do the research related to your question online, and see for yourself if it suits your own horse or goals. In addition if you are in the area he is supposed to be leading a seminar at Fair Hill today and I am sure it's free to observe. He also writes a great blog which will also give you insight. I think Steuart has a HUGE background in young horses, Thoroughbreds off the track, etc. and it's all evident online.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

thank you, retread. I was just looking and reading some of his blogs. He seems thoughtful and kind. Still, it would be great to hear from some who have experienced him...again, thanks, back to the wwweb for more info.

I saw him at the Horse Expo in Harrisburg and caught bits and pieces of his presentations a few times there. From what I saw I really liked him a lot. Very easy to understand. Dieing to clinic with him or take a few lessons at some point soon.

A friend of mine took a lesson with him a few months ago and loved it. She's got a difficult quarter horse and Stuart seemed to understand him immediately and gave her a lot of exercises to help her work with him and get his brain working. She really enjoyed the lesson and wants to take more once she comes back from an injury. I would love to lesson with him if he weren't so far from me!

1 members found this post helpful.

Here is a delightful blog post on taking a lesson at Dodon Farm:

http://mcukme.blogspot.com/2012/06/m...odon-farm.html

Steuart is great!! I have done many clinics and lessons with him over the years. He is funny, kind, and knowledgeable. Our local riding club has him down for clinics occasionally and he's always fantastic. TBs are his specialty and he works with plenty of babies and green beans. Go!!

Steuart is fabulous, very laid back and a great trainer. I've never rode with him personally but I have friends who board with him and he's come to my barn to teach as well. He's quite good with greenies as he specializes in homebred TBs and is now focusing more on OTTBs. Do some googling. He's very active in the local industry, head of the Maryland Horse Council and the Retired Racehorse Training Project. He's hosted great seminars at Dodon and has written some wonderful training articles as well. I think you'd really enjoy a clinic with him.
    "As one of those weirdos that always enjoyed the grooming tasks that most others didn't, Kirsten decided it was time to make the most of it and create Shear Convenience Grooming"

I did a clinic with him - it was a private lesson style- and I really enjoyed it. I as riding a green OTTB who was new to jumping. He explained things well, had lots of patience, and understood the horse. We had a very successful clinic and both the horse and I learned a lot.

I did a flat clinic with him. He was great. I watched him ride my horse and was amazed at how well he started to go in just about 10 minutes. Then he had me get back on and showed me how to ask properly for what I wanted. IIRC the cost was reasonable and it was worth every penny.

I don't know if I'm the odd one out.. but I did a clinic with him this past spring, and was actually quite disappointed in his teaching. He almost was more of an onlooker rather than a clinician. I don't want to go into details on a public forum, but OP, if you want I will talk over PM!

2 members found this post helpful.

Steuart has tons of experience with babies, greenies, and the growing Retired Racehorse Training Project for OTTBs. He also has competed and instructed into the upper levels. I trained with him almost exclusively from my childhood until college, then worked for him over the summers home from college. His tactical, yet not always the most obvious approach to working with a student and horse, especially a difficult horse, is thoughtful and goal-oriented. He is great at explaining things and helping to fine-tune details, or make an epiphany for you if you need it. If you have the chance, I would definitely try a clinic with him, especially for a young horse.
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

3 members found this post helpful.

I did a clinic with him in the last year and was very disappointed.

It was a lower level clinic and my horse and I were well prepared and in the appropriate group. There were 4-5 of us, one horse that was pretty green.

The green horse did not have much jumping experience but was very naturally talented. Steuart was amazed by this horse and made a huge deal about how much of a scopy jumper it was. I totally agreed, it was a very nice horse! However, he spent the rest of the clinic talking to the rider about how to bring her horse up the levels, what shows to do, etc. He also took her to jumps that the rest of us couldn't jump yet so we just had to wait.

I know this may come across as jealously, or sour grapes, but I have no hate toward the rider or her horse... I was disappointed because the rest of us had paid the same amount of money and did not receive the same attention or respect.

Is this the type of situation that may never happen again? Probably, but I did not like the way it was handled and they way I was made to feel like I was not as important.

I respect what he is doing with OTTBs but was not impressed with the clinic.
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse

2 members found this post helpful.

I did a clinic w/ him this year and was also quite disappointed. After reading his blogs & website I had imagined someone who would be more of an 'active' teacher. He told me to go jump this this and this, and gave me very little feedback. He didn't address any of the issues I'd hoped he would. So, I really didn't feel like I learned anything helpful that day.
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe